two games same folder uninstall issue - resolved

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

DJC
x4

two games same folder uninstall issue - resolved

Post by DJC » Tue, 1. Nov 16, 22:09

Back when I bought Albion Prelude the disk also came with Terran conflict. I thought I did not install TC since I already had the non steam version and did not want to start it over. Right now I am trying to make some space on my HD. I found that the steam version of TC did get installed anyway and that they are in the same folder. I would like to uninstall TC without removing AP They are listed separately in the uninstall list but being in the same folder must mean they share some of the same files How do I uninstall TC without messing with AP.
Thanks for your help
Attention: All of your ships are under attack

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 1. Nov 16, 22:42

The short answer is that you shouldn't because you won't save much and there is always the chance that something unexpected and unwanted may happen unless Steam is having a very good day.

X3AP needs the majority of the X3TC gamefiles to work (it is in fact an expansion of latest X3TC). When you install X3AP from Steam without first having Steam X3TC then it automatically installs almost everything of Steam X3TC apart from a few small items needed to make it work as a separate game.

If you verify the Steam X3TC gamefiles cache then you should have a playable Steam version too. If you really want to save HD space then instead uninstall the DVD version and use the Steam files to play it. They use the same saves and so your progress is safe. You will still have the DVD and access to patches from here as a backup. This obviously all applies for vanilla X3TC games though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Wed, 2. Nov 16, 13:50

Thank you for your reply :)

It is as I thought then.

So in short, uninstalling the steam version wont really do me any favors or save me any space, but uninstalling the DVD version will. All I may need to do is transfer save files to continue where I left off.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 2. Nov 16, 15:42

No need to transfer anything in vanilla. The Steam and patched DVD files are the same X3TC gamefiles apart from formatting, paths and shortcuts and they will use exactly the same save and profile locations. Just start the Steam version, load your X3TC save just as it is and play on from where you got to before. Enjoy the game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Thu, 3. Nov 16, 13:23

Very Cool
Thank you for your help :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”