What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 19:20

Watching an odd, but awesome, Canadian comedy show "Letterkenny".

Brilliant.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 21:01

My son recommended a single season 8x20 mins series called "The End of the f***ing World. Really weird but well worth watching.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 11:58

Bishop149 wrote: I just started "Dark" on Netflix, suffice to say that if you liked Stranger Things you'll like Dark.
There's more than a little overlap, it's all a bit bleaker though.
It's native language is German but in my case Netflix decided to automatically dub it into English, which looked and sounded horrible. It took me a while playing with the settings to get it to display German audio with English subtitles.
Don't let the subtitles put you off, I'm finding it more than absorbing enough to compensate for them.
I just finished first season of "Dark". It is really good. It is pretty much the style and atmosphere of "Stranger Things" but replacing the multi-dimensional travelling by time travelling.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 17:17

Just started watching Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and, after the second episode, I find it pretty cool ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 21:48

Blade Runner The Final Cut version is free to watch on Crackle US region.

Stargate Origins February 1, 2018 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itqq9hz ... e=youtu.be

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 22:00

burger1 wrote:Stargate Origins February 1, 2018 trailer.

Ah another childhood memory going down the drain... Because doing ORIGINAL stuff is hard I guess. :shock:

MFG

Ketraar

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 16:26

Ketraar wrote:
burger1 wrote:Stargate Origins February 1, 2018 trailer.

Ah another childhood memory going down the drain... Because doing ORIGINAL stuff is hard I guess. :shock:

MFG

Ketraar
Finally, the age old question of what element people have missed in the Stargate franchise has been answered: Nazis! (Actually, there even is a SG1 episode (4.02) featuring a race with Nazi-like ideals from a different world.)

I can't help myself but feel that the trailer somehow looks like an Indiana Jones parody. Or maybe like the TV adaption of a movie, which probably isn't this far from reality, considering that Stargate Origins is only a mini web-series consisting of ten 10-minute long episodes. I'm not sure, who had the idea of making an Origins story, but taking into account that in the Stargate feature film, the SG1 episodes 1.11 and 2.21, and in Stargate: Continuum we learn already about the pre-SG1 history of the Stargate on Earth, I don't feel there's much left to tell. Especially, as in 1.11 Catherine Langford is in shock when she finds out that scientists in 1945 managed to activate the Stargate once.

Of course, seeing that the last Stargate release (Stargate: Universe) was some years ago, it's understandable that MGM first wants to test the waters. Still with all the open ends and little storylines alongside the plot of the different series, I feel there would have been better alternatives.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 16:43

X2-Illuminatus wrote: I can't help myself but feel that the trailer somehow looks like an Indiana Jones parody.
This is how I felt. However I think there are some Goa'uld bosses shown in the trailer. The time line might also get changed to keep in line with the older series I think. So time travel maybe?

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 20:33

going to watch altered carbon tonight on netflix, lets see if it's any good?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 21:06

apogee wrote:going to watch altered carbon tonight on netflix, lets see if it's any good?
Lots of nudity.

"One of the reviews stated that the main character's butt is an unofficial character in it's own."

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 23:55

burger1 wrote:
apogee wrote:going to watch altered carbon tonight on netflix, lets see if it's any good?
Lots of nudity.

"One of the reviews stated that the main character's butt is an unofficial character in it's own."
they were correct.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 09:28

Thanks for sharing. Watched the 1st episode around midnight and got hooked. Finished the entire season just 5 min. ago. Unusual in many ways, brutal, tense with some nice spins.

Cheers Euclid

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 18:34

euclid wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Watched the 1st episode around midnight and got hooked. Finished the entire season just 5 min. ago. Unusual in many ways, brutal, tense with some nice spins.

Cheers Euclid
overnight marathon box set binging!

ony watched two so far but i like what ive seen, more episodes this evening.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 15:03

apogee wrote:
burger1 wrote:
Lots of nudity.

they were correct.
Started this last night - lots of naked body parts - don't watch while eating your tea -you'll be put off sausages for life.

Other than that seems quite good - I don't know if its me but had to fiddle with the sound settings to make the dialogue an easy listen (dropped the bass, and increased the treble). We have the same problem with the Expanse! I think the 5.1 mix overwhelms 2.1 systems and the dialogue gets lost in the mix.
A flower?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 21:54

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:I don't know if its me but had to fiddle with the sound settings to make the dialogue an easy listen (dropped the bass, and increased the treble). We have the same problem with the Expanse! I think the 5.1 mix overwhelms 2.1 systems and the dialogue gets lost in the mix.

It's not uncommon. Basically it's surround on a stereo system (I think the center speaker usually does voices in a surround system). Turn on volume equalization in windows or on your tv look in the audio menu and there's probably something like volume normalization, stabilization, etc... I think you can do volume compression also with an equalizer but I haven't ever made it work well. The original (before updates last year) volume equalization setting windows 10 came with was the best I have come across yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 13. Feb 18, 19:59

It looks like John Cleese is making a new sitcom.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 99320.html

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:58

It looks like Stargate Origins has been released. Some people are happy some aren't as usual.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7161862/

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 16. Feb 18, 01:56

10 mins each is a bit disappointing QQ

Cheers Euclid

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 16. Feb 18, 11:25

euclid wrote:10 mins each is a bit disappointing QQ

Cheers Euclid
Well, it's just a webseries. Most-likely to test the water, whether there's still enough interest to warrant a new film or a proper series, and to advertise MGM's streaming portal Stargate Command. I think I read somewhere that you can even watch the first episodes of Stargate Origins, which were already released, for free if you register on that website. But I haven't tried it yet. Additionally, the original Stargate movie is free to watch on the Stargate Command YouTube Channel now.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 17. Feb 18, 05:19

Since my TV/internet cable was trashed by city workers digging up a busted water main and won't be fixed until the law suits are finished...welcome to the USA...I'm binge watching.

I found and ordered the entire Babylon 5 series with movies and the failed Crusade series. Gave me ideas for a few starship models.

Also found complete series of Gene Roddenberry's Earth the Final Conflict. Dogged in the final season.

Watching series I had a part in the Art Department of. Won't say what I never liked watching it then and you've probably panned it, but I watch for what I/we could have done to keep it afloat. It usually sums up to shooting the producers/writers.

Doctor Who new and old. Have friend in Wales working on production. Say new female Doctor might be too trendy. I say, "About damn time!"

Game of Thrones. Looking for production errors, tips, 3D post techniques. Always find something I missed. Buy DVD so I can screen shot.

Thinking about the last month I've been without TV except local I can pickup on antenna? I've been more more entertained thanks to Amazon and dvd and blue ray buys than cable TV.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”