EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Scripting Engine Discussion (split from Updates Announcement. AP)
View previous topic :: View next topic
bambikaka

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 16:00    Post subject: Scripting Engine Discussion (split from Updates Announcement. AP) Reply with quote Print

Shimrod wrote:
Great to hear about X4. Crossing my fingers for a scripting engine!

i wish, it was one of the best parts of x3 Sad

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Shimrod wrote:

i dont think there is any need for that because every EGO Game since X≤ has one.

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter Wink

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help Wink
bambikaka

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

UniTrader wrote:
Shimrod wrote:

i dont think there is any need for that because every EGO Game since X≤ has one.

well, xr does not have it... at least its nothing like we had it in x3.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

bambikaka wrote:
UniTrader wrote:
Shimrod wrote:

so you want to deny that AI and MD Scripts exist? sure, they work diffrent than the ones X3 had, but they do exist. They may not be internally editable anymore, in preference for External Tools (the latter being a long-standing wish by the Scripting Community btw Rolling Eyes )
denying their Existence isnt helping your cause, quite the opposite - it makes you look like you have no idea what you are talking about..

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter Wink

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help Wink
bambikaka

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

UniTrader wrote:
bambikaka wrote:
UniTrader wrote:
Shimrod wrote:

so you want to deny that AI and MD Scripts exist? sure, they work diffrent than the ones X3 had, but they do exist. They may not be internally editable anymore, in preference for External Tools (the latter being a long-standing wish by the Scripting Community btw Rolling Eyes )
denying their Existence isnt helping your cause, quite the opposite - it makes you look like you have no idea what you are talking about..

lol, poor try, nobody was denying anything, you know just as i know i was talking about the internal editor and thats called scripting engine... notepad isnt one.

Ketraar
Moderator (PortuguÍs)
Moderator (PortuguÍs)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Shouldn't a SW dev know what a scripting engine is? Or how do you think those xml files are parsed, magic? Rolling Eyes

MFG

Ketraar

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ketraar wrote:
Or how do you think those xml files are parsed, magic? Rolling Eyes

Nope, the Magic was in X3, especially the Price Calculation Very Happy i doubt anybody knows how it actually works, and afaik it has been unchanged since X-BtF

bambikaka

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ketraar wrote:
Shouldn't a SW dev know what a scripting engine is? Or how do you think those xml files are parsed, magic? Rolling Eyes

MFG

Ketraar

did you mean a mod? hmm, not necessarily... xml files are parsed by xml parsing not scripting, you know scripting is the process of writing the scripts and a scripting engine is what allows the user to write scripts... parsing/compiling them is an other category. but i quit this pointless offing...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 17, 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

bambikaka wrote:
you know scripting is the process of writing the scripts and a scripting engine is what allows the user to write scripts...

Nope, a Scripting Engine is the Part of a Program which interprets and executes small Programs (aka Scripts) to run in the Environment given by the Scripting Engine. Where these Programs/Scripts are written is not part of the Definition - it may be internally in the main Program, like in X2/X3 (which has this as primary method of Creating them, and that is VERY unusual for Scripting Languages. As secondary means to write and test short sequences of Code, or point to external files to be executed, it is far more common) or, more commonly, by Text Editors, which even have helpful highlighting and Block Folding for them. (Example for a proper Editor would be Notepad++, and examples for Scripting Languages primarily edited this way are Lua, Bash and Windows Shell (aka bat(ch) files))

Ketraar
Moderator (PortuguÍs)
Moderator (PortuguÍs)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 9. Jan 17, 00:01    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

UniTrader wrote:
Nope, the Magic was in X3, especially the Price Calculation Very Happy i doubt anybody knows how it actually works, and afaik it has been unchanged since X-BtF

You refer to RelVal I presume and yes it has "magic" noted in the comments of the var. Very Happy

MFG

Ketraar

jack775544

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 17, 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Despite the scripting being perfectly fine in XR, I would definitely have no complaints if it was something a bit less unwieldy as XML in X4.
My dream would be a Python package written by egosoft that could interact with the game, but that is more my love for Python then anything else Smile

Ketraar
Moderator (PortuguÍs)
Moderator (PortuguÍs)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 17, 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

But mind that many of us modders are not programmers and thus a more simple approach like xml will allow more people to create content.

MFG

Ketraar

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 17, 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

bambikaka wrote:
UniTrader wrote:
bambikaka wrote:
UniTrader wrote:
Shimrod wrote:

lol, poor try, nobody was denying anything, you know just as i know i was talking about the internal editor and thats called scripting engine... notepad isnt one.

People who edit XML in notepad scare me Rolling Eyes

But yes, to clarify the terms we use: A Script Engine is the part of the game which parses the script files and executes them. IIRC it started with the X2 AI engine, then the X3TC Mission Director. XR has one for AI and one for MD but they share a lot of functionality and syntax.

The in-game Script Editor is what is not in XR, just as the X3 MD didn't have one. Visual Studio is usually the standard for that kind of XML editing, although I expect notepad++ has some plugins to help.

I'm not going to start on the pros and cons of each approach, just wanted to clear things up.

ubuntufreakdragon

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 17, 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

the .xml reduces pretty much the reading speed, and for newbies it could be pretty difficult to understand that they have to close tags etc.
And from logic Point the xml scripts work like a programing language so non programmers have to learn programming for both. Rolling Eyes
a non compiled lang like Python script might be a better approach.
the xml approach was good for tfiles but xml md and ai should die, so Ketraar has to learn something new Razz

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist
Ketraar
Moderator (PortuguÍs)
Moderator (PortuguÍs)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 17, 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
the xml approach was good for tfiles but xml md and ai should die, so Ketraar has to learn something new Razz

I already have a job, not having a sensible way to mod the games will only result in me playing more EU4 instead. Razz

MFG

Ketraar