nms has nailed it [docking]

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

would you like to see this kind of docking back in XR2?

obviously, it would be so much better than fake landing
73%
no, it looks boring
28%

Total votes: 40

dfm5000

Post by dfm5000 » Sun, 1. Jan 17, 03:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBfRxnyoH8

Should work the same way in space!!

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 01:58

bambikaka wrote: well, imo ED has it too long and after the 5th docking it gets tedious even... XR had it too short (well, none in fact), x3 and nms had it about right. anyway, other than going on autopilot how X3 took too long? :) you just had to fly in the hole and youve got instalocked... i know its about opinions but i dont understand this :) and we all know XR2342 will never be ED in details so imo its pointless to expect it. its like wanting a crysis3 kind of fps gameplay. it would be nice but, oh cmon, be realistic :)
In-station navigation is one of the most tedious parts of ED. Due to its MM0 nature, there is no way to skip the cutscenes and many people in fact resorted to "trade logging" where you actually skip the departure sequence if you log out and then log back in. Personally, without a combination of that and a docking comp I wouldn't be playing it at all. X2 had it kinda similar, but it also had the ESC key to skip the entire thing both on the way in (I think, it has been a long time) and on the way out. Immersive docking becomes choirs when you try to actually play the game.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 04:56

whats the point in nice landing, parking a bigship IN the stations roof is enough, UI AI and general gameplay need massive work, docking is only a side node.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 07:37

kurush wrote:In-station navigation is one of the most tedious parts of ED. Due to its MM0 nature, there is no way to skip the cutscenes
Luckily X4 will be, again, a singleplayer game, so that downside can be avoided.

kurush wrote:Immersive docking becomes choirs when you try to actually play the game.
I found that docking in or at a station is usually far more interesting the the journey to get there. And it actually shows your skill at piloting. Lets hope X4 will have collision damage again.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 10:26

Graaf wrote: I found that docking in or at a station is usually far more interesting the the journey to get there. And it actually shows your skill at piloting. Lets hope X4 will have collision damage again.
Yeah, it is fun to do it occasionally. But not when you are doing some trading pretty much on auto-pilot. And if X4 has collision damage, I surely hope it is not as broken as it was in X3. I'd rather have no collision at all than what we had in X3.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 11:03

X3's collision damage isn't broken. It's working as intended.
Are you sure you're not complaining about AI pathing?

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 15:58

I also think that X3's collision is fine - I'd rather have collision even less forgiving than X3's, than the rubber spaceships we have in Rebirth...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

bambikaka

Post by bambikaka » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 18:51

RAVEN.myst wrote:I also think that X3's collision is fine - I'd rather have collision even less forgiving than X3's, than the rubber spaceships we have in Rebirth...
joining the tribe, i want to see collision damage instead of bouncy rubbercraft(p)s. and on top of it space games dont need pathing, thats silly, they need collision avoidance systems, kinda like x3 just better made... current processors can give up an entire core or even 2 just to do avoidance checks, use it pls.

ps, i love your sig. so true... is "Idiocracy" coming?

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 06:26

Graaf wrote:X3's collision damage isn't broken. It's working as intended.
Are you sure you're not complaining about AI pathing?
I am complaining about accidental clips resulting in game over, valhallas getting stuck in the gates, springblossoms clipping in the adjacent docks, Hyperion(?) dying when leaving an internal dock, this kind of things. It was a huge mess and I am glad you guys enjoyed it :)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 06:55

bambikaka wrote:joining the tribe, i want to see collision damage instead of bouncy rubbercraft(p)s. and on top of it space games dont need pathing, thats silly, they need collision avoidance systems, kinda like x3 just better made... current processors can give up an entire core or even 2 just to do avoidance checks, use it pls.
An interesting point, and although I'm no expert, intuitively this makes sense to me - in fact, to me it seems that enhanced collision-avoidance would be LESS processing-hungry than convoluted pathing algorithms. I think maybe a hybrid of the two - short-range, real-time-updated pathing (say, looking ahead 20km or so) to plan smarter approaches. ie. not fly at centre of a rock and wait till the last second to avoid it, but rather fly more naturally around it, but not plan too far in advance.

bambikaka wrote:ps, i love your sig. so true... is "Idiocracy" coming?
Hahah - that movie isn't a parody comedy, it's a satirical future DOCUMENTARY! :D
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 10:58

btw! nms landing is a piece of sh*t.

Not sure if the op refers to the sequence or what, but when landing in nms you can't see whats bellow and have to aim landing platforms counting seconds basically because you canT manuver the ship properly (quite arcadeish manuvering in nms)... No NO!

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 12:29

Think its just about docking in space stations the topic is about, nothing to do with landing on planets.

Which i agree is about the only good thing in NMS. Is the space station docking.

Its simple to do you just fly to the entrance. You auto go in and the ship lands itself in a parking space. There is some ship traffic which i liked. This would be very nice in a x game. I think there was some in x2 but not 100% sure as its been along time since i docked in one of those stations. Actually x2 is a bit like nms docking when i come to think of it.

I miss x2. Best of the x games, great colorful and fancy interface not the minimalist rubbish you get nowadays. Can fly loads of ships and had cockpits, designs were interesting tho parts between races were samey sometime which was a bit of a shame. Good docking in x2 tho xbtf had the best feeling of docking imo due to the voice overs, camera sequences and the opening of the hatches etc but x2 was a close 2nd, x3 stripped out docking to just a simple docking arm and now xr has taken docking totally away all you do is just fly to a station and hit dock and your auto transitioned to inside already landed which is a shame.
Last edited by Skeeter on Tue, 3. Jan 17, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 17:00

Skeeter wrote:... You auto go in and the ship lands itself in a parking space. There is some ship traffic which i liked. This would be very nice in a x game. I think there was some in x2 but not 100% sure as its been along time since i docked in one of those stations.
There is no actual in-station traffic in X2 (I agree, it would be nice!), but you can see some of the other ships that are parked, which is something.
Skeeter wrote:I miss x2.
Me too, which is why I occasionally fire it up and play a bit.
Skeeter wrote:Good docking tho xbtf had the best feeling of docking imo due to the voice overs, camera sequences and the opening of the hatches etc ...
I also very much enjoyed those - I particularly enjoyed docking at Boron stations and seeing that "underwater" effect inside - it differentiated them, adding to immersion (pardon the pun! :D ) There were some similarities between X:BtF and X2, and I also believe that X2 was a slight step backward. Both games, though, at least offered some interior diversity that was based on the function of a station - in a mine you could see a huge rock drill, farms looked agrarian, and so forth. I miss that - I also agree with you that, in this regard, X3 was a MAJOR step backward (and yes, XR takes that even farther in the wrong direction - although we now have station interiors to walk around in, they are almost completely generic - only the shipyards are slightly distinguishable, and really not enough to count.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”