X-rebirth or X3?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zertyr

X-rebirth or X3?

Post by Zertyr » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 19:43

Hi guys, just a quick question.

I played the first couple of X-series games and thought I would enjoy some more time now. But after reading about X-Rebirth, seen some videos and read reviews it seems that this game is not at all what I was expecting from the X-Series. So is it worth getting X-Rebirth or should I just play one of the X3 games? And if so, what one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Zertyr

BrianPaone
x3ap

Re: X-rebirth or X3?

Post by BrianPaone » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 19:51

Zertyr wrote:Hi guys, just a quick question.

I played the first couple of X-series games and thought I would enjoy some more time now. But after reading about X-Rebirth, seen some videos and read reviews it seems that this game is not at all what I was expecting from the X-Series. So is it worth getting X-Rebirth or should I just play one of the X3 games? And if so, what one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Zertyr
They're definitely different games. The playstyle in X:R is something I'd compare more to Freelancer as promised when originally announced, sans multiplayer. If you ever wanted to get out of the ship and walk around on a station, or never really cared for exact station construction/placement, then I'd say give it a go.

If you're into the playstyles of X2/X3, it's probably best to just stick with X3:AP. It's aged very well and has quite a bit of mod support. I have both installed. Currently doing a spacetrucking bit with X:R, but should the itch ever arise to check out one of the larger AP mods, X3 won't provide much of a dropoff (except maybe in AI piloting of a capital ship - X:R does that better than X3 but it shouldn't matter in X3 unless you're flying a Kyoto).
I tried signing this but now there's just a bunch of ink on my screen. Who do I sue to correct this?

Zertyr

Post by Zertyr » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 20:06

Thanks mate. Good info.

I am looking for a bit more trading, build factories etc thingy. Having your lil empire in the end. Spicing it up with some dogfighting when the lust arises.

BrianPaone
x3ap

Post by BrianPaone » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 20:16

X3 should be more than fine for that. X:R's building process is quite a bit different from X3's - it's less geared toward trading mega-empires and more geared toward strategic placement of fewer stations.

So, if you're looking for trade empire as your endgame, you'd probably just want X3. I think most of the modding work these days is done on Albion Prelude, but both are worth the pickup if the price is right (and these days it usually is). Have fun! o7
I tried signing this but now there's just a bunch of ink on my screen. Who do I sue to correct this?

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 20:19

If you've only played X or X2, definitely play X3:AP. Use the X3:TC plots imported into X3:AP mod, and you can have ALL the plots with the better user interface and ships of the later game.

If you HAVE played X3:TC or X3:AP and are wondering whether to try X-Rebirth or stick with X3:AP, I'd recommend trying it, but play X-Rebirth with mods (it kinda sucks without). Look here for an index of mods, and look here or google "Best X-Rebirth mods" for a list of good ones. And I mean, there are at least a dozen mods that are pretty much necessary to make X-Rebirth "ok."

I just finished the plot, so I'm not too far into the game. So far it's been quite fun. Don't regret buying it or the DLCs.

Zertyr

Post by Zertyr » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 20:42

ok, downloading the gold pack for x3, with the 3x X3 games.

So any other mods I should look into ?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 21:39

Best to look and maybe ask here and here for that information as that is no longer about X Rebirth vanilla.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zertyr

Post by Zertyr » Fri, 2. Sep 16, 21:42

Alan Phipps wrote:Best to look and maybe ask here and here for that information as that is no longer about X Rebirth vanilla.
Roger that!

Thanks everyone for taking time and answering my questions. Much appriciated!

//Zert

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 3. Sep 16, 20:03

X3 games will give you a close experience to what X2 was plus some additional features. It is essentially the same engine with graphical facelift and better controls. XR is indeed a different game. If you haven't played X3, I'd go for it. If you are finally tired of playing the same thing for 1000 hours, you can give XR a try. According to some it was garbage on release but after all these years it seems playable, at least to me. I am about 60 hours into the game somewhere in the middle of the plot (I guess).
P.S. I am going without mods so far except the mod to short-cut the minigame. Whoever came up with this minigame idea, I don' like that person very much.

naib864
x4

Post by naib864 » Sat, 3. Sep 16, 21:59

There's a demo of X Rebirth available, maybe helpful for you. I didn't play that demo so I don't know how far you can look into the game there but I think trying it won't hurt, even if the demo is crap :D

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 3. Sep 16, 22:21

X3 definitely.
Not only because (imo) the gameplay is better (more freedom)
but if you decide in the end that you want to try both , you won't have the "graphical culture shock" that you would have if you go from a newer game to an older one.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

naib864
x4

Post by naib864 » Sun, 4. Sep 16, 10:53

Killjaeden wrote:X3 definitely.
Not only because (imo) the gameplay is better (more freedom)
but if you decide in the end that you want to try both , you won't have the "graphical culture shock" that you would have if you go from a newer game to an older one.
True, that's why I only play X Rebirth atm. I miss all the life around the stations in X3 ^^
So, buy X3, you will have fun for sure if you liked X2 and if you want to try something new, buy X Rebirth.

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Sun, 4. Sep 16, 14:58

Both are great games!

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Mon, 5. Sep 16, 10:21

The entire Series is great, why not buy the whole bundle and play from XbtF up to XR?

Rail_Balco
x4

Post by Rail_Balco » Mon, 5. Sep 16, 22:59

eMYNOCK wrote:The entire Series is great, why not buy the whole bundle and play from XbtF up to XR?
because people usually have only one life...

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Tue, 6. Sep 16, 14:31

Rail_Balco wrote:
eMYNOCK wrote:The entire Series is great, why not buy the whole bundle and play from XbtF up to XR?
because people usually have only one life...
If you focus on the Storyline you can play the whole series.. and than pick the one you like... :roll:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 10. Sep 16, 16:51

ajax34i wrote:If you've only played X or X2, definitely play X3:AP. Use the X3:TC plots imported into X3:AP mod, and you can have ALL the plots with the better user interface and ships of the later game.

If you HAVE played X3:TC or X3:AP and are wondering whether to try X-Rebirth or stick with X3:AP, I'd recommend trying it, but play X-Rebirth with mods (it kinda sucks without). Look here for an index of mods, and look here or google "Best X-Rebirth mods" for a list of good ones. And I mean, there are at least a dozen mods that are pretty much necessary to make X-Rebirth "ok."

I just finished the plot, so I'm not too far into the game. So far it's been quite fun. Don't regret buying it or the DLCs.
- does that Mod work with ScorpBy's map..?
- I have X3-TC running on my local drive, but my X3:AP is on Steam..

PS agree about X:Rebirth, it's a slightly different beast..
- and, as always, it's a work in progress.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

AdánPasos

Post by AdánPasos » Tue, 13. Sep 16, 09:56

I redommend you installing X-Rebalance Mod for Albion Prelude, and Pirate Guild. I think I did some tweaks to the UI's icons too but I don't remember exactly how I did it or what I installed.

This is a screenshot of how I have it:

http://i.imgur.com/EwHoad1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SZvgZVS.jpg

The only thing I dislike about X Rebalance Mod is that they changed the cockpit position of the smaller Mercury, I dislike where it's now, it should be at the front of the cabin IMO. I know this can be changed because I used to change it myself in the distant past but honestly I don't think it's worth the hassle to learn how to do it again...

kohlidi
x3tc

Post by kohlidi » Sat, 24. Sep 16, 17:28

have x3tc, x3ap, x:R. really enjoyed tc and ap but stopped playing all of it after the x:R disaster. So i suggest stay the f away from x rebirth. to put in perspective i have 500+ hrs in x3tc+x3ap, while only 70 hrs in x:R, and most of it is try to swim past the bugs to see the what was the story all about.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 29. Sep 16, 22:18

If you want a real challenge, try X3: Reunion - that is by far the hardest of the series (though unfortunately also the one with the least features and ships), but also more immersive (BBS news system makes all the difference).
X-Rebalance Mod
Changes far more than just rebalancing. It's the typical escalation of an initially simple rebalance into something that isn't true to vanilla anymore.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”