Mass Drivers and Ammo. What is your opinion?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

b-b-q
x2

Mass Drivers and Ammo. What is your opinion?

Post by b-b-q » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 03:26

I like the concept of the Mass Drivers (loved those HeavyMounted, ArmorPiercing, AutoFire Mass Drivers in Master of Orion II). They seem to work pretty good in combat, but the issue with the ammo is a probably for me. Its not hard to erect an Ammo Factory but keep having to restock seems to be a pain. Do you use 'em?

Bowak
x3tc

Post by Bowak » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 03:40

I had 1 fitted to my nova in 1.2 as soon as I found out you could make pilots bail at 87% hull. However I've had to start again with 1.3 due to unrelated computer problems so I don't know if they're worth it anymore.

I guess they'd be handy for taking down the bigger ships if you don't have enough firepower to strip their shields though. 8)
Bowak
1 TL, 1M6, 3M3s + others The UNCC

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 03:40

MD's are useless, nuff said.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

SunFire
x3tc

Post by SunFire » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 03:56

They are not useless not by a long shot, equip 2 of them on your nova or mamba and you got one fast killing machine, also cuts through khaak armour like buttter (not including khak capitals!) Also they make great capturing guns, and the ammo issue can be fixed once you own an ammunition factory.

If the Dragon could hold 2 forward mass drivers, id sell my Nemesis in a flash and go all mass driver casue that thing can hold 4 mass driver turrets at the back, but only one at the front. :(
Last edited by SunFire on Fri, 26. Mar 04, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 03:58

a ion/ bhept combo minces khaak in seconds and you dont waste ammo.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

SunFire
x3tc

Post by SunFire » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 04:01

Thats true but then how do you take out all those m5's with that weapon config, you will be there for ages trying to hit those fast little guys, the mass driver never misses and fires at a fast rate, taking down m5's and m4's in seconds.

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 04:05

I dont like purchasing ammo for it, thats why i hate it.

Only a small persentage of stations have MD ammo and im fed up toiling around for it.

Give me pulse cannons over Md's anyday.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 04:10

Mass Drivers are great on the dragon. The Turrets have no problem hitting even when moving full tilt. It's easy enough to get your own ammo factory going so there's no reason not to use them.

They are really nice on Novas too. The rear turret can cause a lot of chaos with them.

I love em, but they aren't for everyone.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”