EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Commands/Features that XR or next title needs
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nikola515

Thank you for registering your game
modified
PostPosted: Sun, 13. Nov 16, 01:49    Post subject: Commands/Features that XR or next title needs Reply with quote Print

Having game with this scope and limitless numbers of possibilities needs proper tools and controls to manage it. What we have is ok for beginning but it gets annoying later in game. Here are some changes that I would love to see....

Sell All Junk: When we come to trader we should be able to sell everything that we don't need for crafting. Selling one by one and moving that scroll bar left and right is just boring.

Sell/Buy All: We should have option where we can just buy everything without getting in to that scroll bar option. For example just click one button and you buy all marines trader is selling. Same for selling things....

Build Whole Station: Scrolling and talking to architect just gets annoying especially with its annoying voice Rolling Eyes Option to build whole thing would be best solution for this especially when we build more than one station at the time (or like 10 in my case).

Building Ship Quota: Building one ships at the time is just take too much time especially when later in game. For example I want 10 ships I should be able to order them at once.

Buy Fully Equipped Ships: It takes way too much time equip ships especially if you have more than one. There is no reason why each ship needs to be built manually. This would solve lots of time for player..... Many times I just quit playing because it would take me hours to build and equip all my ships Evil or Very Mad

Fix My Squad: All S/M ships in your squad should be able to get fixed just like Skunk. For example when we dock and we want to fix Skunk we should have extra option for or squad. So NPC Engineer can fix our small ships just like Skunk.

Full Fix : With this we can fix Stations/Ships without going trough too many options.

Last edited by Nikola515 on Sun, 27. Nov 16, 00:25; edited 1 time in total
exogenesis

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 13. Nov 16, 02:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I've thought about this aspect of the game & on the face of it I completely agree with all of that,
especially the 'build whole station'.

However I think the game design philosophy is to keep you involved,
even/especially at the micro-managament/build level,
such that you don't quickly get bored with constant instant 'do everything' in one click.

Would be (probably briefly) nice to issue a few commands & sit there in SETA while your fleet/empire evolves in front of your eyes, but this is a game where you have to 'be the commander' & make the effort to do things.

My swear-box is quite full from various mini-annoyances of the game,
including all your points, but on balance it's good to have to make the effort to create your empire.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 13. Nov 16, 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

All those are very good suggestions and will have the benefit of speeding up the pace of the game with no compromise to balance. I like the idea about fixing the small and medium ships same as Skunk a lot. Currently I do not bother repairing them.

Buying fully equipped ships is good too, I would add, that it will be better if there are more configuration options, and you could save those configurations to mass produce ships.

Nikola515

PostPosted: Mon, 14. Nov 16, 03:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@exogenesis

I get what you are saying but too much micromanagment can be a bad thing. It is to the the point that you dont have time to play game it self but miromanagae everything manually. Gameplay becomes more like chore later in game. Of corse i dont wont to get rid of all options just add something that help us later in game so things dont get overwheliming when you have your empire. I hope Ego reconsider this in future...

Edit: Personally I would love to see something similar for what they did with complexes in X3. Not what was a fun micromanagement Wink Set them up once the way you want and problem solved (unless your trader gets blown up because it went trough Xenon/Pirate sector Razz).

@Santi

Same here when it comes to squads.... It's just too much work to fix them all the time in shipyard and than wait until they get back. Especially when we need to fix them one at the time. I just dont use them because that same reason....
Uneversal setup sure sounds good Wink Set up all my ships how i want them built and no more manyally ajusting each ship Wink This would be good tool wiht player HQ or Shipyard if we ever get it in XR...

RAVEN.myst

modified
PostPosted: Mon, 14. Nov 16, 06:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

One tedium I would love to see eased is the crew setup of multiple capital ships. For starters, the vanilla Skunk can only hold one capital ship crew, after marine officer and Skunkgineer, so that means lots of swapping in and out. It ought to be possible (again, perhaps mainly in the later game) to "store" much more personnel, so some sort of personnel transport ship might apply for that task (or simply hiring staff without them HAVING to board one of the player's ships right away - they could just chill at whatever station they're at, until assigned.) The "TP" ship would still be useful for transporting a whole lot of crew members to a destination - for example, say, 2 or 3 recently captured ships.

Furthermore, it needs to be possible to assign crew to a ship that is being built, and have them stand by at that shipyard, automatically boarding once the vessel is ready - that way, we wouldn't have to hang around like pedophiles in trenchcoats outside a school, waiting for the ship to be completed, so we can get onboard to REPLACE the useless default captain and add in the engineer and the DO. Alernatively, here again the "TP" ship could be of use. Or, the ship construction options could include automatic hiring of crew, with different costs for different skill levels.

In short, one of the main problems with crew management is that the player needs to be PERSONALLY present for EVERY crew assignment - this may be OK in the early game, but later on it's another thing that ought to be able to be delegated. List could (arguably, "should") be implemented for available hired crew (in "storage" either aboard on TP or hired and standing by on various stations), and for crew available for hiring (the latter perhaps through some sort of software upgrade or such, even if it's quite pricey, if it's desirable to ensure that this option be reserved for the later game.) The latter would be to avoid all that tedious "smalltalk" crap, and time-consuming mass hiring-and-firing.

EDIT: Corrected typo

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Last edited by RAVEN.myst on Mon, 14. Nov 16, 11:16; edited 1 time in total
Nikola515

PostPosted: Mon, 14. Nov 16, 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

You are 100 % right. I find that extremely tedious as well.....
It is somewhat fun when you build your first ship but when you come to point of building multiple ships it is different story.

Perhaps solution would be to ask NPC shipyard manager to hire crew for you. We pay him/her one time fee and he/she will keep hiring crew automatically for you (price of crew will be included with ship). Also the higher reputation you have with that race better quality of crew will be.

SolVali

PostPosted: Mon, 14. Nov 16, 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Pretty much agree with all said here.

A repair/restock command that sends an entire fleet to repair and restock. (need to have seperate bays for that, otherwise you'll clogg up the building)

And stations definitly do need a 'build all' button. I find the best way to build a station at the moment, is to have 4 transporters running around gathering all the materials i need, add up the amount i need for the station, then dump it in the CV. Then all i need to do is go wait till she said 'module complete' then do the next, and so on. I leave out all weapons till last) For weapons i have a weapons transporter, picks up all the weapons i need, then upgrade all, and have the transporter drop the weapons off.

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Mon, 14. Nov 16, 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nikola515 wrote:
Perhaps solution would be to ask NPC shipyard manager to hire crew for you. We pay him/her one time fee and he/she will keep hiring crew automatically for you (price of crew will be included with ship).

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm getting at.

Nikola515 wrote:
Also the higher reputation you have with that race better quality of crew will be.

I LOVE this idea - would give another dimension of relevance to faction reputation, and a logical, plausible correlation to quality of people the player then attracts (this concept could also be extended to crew hiring in general, maybe?) Combined with crews gaining experience with...erm... experience, this could work really well.

-
The Write Stuff
Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Wed, 16. Nov 16, 03:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Not sure if a it is a command but it does fit within the spirit of the thread.

Assign managers to managers, same as we do with ships, we should be able to assign managers to other managers, or to make it more simple, to assign several stations to one manager.

That manager will think of all the stations as a Super Station or Complex and exchange wares via ship as needed. Then, we only need a simple switch like "buy/keep/sell" for every ware to create close loops of stations, and have more control over what we sell and buy.

Nikola515

PostPosted: Wed, 16. Nov 16, 04:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@ RAVEN.myst

I always thought reputation should give us more than just discounts. Perhaps reputation should unlock new commands that can make things easier ? NPC manager or NPCs in general would do more for you becuse you are more famous and revered. This would be more like perks where they will find good crew for you or take multiple quatas for ship and loadouts. This way it wont really spoil getting your first crew at beginning and by the time you unlock them you will be in mid game....

@Santi

Actually that is awesome idea Wink This would be as same as making self sufficient complexes in X3 but using ships as tubes Very Happy Why don't you post this in idea forum if you have access? Im sure it would be nice edition to XR or even next title....

Nikola515

PostPosted: Wed, 16. Nov 16, 05:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Another thing i want to add is weapons and missiles wheel UI. For example we can push button and open menu like wheel with all weapons on it. We simply click on weapons that we want to select..... Swapping trough weapons to get to the one that we need is somewhat annoying becuse we need to switch them all the time do to overheating..... If possible i would like to slow down time or puse game at that time when UI is on. Even better if we could tell our ships what to do in battle while game is paused . Mass Effect or GTA V did good job with weapon switching....

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Wed, 16. Nov 16, 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@Santi: That's an intriguing idea, I like it! There would probably be some kinks to work out, but in principle it's great.

Nikola515 wrote:
Swapping trough weapons to get to the one that we need is somewhat annoying

Especially given that in every new game, the sequence in which the weapons appear might differ, according to what order they were bought in - most annoying. Something I previously suggested (a long time ago) is hotkeys for the weapon slots, say the number keys - that way, you would know that the mining laser/heavy laser/railgun is always on 1, for example - immediately switch to desired weapon, and soon enough one would remember the numeric assignations. (Currently, I remap next/prev weapons to 2 and 3, as that's a lot more accessible than the default keys, in combat - weapon selections ought to be near WASD, and the number keys are most logical, intuitive, and also available)

-
The Write Stuff
TheDeliveryMan

PostPosted: Wed, 16. Nov 16, 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Santi wrote:
Not sure if a it is a command but it does fit within the spirit of the thread.

Assign managers to managers, same as we do with ships, we should be able to assign managers to other managers, or to make it more simple, to assign several stations to one manager.

That manager will think of all the stations as a Super Station or Complex and exchange wares via ship as needed. Then, we only need a simple switch like "buy/keep/sell" for every ware to create close loops of stations, and have more control over what we sell and buy.

This is an idea I've had for some time now and if I will ever start modding XR again it's probably what I would go for.

The basic idea is to have a warehouse-like station to serve as the division HQ/HUB. Add factories to the division by assigning them to the HQ manager. Freighters assigned to the HQ would then take care of the internal supply of the division.

Nikola515

PostPosted: Thu, 17. Nov 16, 06:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The only problem with that is that we have too many weapons and missiles (not enough hot keys for all of them). This would work good for weapons because you can use single weapons for all enemies. For example i use my heavy laser for all and than i could switch to hamer using hot keys untill laser is cooling.... But for missiles it is different thing and it is much harder becuse there is 10 different missiles that we need to switch to get to one we need. And each missile work for different roles. Changing them in battle when you are fighting capital ships,fighters and drones at same can be pain in the neck Wink So this way we can select weapon or missiles that we need with using hot keys or anything. One button for all Wink

Andoulline

PostPosted: Fri, 18. Nov 16, 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think that limiting the number of weapon slots to 2 or 3 would allow at least a bit of choice. Also a bit higher variety in them would be nice. So like you'd have to decide witch 3 weapons you want to use instead of bringing the most powerful of every single one.

We could have choices to make like having 2 of the same would double your firerate, but limit the types of enemies that we can deal with and others options like this.

Pretty much like having 3 separate options for your "laser" slot already adds that little choice and personalisation that was extremely lacking in the base game. We had the vanilla mining laser, the Teladi Heavy Laser and the HoL Railgun. Three entirely different guns for entirely different purposes. The same logic should have been applied to all of the guns.

The way how shields & engines were handled was okay. Small variety in a place where there were none before.

Reputation was also very lacking however. At the very least once you reached a certain reputation the personell belonging to that faction should tell you their skills. That way you'd have a reason (that matters) for building relations even in the lategame when you have esentailly infinite cash so you don't care about price bonuses.