Question: Basic Info on Rebirth and getting started.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StoneLegionYT
x4

Question: Basic Info on Rebirth and getting started.

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sat, 24. Sep 16, 14:29

So I'm thinking in the near future on playing some Rebirth without mods. Assuming the silly Modification happens to your save when using mods still.

From what I understand the major point of rebirth is to cut down empire like automation. So no more building massive complexes, sector traders, etc. It also is down to 1 ship rather then owning many types and swapping them, etc.

I like to work on a Let's Play Series and just want to research ahead of time.

This is the long list of questions time :)
1) Is the performance a lot better overall now with 4.0
2) Is the expansion (dlc) that came out for I guess 4.0 something you need or would want from the start or is it something you get later on?
3) What is a great way to make Cash when you first start?
4) Are quests now not so annoying as in they run out fast time wise, etc?
5) How is the pve combat. The big thing in X3 is I sucked at fighting. But I also just never bothered I spent most my time making money. So can I do decent and is their options to make it easier?
6) I hear you can build stations? What do these stations offer or do? If it's create / sell product can I automate this process or do NPC's supply/buy from my station?
7) Is there any sort of passive credit gains I can get overtime?

If I were to decide to bite the bullet and add some mods. Are their any you recommend and why?

Thanks all :)

bambikaka

Re: Question: Basic Info on Rebirth and getting started.

Post by bambikaka » Sat, 24. Sep 16, 16:29

Kane Hart wrote:So I'm thinking in the near future on playing some Rebirth without mods. Assuming the silly Modification happens to your save when using mods still.

From what I understand the major point of rebirth is to cut down empire like automation. So no more building massive complexes, sector traders, etc. It also is down to 1 ship rather then owning many types and swapping them, etc.

2) Is the expansion (dlc) that came out for I guess 4.0 something you need or would want from the start or is it something you get later on?
5) How is the pve combat. The big thing in X3 is I sucked at fighting. But I also just never bothered I spent most my time making money. So can I do decent and is their options to make it easier?
6) I hear you can build stations? What do these stations offer or do? If it's create / sell product can I automate this process or do NPC's supply/buy from my station?

If I were to decide to bite the bullet and add some mods. Are their any you recommend and why?

1: yes
2: from start i think especially the teladi one
3: accept defend stations missions, the station will defend itself so you dont have to do anything. other than that go to the telady main station and start capping the pirate ships that are shooting every tradeship. both are unlimited easy cash
4: ?
5: little quick drones can be annoying but the rest is easy peasy in skunk just buy some decent upgrades
6: you can build station and they are so much automated you have nothing to do with them just build assign tradeships and forget them
7: the stations

ADMNtek
x4

Re: Question: Basic Info on Rebirth and getting started.

Post by ADMNtek » Sat, 24. Sep 16, 18:16

Kane Hart wrote:So I'm thinking in the near future on playing some Rebirth without mods. Assuming the silly Modification happens to your save when using mods still.

1) depends on your rig but i can run the game with LOD at 200%
2)-3) HOL is a a amazing place to make money with trade deals
4) depends on the missions. destroy mission are very lucrative around a mil each no timelimit and all you have to do is blow up a couple mines best use MKI or MKII plasma cannon for those. or blow up asteroids with your mining laser.
5) compared to X3 i love the combat in this your ship can take a beating but also packs quite the punch. and i also think it handels well you have different engine systems you can buy same goes for shields.[/list]

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 24. Sep 16, 18:51

Best way to make money at beginning for me is to do defend stations mission.... After that I get boarding officer and start boarding L size ships until I get some elite marines (they need to level up). I go to DV because they XL destroyer is easy to board and it can make you a lot s of money ;) Than I get 5 star engineer fix ship to 100% and than sell it (take engineer back after ship is fixed). Do that 5 times and go to HoL if you have DLC and get CV. Build warehouse and use it as mining hub at Albion or OL.... I get 5 mining ships and two bulk trader ships. It pretty much don't coast nothing to run station and it is guaranteed income ;)

Edit: There are some bugs and problems with warehouse that I reported some time ago. But you can check here for more information and workarounds if you have any problems.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=391037
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 01:18

There's no "Modified" tag if you use mods. The game checks the "extensions" folder and if the mods are marked that they affect your saves, then the game will give you a warning if you try to load a save with a missing mod. Otherwise there's no indication that you're modded or not.

Most mods change the UI or AI behavior across the game, and will NOT affect your saves. Some mods do affect your saves, but they all have clear uninstall directions to avoid file corruption.

IMO if you play without the various quality-of-life mods, you'll just get frustrated and quit the game.

----------------------

1. Performance is slightly better, but it helps if you have a GOOD video card. I went from 2x 560 Ti in SLI mode to a single 970 Ti, and performance improved. I also, oddly enough, got a HUGE performance improvement when I enabled FXAA, for whatever reason the game ran better with AA than without AA, even though the opposite should be true.

----------------------

2. When you install the DLC's doesn't matter, because they hook into the game this way:

- they give you new gamestart options, so you can start from scratch straight into the expansion zones.
- they add a couple extra connecting jumpgates, which you can ignore until you're ready to go through them.

Basically, the DLC's don't force themselves on your game.

----------------------

3. For me, I played the plot, so that kinda moves you along at a pace, and gives you your free trading ship a bit later than the "free play" starts. So I took breaks from the plot (by not going to the next plot zone and just doing my own thing instead), and I made cash this way:

- loot a bunch of crates in a bunch of stations -> upgrade the scanners on the Skunk
- use the better scanners to scan locked crates in space -> upgrade shields, weapons, etc., to a medium level (mk2, mk3).
- once I got the trader ship I started doing some manual trades using the trade software, bought marines and a 5-star marine officer
- and finally I captured ships and sold them (or kept them for trade). You can start with the easier trade ships and then move up to M7's once you have some decent marines. The plot turns some people enemies for you, so there are plenty of ships available for capture.

Gathered about 300 million + maxed upgrades on the Skunk + about 4 Titurel traders and 4 M7 frigates, then went on with the plot to the end. Still had the 300 million by the end of the plot.

----------------------

4. I'm not sure about side-quests, but the plot was entirely at my leisure. Took plenty of breaks to capture ships or scan containers, nobody cared.

----------------------

5. I liked the PVE combat. Compared to X3:AP, the combat here is mostly fighter dogfights, your ship (Skunk) functions as a heavy M3 (esp. if you upgrade the weapons), and the NPC ships function as M4's (light fighters), so, I mean, I had no trouble taking on groups of 5-8 enemies.

Against capital ships, you can either call in your own caps, or just make good use of missiles and blind spots - the capitals have all their weapons and shields on their skins, so you can easily dance in and out and shoot off their weapons, shields, and engines, leaving them completely dead in the water.

Once I got my 4 M7 Taranises, even during the plot I just called them in, most enemies on normal difficulty are not really fleeted or supporting each other, so it's often 4 Taranis vs. 1 NPC destroyer. 4 M7 Taranises had no trouble taking out a Xenon I (M2+) after I disabled its Plasma/Jet cannons with missiles.

----------------------

6. You can build stations and they function as money-makers for you. Without mods, you won't be able to have UT's (Universe Traders are a mod), so you'll have to build stations and assign transports to the station to do "trading".

----------------------

7. The only passive credit gains are: (mod) - Yet Another Trader (UT), or build stations and have them auto-produce and sell stuff. Semi-passive credit gains are: every few minutes use the trading computer to order your transport ships to do some more trades, manually. Fully-active credit gains: loot crates, search for space cans, capture and sell ships, do missions.

----------------------

8. Recommended mods (use the mods index to find them):

- 5km scan range - because having to bump each station module to scan it is a pain
- Autolooter - because otherwise after each fight you have to manually find the damn loot containers
- Autotrain - it's not overpowered, your people train while doing appropriate activities on the job
- BetterAutoAim - the default autoaim is 5 degrees, the mod makes it 75, I changed it to about 25 so it's similar to X3's
- Log Everything - this lets you add your own comments to the in-game log; I made roleplay notes; "Dear Diary, Yisha just won't shut up, again."
- MoreCrew - Skunk can carry 5 by default, this increases it to 15, each ship you hire or get requires 3, so it's a pain without it
- Phipz's Sort Crew - List Captain first, then Defence Officer, then Engineer in the property window of all ships, rather than random order
- Realistic Highways - so you don't bump into fake ships that don't exist
- Remove Boarding Cutscene - cause the cutscene to enter/exit the Skunk makes me dizzy
- Show Skills - so you don't have to play the chatter minigame before you can see an NPC's skills
- Small Sun for DeVries - the default game is too damn bright in that one zone, hurt my eyes
- SmallTalk Hack - this is a cheat that makes chatting up NPC's always succeed. Don't use if you don't want to cheat.
- Titurel Engine Fix - because Egosoft didn't fix this even in 4.0. Titurel is listed as 70 m/s speed in-game, but is missing the engines for it.
- Yet Another Trader - because I wanted Universal Trader like in X3.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 02:08

Thanks everyone so much and thank you for that big mod list. I did not want to use mods at first for not getting achievements. But now I think I will for sure start out with them.

I guess X3 was more polished where you did not need many quality of life mods and even then you had the bonus scripts dlc.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 03:34

Achievements are not affected; you'll get achievements.

Heck, you can get the cheat code mod, give yourself 1 billion credits as soon as you start, and get the achievement for it.

X3:AP (the 3rd X3 game), last patch for it, was polished yeah.

And even then, there were a couple mods that didn't affect vanilla status (Better Mission Text, ej.findwares script, and one more I forget), and a few that did but were very nice (Bounce, X3TC plots imported into X3AP, turret and combat AI improvements).

EDIT: Most of the mods above are quality-of-life stuff. Even the chat hack is quality-of-life; you'll understand once you see the chat minigame. There's more mods that are good:

- the Capital Bridge one is well done
- the turret AI and combat AI improvements ones are decent
- the various "Shut Up" ones may prevent some headaches
- the De-Sexualized Bar Posters and Yisha Costume / More Cloth mods may result in less embarrassment if family watches you play the game or walks in
- Xenon Hunt if you want to capture Xenon ships

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 04:17

Thank you so much. I'm actually looking forward to playing Rebirth even more. I better not end up being one them Rebirth Fanboys haha :)

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 04:32

Also I might add that there is cheat mod made by Simoom that I like to use not as cheat :P Pretty much you can crate station and give it to any NPC if you want to create your onw universe. For example I can take unpopulated systems such as DV and bring them back to life economically.... I use it more like creative mode than anything else.... But you shouldn't use this until you get familiar with XR and how everything works (it will just spoil gameplay)....

Also AI is somewhat retarded in XR so before you start you should check mods that improve combat AI because you will need it if you want Capital ships to aid you. Current vanilla system is horrible making ships useless :( Miscellaneous IZ Combat Tweaks is awesome mod to solve those problems ;)
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 04:56

I'm using:
- Alpha Orbital for ship pics and stats
- X-Rebirth Wiki for engine, shield, missile, and other stats and misc info

Simoom's mod is nice; I would have used it, but, with apologies to him, the whole "Goddess" and "magic" stuff clashed with the sci-fi setting of the game in my mind.

Also as a P.S., I also modified the Autolooter mod to just do it when I press the button, rather than presenting all that confirmation dialogue menu. Perhaps Euclid can be persuaded to modify his mod to remove the dialogue (he's probably better at it than me), and upload that version as an option. Press the button, 4 seconds later you have the loot that fits in the ship, no dialogue, all status text in the logbook rather than on-screen, is what I did.

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 06:28

another mod i can recomend is this one
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=361966

it gives you more options when on a cap ship and it lets you skip the small talk mini when seting up trade agents just call the station manager and ask for trade updates. it also lets you give orders to the crew in you ship without you haing the go into the crew quarters or landing on a ship. this way you can asign crew to a ship from the comfort of your cockpit.

and these 3 improve the look.
http://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/365/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/360/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/307/?

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 07:38

Thank you everyone. These are amazing replies / info :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”