EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Why we don't have Player HQ in X-Rebirth yet?
View previous topic :: View next topic
mr.WHO

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 21. Jan 17, 21:43    Post subject: Why we don't have Player HQ in X-Rebirth yet? Reply with quote Print

I know this might sounds pretentious, but ever since X3 Reunion we got the PHQ as a late patch add-on.

Therefore with every X-Rebirth patch notes (like 4.10) I feel that huge dissapointment.
Not to mention this would be the case where god damn station walking would be a thing that actually shine!

...and no - HoL Warehouse doesn't count as PHQ.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 21. Jan 17, 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

would this kind of Station suit your Taste?

its not finished by a long shot (many Modules still need to be placed, the build tree has to be cleaned up and special handling for this special build tree has to be implemented).

I also wanted to crowdsource NPC Positions for the Ring Interior Platform, but because i didnt get a single reply regarding that (neither "where are the NPCs?", questions of how to send me the Positions, nor any Reply with collected Positions) i have frozen that Project currently..

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter Wink

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help Wink
mr.WHO

PostPosted: Sat, 21. Jan 17, 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

It's beautiful....and would propably make my CPU cry too (these wouldn't be a tears of joy).

birdtable

PostPosted: Sat, 21. Jan 17, 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Do not know what "crowdsource NPC Positions" or "collected Positions" means but I was impressed with the scale,, would not make my cpu cry.
Not another "wait" or "soon" or worse still "maybe never".
Watched it twice.....Good Stuff Smile Smile
Needs unfreezing ....

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 21. Jan 17, 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Please note that UniTrader is a 3rd party modder alongside being a volunteer forum official - rather than an Egosoft dev. Just in case any of you became confused.

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 05:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Very very nice! I was about halfway through, and thinking "the Teladi will be so envious", and was about to come comment here - and then you hopped off the Skank and went walking around on the bio-ring! Very Happy Lovely! Although I see you have it set up in Far Out (maybe near Exhaustless Mines?), does it ship with its own sector? Razz

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

this was just a Test Version somewhere with good visibility.. the Player will be able to choose where its built in the final Version - with one restriction: it has to be its own, empty Zone, and there wont be any other Build Spots available because they would overlap

Also planning to give it its own Jumpbeacon Build Stage at some point

and yes, i am not an EGO Dev.

and to get back on Topic (ok, slight diversion):
What kind of Functionality could/should the HQ provide to the Player?
because i think "a few" here expect more than just a gigantic Warehouse when they get it, but there are no actual suggestions what an HQ should provide (besides being a Station called "HQ" and that it would be "awesome"), so you might end up with exactly this. similiar to walking in Stations (this "idea" was stated so often and it would be "aewsome" - but rarely if at all someone posted ideas what could actually be done there. and in the end they got implemented almost exactly as wished/stated)

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter Wink

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help Wink
BigBANGtheory

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Even if a PHQ existed at this point I'd think it would make sense to save it. This is the sort of desirable feature that will put a nice fat tick in the box for X4 where as if it were presented now you'd just see it as a recycled asset in the future.

mr.WHO

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

UniTrader wrote:

and to get back on Topic (ok, slight diversion):
What kind of Functionality could/should the HQ provide to the Player?
because i think "a few" here expect more than just a gigantic Warehouse when they get it, but there are no actual suggestions what an HQ should provide (besides being a Station called "HQ" and that it would be "awesome"), so you might end up with exactly this. similiar to walking in Stations (this "idea" was stated so often and it would be "aewsome" - but rarely if at all someone posted ideas what could actually be done there. and in the end they got implemented almost exactly as wished/stated)

Here is my old idea post, maybe you find some inspiration here.
I know some of these ideas might be too ambitious for a mod.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4574595

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Well, the "whole zone to itself" is hardly surprising! (And a lot more realistic than my "a sector to itself" tongue-in-cheekery.) As to what I think it ought to include, here are some thoughts off the top of my head (as I type this, I have no idea what's coming next - expect incoherence! Razz)

[Items marked NEW signify Rebirth-specific concepts that are not analogous to previous PHQ features.]

- Firstly, I found the PHQ in the X3s to be quite good. Its main deficiency, in my opinion, was the lack of proper EqD services (such as engine tunings etc, and installable non-ware equipment such as software extensions, JD, etc), but those are specific to previous Xs and not applicable in XR.
- Shipbuilding facilities are an obvious priority, along with the ability to install/reverse engineer ship schematics (as previously implemented.) S/M, L and XL facilities, which can run in parallel (improvement over previous implementation) - I suspect you already have this in, given what I've seen of the station.
- The ability to recycle ships was nice too (as previously implemented)
- Repair facility (as previ... etc)
- Large storage capacity, and ability to trade - naturally (and again, as previously implemented)
- ReSpray function was nice - I suspect XR's handling of ship models may preclude this, however.
- NEW: the ability to store hired crew? (Cryo tanks? OK, maybe a more humane set of quarters and cafeteria - probably cheaper to run, too... Razz )
- NEW: universe-wide trade range, perhaps? (Just a thought - not positively advocating it, but may be appropriate.)
- NEW: crew training-over-time-for-money facility? (as above, just a thought)
- NEW: integrated ArmsTech? I personally have no strong feelings about this either way, but it would seem to make sense. If implemented, it could be an optional module/s that can be added on, and cost AT LEAST as much as the conventional ones.
- NEW: the above leads me to a thought: perhaps the capacity to add ~4 or so modules of player's choice could be nice, though personally I'm not crazy about this. However, on the plus side, it would make the HQ more personalised. What might make this interesting is the ability to tear down a module for replacement with another.
- NEW: HQ asserts ownership of its zone, thus listing law enforcement as... oh crap, it would Ren Otani, wouldn't it? SIGH....

I understand that all of the above are speculative, and some may not even be doable, or for that matter necessarily desirable - just throwing out ideas that can be considered, rejected, or perhaps even implemented.

Hmmm, my wishing well appears to be dry for the moment... problem is, I hadn't thought about this in the last before now... (If anything else occurs to me, I'll be sure to post.)

EDIT: Mr.WHO, I see we think quite similarly - or else some things are just so desperately needed that they're obvious Very Happy I can't believe I forgot the refuelling module, though! Oops

-
The Write Stuff
birdtable

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

1. The ability to trade effectively .. Seperate buy and sell depots.
2. Shipyard, repair and refuel.
3. Would be nice as Raven stated to find a way to embelish your own ships.
4. Education facility for training staff

Most ideas if not all bear remarkable similarity, my personal favourite would be to create a totally self enclosed functioning metropolis of trade, construction and production with the ability for enemy races to use tradeships without the fear of attack from the HQ.
In my opinion it would be preferred to create a new sector with a few zones.
A lot of requests , would have liked to have seen more of the station...
Really hope this comes to fruition just in case X4 is not X4....

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Sun, 22. Jan 17, 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

birdtable wrote:
The ability to trade effectively .. Seperate buy and sell depots.

Oooo, good one! I've wanted this sort of thing ever since I met my first station manager, and found that (intermediate) wares can be either bought AND sold, or neither bought NOR sold, and can't be unlinked - not to mention that separate buy and sell thresholds for quantity and price can't be set.

-
The Write Stuff
Ormac

PostPosted: Mon, 23. Jan 17, 03:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Possibly include a staff shuttle service with all the other features of the HR department.

Not sure how balanced it might be for ship staff transfers if sending 2-3 clusters away for example. Not just as be staff for the new ordered ship.

-- Ormac

birdtable

PostPosted: Mon, 23. Jan 17, 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think uniTraders PHQ would have filled a big product hole that exists at the present time ...
Even an early access trial product/HQ would have been better than a vacuum.... A bit like nature.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

PostPosted: Mon, 23. Jan 17, 19:24    Post subject: Re: Why we don't have Player HQ in X-Rebirth yet? Reply with quote Print

mr.WHO wrote:
I know this might sounds pretentious, but ever since X3 Reunion we got the PHQ as a late patch add-on.

We did? I must have played different X3 games then. Wink

Only X3: Reunion got the PHQ in a late patch (2.0). In X3TC it was included from the beginning. Whereby the requirements were so great that it took indeed a lot of time to get it. That way it may have seemed as if the PHQ was an addition to the late game. In X3AP the PHQ was again included from the beginning, whereby it took three months from release to the 2.0 patch before an actual plot made it available to the vanilla player.

As for why an PHQ like station wasn't included in the game yet, I think there's still a major disagreement on when the game became playable or what still needs to be done so that it becomes playable. A PHQ (as provided in the X3 games) has always been a facility for the late game. However, before you can target the late game, you have to provide early and middle game content. And so, next to bug fixes and performance improvements of course, gameplay elements covering the "early" game had to be targeted first. Now while it would be time to target the late game, we're unfortunately at the end of the development cycle of X Rebirth. If you have a look at Egosoft's previous games, then none of them received a major update after three years after release. (With this statement I do not want to deny the general long time support by Egosoft for their games. But it still sets an expectation of what is likely to come and what isn't.) And including a PHQ station with the features mentioned here certainly qualifies as content for a bigger update. Additionally, I feel what BigBANGtheory mentioned is extremely important too.
Moreover, looking at the suggestions here in this thread, I get the feeling that many requests are supposed to work around current features, which do not work as people want them to work. From a development perspective I would ask, if these features get changed or fixed, why should they be limited to a PHQ station and not be available anywhere? And as soon as they are, in fact, available anywhere, then what are the really unique features that warrant having a PHQ? Station walking, to pick one example, was disliked by many players, because there isn't any dedicated gameplay implemented, which makes station walking and personal interaction worthwile in contrast to just contacting the persons through the comm system. So what is really needed to let that feature "shine" is not a different kind of station where you can walk around - as soon as the novel feeling of discovering that place wears off, you will be again where you are with station walking right now -, but new features to make the whole station walking thing worthwile. Once you have these features, you don't necessarily need a PHQ to show them off, but can do so on any station.

birdtable wrote:
Even an early access trial product/HQ would have been better than a vacuum.... A bit like nature.

Oh come on, you know that this is nonsense. No one wants an unfinished product. Especially if it's not clear, if it ever gets finished.

xkcd: Duty calls