Viewing Scriptproperties file (SOLVED, problem with IE11 on Win8)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

strude
x4

Viewing Scriptproperties file (SOLVED, problem with IE11 on Win8)

Post by strude » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 06:21

Is there any way to do this without using Firefox. I use Chrome, and have IE available. I'm not interested in installing Firefox to look at this file though. So is it possible any other way?
Last edited by strude on Sun, 6. Sep 15, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 06:33

It's news to me that this file only works in FF - did you also extract the other referenced files in the libraries folder? (factions.xml wares.xml scriptproperties.xml and maybe some more)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

strude
x4

Post by strude » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 06:44

I used the Steam tool to extract the entire file tree. Unless some things didn't come through. I have the libraries folder which is fairly populated. Running in ie pops up that it needs Java script, and clicking allow just leaves me with a musky black screen with some controls at the top which don't seem to function.

The mdscript document says Chrome could be a problem.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 17:45

is there a file called scriptproperties.xml (89kb) in your libraries folder? and also a scriptproperties.xsl (16kb)? because i get what you described if either of them is missing/renamed. (at least the scriptproperties.css can be found because your background is black, otherwise it would be white)

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 18:53

Confirming issues with the html in Chrome. not tested IE/Edge or Opera. I use Firefox mostly anyway so it wasn't a big concern for my own usage.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 20:46

Can confirm it's working with Edge.

edit: er, no. Sorry, my mistake. Expression and Sort properties fields at the top, but typing something in Expression does nothing.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 00:43

I know those files are there UT, but I'll confirm the file sizes match yours when I get home.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 05:00

Just checked those files UT. Both are there and have the same file size as you listed. There is also a scriptproperties.xsd file (9kb).

I changed my internet explorer settings to always allow active content from file on my PC, which stopped it prompting that it needed to run active content, but still displays nothing but a black page and a few controls that don't seem to do anything. Display is as per the following image.

I can enter text in the field, but pressing enter or changing any options doesn't seem to do anything.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Sun, 6. Sep 15, 15:04

Don't suppose anyone's had any thoughts on this? I've tried using the reset button in IE to set all browser settings back to default with no result.

EDIT. FYI when using the developer tools, I get an exception on the line

Code: Select all

xhttp.open("GET", fullpath, false);
where fullpath is "libraries/scriptproperties.xml"

so it does appear to be having trouble accessing the files UniTrader mentioned. However there shouldn't be any restrictions on that file. I can open it without problems in Notepad++

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 6. Sep 15, 15:23

This shouldn't be the http protocol but something with file - seems IE is too stupid to see that this is a local file and tries to fetch it from a nonexistent server... I could be mistaken though - not really familiar with IE

strude
x4

Post by strude » Sun, 6. Sep 15, 16:42

Looks like a problem with IE11 combined with Win8. According to what I've been reading, there is a check in JavaScript that determines if it's running in an IE window or not, and executes accordingly.

Code: Select all

if (!window.ActiveXObject) {
					// Normal browser
					var xhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
					xhttp.open("GET", fullpath, false);
					try {
						xhttp.send();
					} catch(e) {
						//alert(e);
						return null;
					}
					return xhttp.responseXML;
				}
				else {
					// Internet Explorer
					var xml = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.6.0");
					// Add namespace prefix, in case the file is a schema
					xml.setProperty("SelectionNamespaces", "xmlns:xs='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'");
					xml.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
					xml.async = false;
					try {
						xml.load(fullpath);
					} catch(e) {
						return null;
					}
					if (!xml.documentElement) {
						return null;
					}
					return xml;
				}
IE should fail the "IF" condition and execute the "ELSE" section. For me this wasn't happening and hence failing to load the document. By commenting out the "other browser" sections and condition checks in a couple of locations (thereby forcing the IE section to execute), I can load the document.

From what I've read, this is a problem on Win8 and IE11, due to Microsoft phasing out support for ActiveX.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”