Scaldis vs Rahanas

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CommanderTM
xr

Scaldis vs Rahanas

Post by CommanderTM » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 09:02

Hi

I was wondering about Scaldis and its usefulness against Rahanas.

Right now, i am using Scaldis 95% of the time, unless the station is Energy Array and i know it can buy whatever it needs from other ships and only deliver energy cells. In that case, i just buy couple of Energy Rahanas.

The fact that it can take on all wares is too appealing. With only Rahanas, lets say Bulk and Container and Energy (one of each), the ships can deliver whatever wares the station needs and do it separately - means more speed. BUT, the demand of wares is rarely equal/stable. When most wares are full and couple other are in high demand (lets say bulk wares), one Bulk Rahanas will struggle to keep supplying, while other ships are just sitting there. Same with selling the stock. That case, you just buy Another Bulk Rahanas... and now you have total of 4. Or, the demand changes and now you need more Container storage. But, with 2 Scaldis, the station can focus on delivering whatever it needs, whenever it needs it. I dont know which is more expensive, 4 Rahanas or 2 Scaldis. I assume about the same.

Plus, the Scaldis has more hull and shield and can survive longer. I havent used Scaldis to collect scoop, but it can do that too. Another plus. If station has low on ions, it can collect it, if it has plenty again, it can resume to move some wares.

Right now, the only advantage of Rahanas seems to be speed - strength in numbers... but is that really that important. It may matter at the beginning, to get the station up and running. But if station has half of the resource containers full... the availability of wares are a lot more dependant of availability, not speed of delivery. I dont have the game here with me so i cant check about the storage space. Maybe that would be another plus of Rahanas...

I only bought Rahanas at the beginning of the game, because they were a lot cheaper, but, as soon as i could afford Scaldis, i have never looked back. Now, when money does not matter, i do not see any reason to go below Scaldis. Buying Scaldis and OL version is all i do. 1-3 Scaldis per station, depending on station/demand and it will be okay. For really high demand, ill throw in a Titurel too.

I may be totally wrong, thats why this topic exists. What do you guys/girls think? What ships do you use the most? For what reason?
Last edited by CommanderTM on Tue, 26. Jan 16, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 10:41

Use a Scaldi as a scavenger/supply ship and try mainly to use Teladi based trade ships .....
Why .... I like the distinctive look... no commercial decision making just for the looks....... Although that may change with H.O.L.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 11:54

Scaldis isn't a "Jack of all trades", it's more of a "pretty under-avarage in every terms" ship.
Yes, it can carry any type of wares, but the cargobay for each type is very limited.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 12:04

Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Scaldis isn't a "Jack of all trades", it's more of a "pretty under-avarage in every terms" ship.
Yes, it can carry any type of wares, but the cargobay for each type is very limited.
Yeah, i thought it wasnt very good description. So, what ships do you use the most?

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 12:41

Most players would either use Lyraneas(OL) or a combination of DeVries ships.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 12:42

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:Most players would either use Lyraneas(OL) or a combination of DeVries ships.
You could also tell me why? I am also using the OL version if i can but that shipyard is often out of stuff and i just dont feel like sending my traders that far... There must be a good reason to buy them from that far? Or are you talking about people building in OL... My main stuff is all in Albion.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 13:20

valgusepoiss wrote:
Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Scaldis isn't a "Jack of all trades", it's more of a "pretty under-avarage in every terms" ship.
Yeah, i thought it wasnt very good description. So, what ships do you use the most?
I like Sahanars. They are fast and carry enough cargo.
For construction purposes, a single Lyranea is great because it can carry enough material to build several station modules at once, and has enough weaponry to smash Titurels down.

For station supply, Rahanas or Styrvok liquid/bulk/energy do the trick. Reliable and fast, haven't lost a single ship and stations run without stoppage.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 19:57

My favorites would have to be the Lepton and the Sanahar, especially for station supply, because they're relatively small, fast, and maneouverable. For things that the two above ships can't carry, I use the small Styrvoks. (Not the bigger ones with combined cargo storage.)

Thing that took me a while to learn is that huge cargo space isn't all that useful for station traders and spot trading because they only usually need to move things in relatively small amounts except for the initial influx of resources to get stations up and running.

A huge cargo space only really makes sense if you find a really cheap ware and want to hoard it for when prices go up. For that, I store them in stations or use Titurels just because I have so many of them. (Although there don't appear to be all that many around anymore.)

Have to say, only time I used the Scaldis was my very first play through back in 2014.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 20:18

I'd love to see OL Lepton size universal freighter.

Jaxartes
x4

Post by Jaxartes » Tue, 26. Jan 16, 20:20

I use Lyramekrons for everything, yes they are expensive, unimaginative, slow, but they refuse to die versus just about everything.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 28. Jan 16, 01:31

birdtable wrote:Use a Scaldi as a scavenger/supply ship and try mainly to use Teladi based trade ships .....
Why .... I like the distinctive look... no commercial decision making just for the looks....... Although that may change with H.O.L.
I only like the XL Teladi Freighters for the bulk capacity, around 300,000 capacity, great for stations like Metal Works Yards and buying bulk wares for Food Staplery's.

Even with the new 'flee danger' protocols of ships that's sheilds are reduced to 60% the Rahannas Ships still get popped by Taranis Destroyers.
Need Ships with greater hull.
So I would say Scaldis is better.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 28. Jan 16, 02:21

When I have the cash to buy & equip them, I use Scaldis as my RMP station miners

The compartmentalised cargo hold is a boon in that if the station's full of one needed ware, another can still be mined as necessary

OK they're relatively fragile, but not so much as a Rahanas (starter-ships IMO); if the station's likely to send a miner into a dangerous area I'll use a Tit instead; it's a lot slower but it gets the job done & is more likely to survive :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 1. Feb 16, 21:30

I only ever used Titurels as trade ships.. they never get hurt, nice cargo.
Maybe im missing something?
Think OL has some nice freighters with universal cargo, but buying one takes so much longer then boarding usually.

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Thu, 4. Feb 16, 08:13

See my capital ships guide for more info on what to use for what. :)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4400578

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 4. Feb 16, 08:26

pref wrote:I only ever used Titurels as trade ships.. they never get hurt, nice cargo.
Maybe im missing something?
Think OL has some nice freighters with universal cargo, but buying one takes so much longer then boarding usually.
They are my preferred trade ships too. BUT, only way to get them is to board them... and when im building 3 new stations at the same time and want to have multiple ships assigned to managers... then boarding gets tricky. It involves too much repeating actions and hunting for missions and all that stuff... so i went towards Scaldis and boarded Titurels whenever i see them. I have yet to check out other ships other people recommended... There may be better options than Scaldis.
Simoom wrote:See my capital ships guide for more info on what to use for what. :)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4400578

EDIT
Reading it, i guess Lyranea is the best XL trading ship? I have multiple of those aswell and i too noticed it has bigger cargo space than Scaldis. And, not like Scaldis, according to the info, it appears to have Titurel like universal cargo space? Damn... will have to place some more orders of those :)

Also, wondering about Scaldis cargo fix mod as was mentioned. It kinda feel like it is between somewhere between cheating and fixing something that devs forgot... Not sure if i want to use it.

Anybody does use the mod, what you think??

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 7. Feb 16, 20:34

Lyranae you can often get as kill mission target, sounds good :D

Does the scaldis cargo hurt you? Stations barely trade in high volume.
Unless you want to stockpile wares it should do its job.
And without the mod you would have a reason to acquire some Lyranae as well, not sure it thats such a bad thing.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”