EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

X- Inventory
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nikola515

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 11. Dec 16, 02:03    Post subject: X- Inventory Reply with quote Print

I been replying all X3 gmes again and noticed something that was always bugging me. X games have always been about trading items but they have never been presented properly. For example we know what they do but they are always just a number in inventory. They don't really have any physical form for us to see or to interact with tham in any way. In XR when we get them from locker or box they are just numbers and nothing more . This is another thing that is not important to gameplay but purely cosmetic. Here are some ideas that i think it would bring more immersive experience to game.

1) All items should have physical form (or at least majority).

2) 3D menu where we can look at items/ships/stations/weapons. We can zoom them in or out (simular to skyrim or fallout).

3) Items should be all over the station and ships interiors and not lockers and boxes. For example we open locker and we can see space suit inside.

4) Traders have their items that are being displayed on their store/shop.

5) Junk items that can be found all over the place just to populate interiors. For example engineering bay would have power tools,flash lights or E-Cells..... Med bay would have medical supplies....

I think this would help game look more netural and organic.... What does everyone think?

Gold Dragon

PostPosted: Sun, 11. Dec 16, 02:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Possibly. Even likely.

It will also kill many video cards.

Rail_Balco

PostPosted: Sun, 11. Dec 16, 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Gold Dragon wrote:
Possibly. Even likely.

Not only graphic cards, but CPUs as well...

bambikaka

PostPosted: Sun, 11. Dec 16, 16:19    Post subject: Re: X- Inventory Reply with quote Print

Nikola515 wrote:
I been replying all X3 gmes again and noticed something that was always bugging me. X games have always been about trading items but they have never been presented properly. For example we know what they do but they are always just a number in inventory. They don't really have any physical form for us to see or to interact with tham in any way. In XR when we get them from locker or box they are just numbers and nothing more . This is another thing that is not important to gameplay but purely cosmetic. Here are some ideas that i think it would bring more immersive experience to game.

1) All items should have physical form (or at least majority).

2) 3D menu where we can look at items/ships/stations/weapons. We can zoom them in or out (simular to skyrim or fallout).

3) Items should be all over the station and ships interiors and not lockers and boxes. For example we open locker and we can see space suit inside.

4) Traders have their items that are being displayed on their store/shop.

5) Junk items that can be found all over the place just to populate interiors. For example engineering bay would have power tools,flash lights or E-Cells..... Med bay would have medical supplies....

I think this would help game look more netural and organic.... What does everyone think?

this would be really nice, i liked in X3 to look at the holo images of items (even in x3 i was always disappointed when ive hit an item didnt have a holoimage) but real items would be better

Gold Dragon wrote:
Possibly. Even likely.

why would? there are plenty of games that does it with far more assets than what xr has in a scene

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 11. Dec 16, 18:18    Post subject: Re: X- Inventory Reply with quote Print

Nikola515 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean with the natural and organic look. But as you mentioned yourself already, your suggestion is purely cosmetic and has absolutely no impact on the gameplay. Yet creating models for all or most of the objects costs development time and has an impact on performance, and it may even create new problems with regards to storing these items in existing storage rooms or in seemingly random places on ships and stations.

In Skyrim and other fantasy RPGs, for example, you actually use single items as a person. You equip yourself with weapons and armaments. Gameplay actions are bound to these items, and looks do matter, for instance because people are often trying to complete certain armour sets. In X Rebirth, however, there is currently no First person or Third person gameplay implemented, for which you would need to hold any items in your hand. You don't board ships and fight in them yourself, you don't repair your own ship or sneak around to steal things from NPCs. And about trading, even in early trade runs you trade dozens, later hundreds or even thousands of units of a single ware. You don't do that manually by picking up wares and delivering them by foot to your ships. If I trade 1,000 energy cells through a menu, then it really doesn't matter what all of them look like. And even if I like getting a picture of things, this interest wears off really fast.

Some items, which are placed in specific locations to illustrate that respective actions are executed there (tools to repair stuff in a workshop etc.) are fine. Iirc in some places this is already the case. But before any major changes to the way items are presented are made, I really hope that there is a respective gameplay action implemented which benefits from that presentation in any way.

Farnhams Legende und Nopileos als E-Books!

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"If it's not impossible, there must be a way to do it." - Sir Nicholas Winton
bambikaka

PostPosted: Mon, 12. Dec 16, 00:39    Post subject: Re: X- Inventory Reply with quote Print

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
or sneak around to steal things from NPCs.

well, we are even climbing in the air went system to steal items from the npc-s but they are all the same boxes

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
And about trading, then it really doesn't matter what all of them look like.
i think it does, at least for some of us

Andoulline

PostPosted: Mon, 12. Dec 16, 11:54    Post subject: Re: X- Inventory Reply with quote Print

bambikaka wrote:
well, we are even climbing in the air went system to steal items from the npc-s but they are all the same boxes

Oddly enought this reminded me of something.

Wouldn't it be great if the station interiors contained a rail system or something that you can use to visit the other landing areas?

I may be in the minority who likes walking around on stations but having to go to space to visit a different part of the station always bugged me...

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Mon, 12. Dec 16, 12:45    Post subject: Re: X- Inventory Reply with quote Print

Andoulline wrote:
bambikaka wrote:

Oddly enought this reminded me of something.

Wouldn't it be great if the station interiors contained a rail system or something that you can use to visit the other landing areas?

I may be in the minority who likes walking around on stations but having to go to space to visit a different part of the station always bugged me...

Same here. Doesn't make sense, surely it ought to all be internally connected - it's one station, after all... RATS from Mass Effect, that's all it would take (though a short and optional animation could be nice...)

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Nikola515

PostPosted: Mon, 12. Dec 16, 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think they should also expand weapons mods features to shields,engines and hull as well. But instead of blowing up ships to get those mods we can purchase them from weapons traders. But only low and medium mods.... those high should be harder to find.

This would give player a reason why to visit traders. After I get all my weapons,shields and engines I don't even bother with traders. They don't have anything to offer (besides installing mods) and all junk items are not worth my time because they are worth so little.

As for railing it would be good idea as well. Take space train end enjoy view while train is traveling trough exterior of station. Only problem is that there is nothing to do in the other part of station because usually you have everything in one landing bay or you can just call them...

@X2-Illuminatus

What I meant is that stations or possibly ship interiors would look more realistic and less fake For example take look at Doom 3 (haven played 4 yet ) or Dead Space how their interiors look almost realistic. As for items you don't need to pick up every single item.... They can do something like Skyrim or Fallout did.... There is single item but it has number by it so for example there is 100 E-Cells but you need only single item for it and not 100. It might take them long time but it would be worth in the long run...