X:R/X3 Style 4x Game?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StormMagi
x4

X:R/X3 Style 4x Game?

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 08:59

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wasn't too sure.

Is there any chance of an offshoot X game in a 4x style ever being done?

Or is there another franchise that has the similar mechanics of the X games in a 4x style?
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

CommanderTM
xr

Re: X:R/X3 Style 4x Game?

Post by CommanderTM » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 09:48

I think it depends on what you like to focus on but X games are pretty unique. Havent found any that are like it.

There are a lot of similar games that are more focused on combat and less on building and exploring... and are more stategy-like-games.

The same sad truth goes on some other of my favorite games... Like Gothic series. Very few games like that...

It is not exactly 4X but i would recommend you check out Starpoint Gemini 2. Its a cool game from very cool devs. It is mostly about capship battles. There you could also board other ships and sell them or fly them or, if i remember correctly, add them to your fleet... Buy upgrades to your ships, hire crew to your ships, do missions, explore. Collect unique items. I really like how you control your ship in this game - you can direct power to what is important at certain times, like shields, engines, weapons or balance it the way you like it. The game also has mods.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236150/

Also, they are building a new game that is more focused on X4 aspects. On early access now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419480

BigBANGtheory
x4

Re: X:R/X3 Style 4x Game?

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 16:40

StormMagi wrote: Is there any chance of an offshoot X game in a 4x style ever being done?
4X style no I think X Universe will remain space sim first and foremost, more 4X features... yes I think that is very possible. X Universe even by its own methods has a stark gameplay gap that only 4X-lite and RTS-lite can plug imho.

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 18:36

Hi,
I remeber there is one game like X series - developed by former X modder.

But I completelly forgot name of that game. It is on steam ... probably released (oe in Early Access).

I remember customers reviews - game is average now with some annoying bugs.

BTW: Thanks for points to this new game "Starpoint Gemini Warlords". Description looks promising - we will see next month in EA how good it is.
It is looks like younger brother of X series now :-)
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 18:59

MMM Warlords seems to be the main choice, basically I want to be able to have multiple controllable ships but set some to go auto trade, others to explore etc while I explore/fight in my ship.
MOD XR Show Skills

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 22:23

StormMagi wrote:MMM Warlords seems to be the main choice, basically I want to be able to have multiple controllable ships but set some to go auto trade, others to explore etc while I explore/fight in my ship.
..and then you want to go explore fight/fight with that expensive fleet you've built for the past 50 game hrs

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 30. Mar 16, 22:29

Pretty much XD, essentially I want X:R/X3 in isometric/top down style :D
MOD XR Show Skills

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Thu, 31. Mar 16, 05:52

nalim27 wrote:Hi,
I remeber there is one game like X series - developed by former X modder.

But I completelly forgot name of that game. It is on steam ... probably released (oe in Early Access).

I remember customers reviews - game is average now with some annoying bugs.

BTW: Thanks for points to this new game "Starpoint Gemini Warlords". Description looks promising - we will see next month in EA how good it is.
It is looks like younger brother of X series now :-)
You mean Unending Galaxy.

It's available on Steam now. (and other places)

Unending Galaxy Developer website
http://www.anarkisgaming.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/439720/
Never went through Steam Early Access as several other games on steam.

Pretty much and isometric X Universe.

Unending Galaxy is Probably the closest 4X fit to the X-universe I know.

-- Ormac

Kregoth
xr

Post by Kregoth » Thu, 31. Mar 16, 06:15

If you want a game that is 4x that lets you build, design your own ships, with options to automate everything, than you want

Distant Universe.

I think this game is exactly what you are looking for, it amazing once you get the hang of it. You can play with a single ship and let the game automate everything else for you, or you can Micromanage the ever loving crap out of it! You can design your own ships and stations, or you can let the AI make them for you. You can automate everything else except military orders. You just lead a fleet of ships, while the AI does all the rest of the 4x stuff for you.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Thu, 31. Mar 16, 06:18

Looks interesting but SPW looks more like what I was looking for.
MOD XR Show Skills

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 31. Mar 16, 09:31

Both look interesting, ill check them out for sure!

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 31. Mar 16, 09:59

StormMagi wrote:Pretty much XD, essentially I want X:R/X3 in isometric/top down style :D
Ah but (and this is the important bit in the context of X Universe) do you want that available at the start of your game or do you want to build up to it having built or purchased a capital class ship like a carrier?

imho the unique selling point of X Universe is its space sim crossover potential with 4X and RTS i.e. the ability to bring 4X/RTS gameplay into the sim (which it already does to some degree) rather than port the sim to 4X/RTS. Otherwise you might as well play Galactic Civ or SoaSE with an X Universe skin or total conversion mod to my mind.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Sat, 2. Apr 16, 09:14

Yeah but overall the control interface in X3 is rather clunky for fleet, X:R is slightly better but overall both could use some substantial improvements.
MOD XR Show Skills

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 2. Apr 16, 20:46

There's also (can't believe no-one's mentioned it yet) a hybrid of 4X and RTS, Sins of a Solar Empire. I know it's moddable, but sadly I haven't seen/heard of an X-verse mod for it.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Sat, 2. Apr 16, 21:25

RAVEN.myst wrote:There's also (can't believe no-one's mentioned it yet) a hybrid of 4X and RTS, Sins of a Solar Empire. I know it's moddable, but sadly I haven't seen/heard of an X-verse mod for it.
Have played the sh** out of this game... I love it... but i wouldnt say it is similar to X series. SoSE is full RTS, not exactly space sim. :)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 2. Apr 16, 23:56

True enough, though it has substantial 4X elements, which is what I thought was being asked about :) I haven't played it myself in maybe a couple of years (though, like you, I love it and played it to death) - there's only one of me and, more importantly, I have only one gaming-grade PC, so it's one game at a time for me :D

Oh, the way I used to play TC/AP, however, was (late in a playthrough, anyhow) rather akin to a space RTS (yes, loooooots of ships involved, heheh!) Rebirth's ship-role (non-)diversification isn't really conducive to this sort of thing, though (sadly.)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Sun, 3. Apr 16, 01:58

That... I wouldn't really call it anything close to the x games. It is more of a generic 4x space, I have it, played it quite a bit but it is rather boring long term.
MOD XR Show Skills

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 3. Apr 16, 08:35

A turn based 4x game based closely on x games might be nice. Obviously be different to actual x games but use the lore the ships the tech the systems and it should be fun. Like space empires or birth of the federation or galactic civ games. Its not like flying in 3d is really needed is it.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”