Game Crashes at Loading Screen

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jharii
x4

Game Crashes at Loading Screen

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 07:53

I took a chance and bought the game. I loaded the game once. I configured my HOTAS mapping and wrote down the keyboard commands to make a Voice Attack profile. I closed the game and created the profile.

Upon entering the game, the splash screen is displayed, followed by the loading screen, then the game crashes to desktop.
Last edited by Jharii on Thu, 4. Feb 16, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 14:23

I performed a full uninstall and reinstall. This did not resolve the issue. There is a flicker prior to the crash, as if the game is changing the resolution, which should not be the case, as the game resolution matches my native resolution and the intro splash screen is properly using that resolution.

Edit: I relocated the videos so the game would not load them, thinking it was a possibility that one of the videos loading was causing the issue. This did not resolve the problem.

I also cannot find a configuration file of any sort to try to revert back to the default resolution.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 14:44

It appears that the image used for the splash screen map be causing the issue. This is odd, because it initially loads. It appears that the second time it loads is causing the crash.

I renamed it to keep it entirely out of the loop and the game loads to the menu.

The file is: xuniverse logo_HD[]-rendertarget.jpg

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 15:00

I managed to start the game. I went in to tweak some control settings and crashed again to desktop. Now we are back to crashing when I load the game. Cannot even get to the menu screen.

Edit: Finally got in. Started a new game. Immediately crash to desktop.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 15:28

The dump file you attached is a binary file, so there is no point to add to your post. You can use a free file hoster to upload the file instead.

If you want to help Egosoft to track down the issue, please attach your dxdiag debug file and enable "Send crash reports" in Settings/Privacy Settings ingame, so the devs can take a look at it.

If you want to know how to create a dxdiag file: http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_ ... &version=9

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 15:52

Personally, I would like to see Egosoft help me track down the issue. That doesn't mean I don't want any other help, just that I would like to see their involvement. Customer service and all...

It is also very disappointing that there is no ability to upload files, particularly to their Tech Support section of the forum.

I am a professional/advanced user, so I can handle just about any task you throw at me without instruction... which just adds to the frustration.

I am back to the point where I cannot even get into the game. It is crashing to desktop upon loading, so I am unable to change any settings. My rig is a beast with drivers completely up to date.

The dxdiag and dump files are here:

http://1drv.ms/1QEIUl1

http://1drv.ms/1QEIScX

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:28

We're looking at your dump file now, but in the meantime please check out the Technical Troubleshooting forum and see if there are items in there that match your scenario.

Please also perform a file verification for the game using the Steam client, and confirm that your game is not modified in any way.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:31

Two things strike me from your DxDiag:

1. You have 3 different sound devices and drivers operating at the same time and one is not fully approved for use with Win10 x64. I would disable any sound devices and their drivers that you do not use in Device Manager.

2. Your Microsoft Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) is repeatedly crashing according to your DxDiag Windows Error Reports (WER). What mode are you running X Rebirth in (Full, Window, Borderless Window) and with what resolution (compared to your system native resolutions)?

With regard to the dump file (which Egosoft will probably have received from Steam anyway if you enabled it), on this forum just posting the relevant Event Viewer error reports would be useful.

Good luck.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:37

CBJ wrote: Please also perform a file verification for the game using the Steam client, and confirm that your game is not modified in any way.
I did the file verification and this is a fresh installation, no modifications whatsoever.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:44

Alan Phipps wrote:Two things strike me from your DxDiag:

1. You have 3 different sound devices and drivers operating at the same time and one is not fully approved for use with Win10 x64. I would disable any sound devices and their drivers that you do not use in Device Manager.

2. Your Microsoft Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) is repeatedly crashing according to your DxDiag Windows Error Reports (WER). What mode are you running X Rebirth in (Full, Window, Borderless Window) and with what resolution (compared to your system native resolutions)?

With regard to the dump file (which Egosoft will probably have received from Steam anyway if you enabled it), on this forum just posting the relevant Event Viewer error reports would be useful.

Good luck.
1. While this should not cause an issue, I tried disabling all but the default. Now the game crashed upon loading, but the intro music and sound is still playing in the background. Interesting, since I cannot discern what task is controlling the sound, specifically.

2. Both are running at 3840x2160. I have tried full screen, windowed, and borderless with the same results.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 16:50

There appears to be a conflict with the Desktop Windows Manager.

Windows Event Log Entry 1 taken directly after crash:

Code: Select all

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          2/2/2016 10:55:42 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      T-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d756
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.10586.71, time stamp: 0x5699d1c2
Exception code: 0xc0000602
Fault offset: 0x00000000000e02db
Faulting process id: 0x186c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d15dd07f4dcc78
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: 04bb28cf-5f57-43ef-b6e5-f8630076308a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-02T15:55:42.234253300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>4469</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>T-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>dwm.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.0</Data>
    <Data>5632d756</Data>
    <Data>dwmcore.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.71</Data>
    <Data>5699d1c2</Data>
    <Data>c0000602</Data>
    <Data>00000000000e02db</Data>
    <Data>186c</Data>
    <Data>01d15dd07f4dcc78</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll</Data>
    <Data>04bb28cf-5f57-43ef-b6e5-f8630076308a</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 17:05

You seem to have be having repeated issues with with dwmcore.dll. As you are IT literate, please make sure that you have and are using the correct 64 bit version of that dll, and possibly even try a repair or replacement.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 17:34

Alan Phipps wrote:You seem to have be having repeated issues with with dwmcore.dll. As you are IT literate, please make sure that you have and are using the correct 64 bit version of that dll, and possibly even try a repair or replacement.
The dwmcore.dll has been repaired/replaced. Now when the game is launched, sound is heard, but the screen goes black. I am unable to ALT-TAB out or open up Task Manager or go to desktop with WIN-D. A reboot is necessary at this point.

Since the game does not crash, no log or event entry is generated specifically to the issue.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 17:57

It would seem that the issue resided in the SSAO (Ambient Occlusion) being enabled in game. After this was disabled, I am able to both run the game and play it. I will cross my fingers that this was the issue.

Thank you for your assistance.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Thu, 4. Feb 16, 03:05

Back to crashing to desktop again. Sometimes just before the main menu loads. Sometimes when I click the save game to load. Completely inconsistent, but similar to before. I am giving up and will give it a try when 4.0 becomes available. Maybe they will have fixed the issue by then.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 4. Feb 16, 11:57

The issue to be fixed here does not lie within the game; it seems to be with your system, OS or set-up.

Going by the error reports in the DxDiag it is not just restricted to failing with X Rebirth.

As replacing a Windows Management file and later changing a graphics setting both affected the nature of the failure modes, they might be clues that the actual problems lie in your windows and graphics management areas.

You could be seeing a cumulative effect of two or more issues which makes it even more unpredictable and elusive.

Jharii
x4

Post by Jharii » Thu, 4. Feb 16, 19:05

The issue occurs at various points when the game makes graphical transitions. This happens with no other game or program. The errors and crashes only occur during X:R. The error with dwmcore.dll was never generated prior to installing and running X:R.

The issue may, indeed, be specific to my system. But the issue is not happening BECAUSE of my system.

Thanks for your efforts, though.

Mrausche

Post by Mrausche » Mon, 25. Apr 16, 15:50

I just managed to trace mystery crashes on my rig to the Logitech G940. Once disconnected the game starts fine. Ensure for testing purpuses that only mouse and kybd are connected to rule out peripherals. Good luck.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”