X3 TC - cls / cag trading combo?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Post Reply
minderbinder77
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri, 25. Sep 15, 20:57

X3 TC - cls / cag trading combo?

Post by minderbinder77 » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 21:18

Hi, I'm returning to x3 TC after 5 years since I last played so I'm a bit rusty. Just running through the Terran plot.

I was thinking of setting up a big 1mj shield complex (maybe in Argon Prime - 20 plus factories), using CAGs to supply energy, ore and food. In theory, my complex would be a big store to capture all these resources in the surrounding sectors. I would then use CLS traders to sell the intermediate products to other stations, who will be low on these products (because they are all sitting in my complex) and pay high prices.

This is pure theorycrafting so before I spend ages setting it up I wanted to ask if anyone had done something similar and whether you had any success, or any tips. Also if you can point me to any advanced guides on CLS trading, that would be appeciated.

Thanks

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3159
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 21:25

Link in sig.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

minderbinder77
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri, 25. Sep 15, 20:57

Post by minderbinder77 » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 21:47

Wow - your guide is more than I could have hoped for - worthy of serious study. Very much appreciated.

ancienthighway
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue, 24. Apr 07, 05:25

Post by ancienthighway » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 21:51

You can do most of what you want using CAGs. On the station change the setting to buy/sell intermediate products, then the shields, meatsteaks, and argnu beef can be sold by the CAG, while meatsteaks, argnu beef, ore, and energy cells will be bought by the CAG. You would only need the CLS2 to sell ore and e-cells if that's in your plan.

Having the complex in Argon prime with a trading range set to 6 or 7 will give you access to 5 Argon, 2 Boron, 1 Paranid and 1 Teladi equipment docks to sell shields and IREs if you build those also. There's also 3 military outposts nearby to dump excesses.

Ore in the AP area is plentiful and it is mined quickly once sold. I don't think you'd be able to build enough ore consumers for the station to lock it down, at least not at a price I'd be willing to pay.

With this complex as the base, you can add as many cattle ranches and bakeries as desire to monopolize the food in the area.

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3159
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 21:56

ancienthighway wrote:You can do most of what you want using CAGs. On the station change the setting to buy/sell intermediate products, then the shields, meatsteaks, and argnu beef can be sold by the CAG, while meatsteaks, argnu beef, ore, and energy cells will be bought by the CAG. You would only need the CLS2 to sell ore and e-cells if that's in your plan.

Having the complex in Argon prime with a trading range set to 6 or 7 will give you access to 5 Argon, 2 Boron, 1 Paranid and 1 Teladi equipment docks to sell shields and IREs if you build those also. There's also 3 military outposts nearby to dump excesses.

Ore in the AP area is plentiful and it is mined quickly once sold. I don't think you'd be able to build enough ore consumers for the station to lock it down, at least not at a price I'd be willing to pay.

With this complex as the base, you can add as many cattle ranches and bakeries as desire to monopolize the food in the area.
CAGs doing the selling will drive the prices down. The problem I've had with CAG exclusive operations is that if CAGs are buying and selling you only get to set one price. If you could set intermediate products for "buy at this, sell at that" CAGs would be awesome.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3159
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 21:58

minderbinder77 wrote:Wow - your guide is more than I could have hoped for - worthy of serious study. Very much appreciated.
Any time. Feel free to add your results and observations to it as your project progresses.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

ancienthighway
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue, 24. Apr 07, 05:25

Post by ancienthighway » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 22:47

With the plan being to monopolize the food trade, and being able to set stock levels at the complex, I think most of the CAG selling would be closer to max prices than average price. Using CLS2 will guarantee the price you want, but at the cost of micromanaging the set up process.

Either way could be used and still make a profit with the higher profit potentially from the CLS2 method.

Timsup2nothin
Posts: 3159
Joined: Thu, 22. Jan 09, 18:49

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 25. Sep 15, 22:58

ancienthighway wrote:With the plan being to monopolize the food trade, and being able to set stock levels at the complex, I think most of the CAG selling would be closer to max prices than average price. Using CLS2 will guarantee the price you want, but at the cost of micromanaging the set up process.

Either way could be used and still make a profit with the higher profit potentially from the CLS2 method.
I am a max profit squeezer. Can't help myself.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”