What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 06:20

The Prisoner has been added to amazon (US region only?) I am also able to use the free trial again. I think my last free trial expired 3 months ago?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 08:12

burger1 wrote:The Prisoner has been added to amazon (US region only?)
It's available on Amazon Video in the UK, but it's not free with Prime, you have to pay for it.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 14:33

burger1 wrote:The Prisoner has been added to amazon (US region only?) I am also able to use the free trial again. I think my last free trial expired 3 months ago?
Which version?
A flower?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 17:07

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
burger1 wrote:The Prisoner has been added to amazon (US region only?) I am also able to use the free trial again. I think my last free trial expired 3 months ago?
Which version?
Patrick McGoohan version. 17 episodes.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 08:12

burger1 wrote: Patrick McGoohan version. 17 episodes.
The best place to watch that is on "The Prisoner Channel" in one of the village rooms at the Portmeirrion Hotel. ;)
A flower?

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 15:08

The Prisoner (All episodes) is on YouTube
Look up The Prisoner topic.

The Prisoner was a sequel series to
"Danger Man" in the UK
called "Secret Agent" in the US
All episodes on YouTube.

Look up under "dangerman seasons 1-2-3-4"

(What's that big ballon...Gaahh!)
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 01:40

Just watched Colony season 3 final episode. Shame they've cancelled it :-(

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 7. Aug 18, 01:40

I just watched "Justice League." Yeah, I know - I'm always late to the party.

Anyway, I watched it. I give it one coulda out of shouldnt'ave. It was frigging stoopid.

I'll post my "review" in the Rant thread. That's where the fun happens. Which has nothing to do with Justice League. "Fun," that is.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 18:08

If you are a fan of genres involving Tarantino, Morricone, Leone etc. then I recommend Pickings.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 22:27

euclid wrote:If you are a fan of genres involving Tarantino, Morricone, Leone etc. then I recommend Pickings.
Well, now you've gone an' dun it... That's like saying "If you're a fan of sex, chocolate, and fast cars, you might like _____." :)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 22:52

Watched Jupiter Ascending, so mutch wasted potential.

Edit: One thing that was really cool though was how they showed scale of social power. As mindblowingly powerful as the villains were, they also were still just a wheel in a way bigger system. Even Jupiter who allegedly holds a lot of power has to bow to the beraucracy.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 23:22

clakclak wrote:Watched Jupiter Ascending, so mutch wasted potential.

Edit: One thing that was really cool though was how they showed scale of social power. As mindblowingly powerful as the villains were, they also were still just a wheel in a way bigger system. Even Jupiter who allegedly holds a lot of power has to bow to the beraucracy.
I saw that movie and, man, was I disappointed! It's a movie that didn't ever manage to figure out what it wanted to be when it grew up.

After running around on the net trying to find some examples of my disappointment, I instead discovered that I can't stand movies with female leads that only have a female lead so they can tell the audience "Look! It's a woman."

We have plenty of decent movies with strong female leads in them. There are far too many movies that have female leads in them that suck because that's the only reason they're on the screen - To give the audience a female lead.

I guess it was supposed to combine that with being some sort of Kunis vehicle, but that failed pretty spectacularly.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 00:54

Morkonan wrote:
clakclak wrote:Watched Jupiter Ascending, so mutch wasted potential.

I saw that movie and, man, was I disappointed! It's a movie that didn't ever manage to figure out what it wanted to be when it grew up.

After running around on the net trying to find some examples of my disappointment, I instead discovered that I can't stand movies with female leads that only have a female lead so they can tell the audience "Look! It's a woman."

We have plenty of decent movies with strong female leads in them. There are far too many movies that have female leads in them that suck because that's the only reason they're on the screen - To give the audience a female lead.

I guess it was supposed to combine that with being some sort of Kunis vehicle, but that failed pretty spectacularly.
She was a lead character but I don't really think she was the main hero of the story. In fact, until her last action were she refused to sign the contract really all she was was a damsel in distress, unable to accomplish anything by herself and in constant need of being saved. (And the last decision was an easy one, because evil guy didn't tell when he would farm earth, so getting her family out may habe meant that they would be killed the next day anyway.) She was not even to blame for her problems (she had no tragic flaw). Maybe this is however also deliberatly so as one of the characters straight up tells her: "It doesn't matter what you do, it only matters who you are."

Also Kunis, as likeable as she may be, really wasn't impressiv in this role. At the same time I doubt anyone else could have done a better job, given the at times outright idiotic dialogue and unecessary forced in romance.

And the capitalism critique was about as subtle as a sledge hammer to the face.

Edit: I think I know what you mean with your comment. It is about having a female main character as a kind of gimmick instead of any authentic and nuanced character right?

Edit 2: German "sympathisch" and English "sympethatic" are false friends. What I meant to say was that Mila Kunis seems likeable not compassionate although she may be. I don't know her.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 01:21

Morkonan wrote:
euclid wrote:If you are a fan of genres involving Tarantino, Morricone, Leone etc. then I recommend Pickings.
Well, now you've gone an' dun it... That's like saying "If you're a fan of sex, chocolate, and fast cars, you might like _____." :)
Nothing wrong with sex, chocolate and fast cars ... :D

Cheers Euclid

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 02:12

clakclak wrote: Also Kunis, as likeable as she may be, really wasn't impressiv in this role. At the same time I doubt anyone else could have done a better job, given the at times outright idiotic dialogue and unecessary forced in romance.
Heck, Eddie Redmayne won an Oscar for his performance in "The Theory of Everything". His very next movie was Jupiter Ascending, where his character either talks in a breathy whisper or outright screams his lines like they cause him actual physical pain. If he wasn't capable of bringing any nuance to his role, unfair to blame Kunis for a similar problem with hers, methinks.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 04:16

clakclak wrote:She was a lead character but ... she may be. I don't know her.
I agree with everything you said. :) In fact, I admitted to as much in my "unpublished" post, but wasn't man enough to call it out for what it was in public, so I edited it out. ;)

Basically, it appeared to me to be a vehicle for Kunis and a J.J. Abrams 'splosion/action fest with something like "high stakes" and "drama" thrown into a classic "young person discovers their secret powers/Little Prince" theme. It just flocked up, miserably, at providing much of anything that appealed to the viewer. All the "edge of your seat" dramatic entertainment that was supposed to be there was only there because of people returning from the bathroom...
pjknibbs wrote:...If he wasn't capable of bringing any nuance to his role, unfair to blame Kunis for a similar problem with hers, methinks...
Agreed. I, for instance, couldn't stand Hayden Christensen in those things called the "Star Wars" prequel "movies." But, then someone reminded me that I liked "Jumper." I was forced to revise my opinion and went in search of "why is a barely functional block of wood being cast in a lead role" answer... That's when I found out Lucas virtually coached every darn scene to be as downplayed as humanly possible, then directed from off-set, practically, while watching it all on monitor. The problem was he didn't realize how crappy it actually was and how terrible his coaching was.

So, it wasn't Christensen's fault. And, from what bits and pieces I've seen of Kunis on "That 70's Show" and her extensive voice-acting in shows like "Family Guy" and the much respected and much beloved, maybe even award-winning awesome television spectacle that is "Robot Chicken" I have to say... There is direct evidence to show that she's a better actor than "Jupiter Ascending" gave her the chance to be.

I didn't see "The Theory of Everything." I am also hesitant to pay much attention to either exploitation movies (ie: topical celebrity exploitation) or awards for movies that focus on people overcoming disabilities. I'm not saying either situation can't end up producing a good or even a great movie. It's just that I'd rather time do the talking, there.

But, I don't doubt that he probably has better examples of his ability. I don't think they're going to put that much money into a movie and then purposefully tank it by filling it with bad actors. (Some exceptions to that rule, though.)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 05:30

Runaway on amazon prime US region. It had Gene Simmons from kiss as the bad guy. It was kind of interesting to see some high tech 1980s stuff in the movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088024/

With Ash vs Evil Dead cancelled I have also been watching Burn Notice on amazon prime US. It's ok but very formulaic. Bruce Campbell is his usual character type.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810788/

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 07:18

burger1 wrote:Runaway on amazon prime US region. It had Gene Simmons from kiss as the bad guy.
...and Tom Selleck as the good guy. He might be largely forgotten now, but in the 80s Magnum PI made him one of the most recognisable names on TV. I recall watching that movie many years ago, it had its moments but was surprisingly dull for a film with Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons and robotic spiders...

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 23:42

So I just finished "Vietnam" by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick on Netflix and I can only recommend it it. It is an in depth ten part documentary about the Vietnam war, each part is around one and a half hours long. Really good, really detailed and to me it seemed fairly balanced.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 16:40

I've been flat on my back all week
and have been watching lots of
YouTube and picked some I particularly
enjoyed.

They are all 3D animated shorts
and the theme here comes from
my youth when starting at 8pm
and ending at 2am a TV station had
"Science Fiction Friday".