EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
AMD Ryzen and XR
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
red assassin





Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Posts: 593 on topic
Location: Oxford, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Mar 17, 06:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

pjknibbs wrote:
Oh, certainly, but they have to pick optimisations that will work well on all platforms. Back when the Pentium first came out, which required instructions to be re-ordered in a very specific way to get best performance, it was an easy decision to support that in a compiler because doing so did not adversely affect the 386 and 486 processors the code might otherwise run on. Nowadays, it's all a bit more complicated.

gcc at least has the option to optimise for a particular microarchitecture, with or without retaining compatibility with other processors. That's a bit of a specialist option though; as you say most binaries will just need to run well on a variety of processors.


_________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxxbl





Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 85 on topic
Location: Ireland
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 14. Mar 17, 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Terre wrote:
AMD Ryzen Performance Negatively Affected by Windows 10 Scheduler Bug
Quote:
A newly discovered bug in Windows 10’s scheduler has been found to be negatively affecting performance of AMD Ryzen CPUs. The bug has been confirmed to affect all Windows 10 versions but not Windows 7. It’s not clear yet if Windows 8.1 is affected.

A truer picture will emerge with time.


Looks like AMD debunked that theory in the latest community update

It seems everything is OK with Ryzen thread scheduling on the Windows10.


_________________
X3AP vanilla: Super-Magnate / Crusader
X:Rebirth: 565 hours play time, I am addicted..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 6751 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Mar 17, 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

foxxbl wrote:
Looks like AMD debunked that theory in the latest community update

It seems everything is OK with Ryzen thread scheduling on the Windows10.

At the moment it looks like there are problems when switching threads between core clusters.

The high temperatures which are being recorded, appear to due to a deliberate 20°C offset, just plain daft in my opinion, AMD are not helping their cause with such decisions.

From an AMD community post.
Quote:
AMD's Robert Hallock
By the first week of April, AMD intends to provide an update for AMD Ryzen™ processors that optimizes the power policy parameters of the Balanced plan to favor performance more consistent with the typical usage models of a desktop PC.



_________________
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamina





Joined: 26 Jan 2014



PostPosted: Thu, 16. Mar 17, 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The next Ryzen processors with 6 and 4 cores and SMT are now officially revealed by AMD to be released 11. April, already! Very Happy
Originally it was said to be released Q2 but who would have thought?
Unfortunatly, all four processors are just deactivated 8 core units and therefore those configurations were already benchmarked by PC magazines as such and gaming performance is still below expecations.
Prices range from 170 to 250 $.

Personally I find all of this confusing af. How are intels processors priced for the same performance and how are intels processors performing for the same price?
When reading those tech magazines they already expect you to know every intel i-series processor in existence. Confused D'oh

Terre wrote:
The high temperatures which are being recorded, appear to due to a deliberate 20°C offset, just plain daft in my opinion, AMD are not helping their cause with such decisions.

What decisions? Is it 20° higher or lower? And which fault is it? AMD or the software programmers?


_________________
Code:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 6751 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 16. Mar 17, 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Tamina wrote:
Terre wrote:
The high temperatures which are being recorded, appear to due to a deliberate 20°C offset, just plain daft in my opinion, AMD are not helping their cause with such decisions.

What decisions? Is it 20° higher or lower? And which fault is it? AMD or the software programmers?

The offset is higher, AMD say it's to do with the fan profiles and how they are reported, then interpreted by the testing software.


_________________
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matthewfarmery





Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 1080 on topic
Location: England
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 16. Mar 17, 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Tamina wrote:
The next Ryzen processors with 6 and 4 cores and SMT are now officially revealed by AMD to be released 11. April, already! Very Happy
Originally it was said to be released Q2 but who would have thought?
Unfortunatly, all four processors are just deactivated 8 core units and therefore those configurations were already benchmarked by PC magazines as such and gaming performance is still below expecations.
Prices range from 170 to 250 $.

Personally I find all of this confusing af. How are intels processors priced for the same performance and how are intels processors performing for the same price?
When reading those tech magazines they already expect you to know every intel i-series processor in existence. Confused D'oh

Terre wrote:
The high temperatures which are being recorded, appear to due to a deliberate 20°C offset, just plain daft in my opinion, AMD are not helping their cause with such decisions.

What decisions? Is it 20° higher or lower? And which fault is it? AMD or the software programmers?


I suspected this would be the case, AMD cutting corners. Then the new processors won't be any better then the 8 core versions. well, looks like I won't be touching AMD for the foreseeable future then.


_________________
[http://gamerschoiceuk.com/ a multi game help site that offers help for X2, WoW, guild wars and many others
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pjknibbs



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 28261 on topic
Location: UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 16. Mar 17, 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

matthewfarmery wrote:
Then the new processors won't be any better then the 8 core versions.


I don't think anyone really expected them to be, although there was some hope. However, they might still have Intel beat on price/performance; the cheapest Intel CPU which is a quad core with hyperthreading is the i7-7700, I think, which is around $300, twice the price of the equivalent Ryzen.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
red assassin





Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Posts: 593 on topic
Location: Oxford, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 17. Mar 17, 00:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ryzen gets you more threads for your money than Kaby Lake, but the individual thread performance isn't as good. Depends on your workload which is going to be better; I don't think it's as clear cut in favour of Intel as some people are suggesting.


_________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamina





Joined: 26 Jan 2014



PostPosted: Fri, 17. Mar 17, 00:30    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Well since "games do not use 8 cores" and the 4 core version is essentially an 8 core processor, gaming performance shouldn't drop at all, right?
Then the gaming performance of an R7 1800X for 200 $ against an i7-7700 for 300 $ should actually beat intel for the buck, right?


_________________
Code:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geek





Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Posts: 9248 on topic
Location: Lave station, Lave (-3,-6)
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 19. Mar 17, 02:56    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

pjknibbs wrote:

However, they might still have Intel beat on price/performance; the cheapest Intel CPU which is a quad core with hyperthreading is the i7-7700, I think, which is around $300, twice the price of the equivalent Ryzen.

I doubt HT is worth it for games though. The cheaper 7600k is probably going to be the real competition.


_________________
Right on commander !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrbadger





Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Posts: 5655 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 19. Mar 17, 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Has anyone here actually bought one?

I realize such a major purchase isn't all that common, but I'm curious.


_________________
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BugMeister



MEDAL

Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 3711 on topic
Location: elsewhere..
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 20. Mar 17, 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

you'd be crazy to run it on a Windows7 system..
MS have said they can't support the upgrade - same goes for Kaby Lake..


_________________
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! Very Happy Thumb up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamina





Joined: 26 Jan 2014



PostPosted: Mon, 20. Mar 17, 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

BugMeister wrote:
you'd be crazy to run it on a Windows7 system..
MS have said they can't support the upgrade - same goes for Kaby Lake..

In their first press release they were a little bit vague and harsh.
It sounded a bit like: If you try to run the newest processor generations with Windows 7 it will be blocked.
Did they specify?

Not that I care, I am using Win 10.


_________________
Code:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tracker001





Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 840 on topic
Location: The Cave
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 21. Mar 17, 05:18    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@ linolafett

You may be interested in Jayzz2cents " Video Editing on the Ryzen 1800X - 30 Day Ryzen Challenge "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIIb5uZfukU

He does do a head to head compair with Ryzen and Intel here as a "Getting Stated"


_________________
Book TV
https://www.coursera.org/#
I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
David Herbert Lawrence
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tamina





Joined: 26 Jan 2014



PostPosted: Tue, 11. Apr 17, 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

- Today, AMD has released its Ryzen 5 processor for the main market.
And it looks like they are beating Intel this time in gaming as well (against similar priced processors).
- Game developers also updated some games for Ryzen, increasing performance up to 32 %.
Additionally a Windows 10 power profile for Ryzen was published squeezing out some additional %s.

Hopefully Egosoft optimizes their upcoming games for Ryzen as well.

I am happy, though. Need a new budget PC and/or laptop mainly for work and sometimes a bit Egosoft. Right on cue Very Happy
When prices decrease in the next few weeks I am going to benchmark XR Very Happy


_________________
Code:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Tue, 16. Jan 18, 17:42

All times are GMT + 2 Hours


Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2018
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.12468 seconds, sql queries = 29