Exporting ships models for some renders

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Exporting ships models for some renders

Post by Aken_Bosch » Sun, 13. Sep 15, 22:28

Just a quick question, I would like to extract some ships model and import them in Blender (or similar, I'll have to learn to use it first :))...I don't need to modify or re-convert them for the game, I already know what are the tools available, I'd just like to have the models for some hi-res (very hi-res) render that I could use....

I would like to know this from someone who already did it eventually: since the ships in Rebirth have several modules on their hulls, when I import a ship model in a 3d software do I get it complete of all its parts and materials (a bit like with the old "scene" files from the previous X3, the resulting exported models usually came up pretty nice), or do I just get the basic hull without mobile elements/texures/materials?

It's been some years since the last time I did something similar for some X3 fan art...I thought it would be nice to give X Rebirth a bit of love in this regard too :)

DaveDee
x4

Post by DaveDee » Sun, 13. Sep 15, 22:38

Hi there!

I were using http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm for something like that.
But it was tooooo long ago and i can't provide any info about usage of this tool.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Thu, 17. Sep 15, 13:02

Thank you for your input, I was aware already of 3d rippers, but I know they usually don't work with steam games so that's a no-no (tried it in any case, no-no confirmed)...I managed to export and convert some of the assets from the game files, but all I get in blender are the stripped ship meshes (as I feared), without textures or materials applied apart from a very basic one....not that much useful for what I inteded to do...so I'm afraid with the new engine there's no other way to get the models ready for rendering as was possible in the past :cry:

I'll remain with a nice background then...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”