Wiki - support thread

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stefanEgo
x4

Wiki - support thread

Post by stefanEgo » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 16:38

We've set up a wiki-system for the community where you can publish your own content now.
Please take a look at http://wiki.egosoft.com

Do not hesitate to add your own content, if you think it would be useful for others too.
If you run into problems/issues when using the Wiki or if you have suggestions to improve things, you can post these in this thread.

Coordinating Moderator
  • Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderators
  • DrSuperEvil
  • Ironbuket
  • Snafu
  • solntcev
Last edited by stefanEgo on Fri, 9. Mar 18, 16:36, edited 7 times in total.
Stefan Hett

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 11:32

Update on wiki content for modders

There are lots potential sources of info that can help modders on the wiki and dotted around the forum (some on sticked pages, others having sunk out of sight). To help keep track of them the following wiki page, and it's child pages, contains the wiki info and hyperlinks to forum info.

Mods and modding support

As the above page (and some child pages) has just received a spring clean and a few additions, it's not a bad time to give it a little limelight :wink:

Summary of sources of info for modders:
1. The wiki hosts 12 Egosoft-created pages of info.
2. The wiki links [at least] 6 Egosoft-created non-wiki pages of info (linked on the wiki).
3. The forum hosts many player-created modding guides and tips (many linked on the wiki).

In the case of number 3, I'm sure I've only been able to scratched the surface. Please feel free to add as many useful hyperlinks to the lists as you like. Or similarly, feel free to create child pages on the wiki there if you'd like to write some info down.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 3. Feb 16, 00:35

Hi Kane,

Thanks for your feedback here. I think I have covered the main points from my limited knowledge but please feel free to follow-up.
Kane Hart wrote: If so that is not a wiki. It's some busted up script of a site.
Wikipedia defines a wiki as "a website which allows collaborative modification of its content and structure directly from the web browser". I think the X-Universe wiki offers that because anyone can create, edit and move content on it. Please see the wiki-based guide here (and the child pages to the left of that page) for further info.
Kane Hart wrote: Not only that but normally the person who sets up the wiki has to setup some basic rules, and layout but also included some sort of formatting guideline.
Basic rules are on the home pages, such as here for the Rebirth wiki. If you have some suggestions for improving them, you are welcome to provide feedback to either community-based moderators (myself for the English language wiki at this point) or stefanEgo from Egosoft. I'd suggest me so Stefan can focus on 4.00 beta but there isn't a rule for that yet! :)
Kane Hart wrote: I'm sorry but I suggest using something like media wiki but if the devs don't have the time or talent to setup the base wiki properly I suggest waiting or looking for a community member to do it instead.
This is a question that others would be able to answer better than I but from my perspective, there are already wikis and websites out there (for example, some have been listed on the wiki here). We're free to use and contribute to those or others as well/instead. Advantages of this wiki include that it's integrated into this forum and with some of Egosoft's ongoing internal work. For example, their sharing of UI modding documentation, and the UI changelog, which is based within Confluence's sister software, JIRA.

Is it the best wiki in the world for us players? I wouldn't know as I've only contributed to a couple of others but from your post I guess I could take it that it might not be. Is it one that Egosoft are already using and have opened up to us? Yes and that works for me, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 18. Feb 16, 02:54

OK, I've been thinking about some problems for the last few months. There appears to be no Wiki page dedicated to problems with the Wiki, so I'll post them here prior to creating such a page..

Editing
  • Text cursor vanishes/reappears (seemingly at random), making quick & accurate typo-fixes difficult & time-consuming

The visual ability to drag & drop selected text (as in eg MS Word) is there, but the /action/ doesn't do anything. Pease either remove the visual or fix the action!

'Leading' (space between lines) isn't consistent; <shift-enter> allows minimal leading; <Enter> by itself produces 1.5x leading (ie for paragraph breaks).. most of the time (table entries tend to show this anomaly). This action should be swapped IMO to lead to more consistent understanding with most editing tools

Losing (visible) cursor after edits.. as above
'Child space'
A good idea, but desperately needs to be made more obvious to the viewer. A standout background colour for the sidebar perhaps? Or simply list the tree branches (links) as plain text (small font), thus making the column wider & more immediately visible..

Ah! Just discovered the >> 'expand sidebar' button; that makes things a lot better but it could be ..umm.. promoted/advertised a little better? Move it to the top of the sidebar so it's immediately visible?

(I am in no way a web dev so common terms to them may be lost on me; very basic HTML is as far as my knowledge goes)

I still don't understand what 'Space tools' are or why they may be accessible to /content/ mods, but I'll hope this is resolved at some point in the future (see above WRT my lack of website experience).. Perhaps a brief guide would help? ;) (If posted on the wiki make it 'mod-accessible' only ofc)

(minor gripe): no spellcheck highlighting for /obvious/ typos; I don't expect Devs to implement a full multi-language checker but something basic would be convenient :)

All these actions were undertaken in Firefox (Windows) 64, latest version, with Noscript disabled for this site (Adblock+ still running)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 18. Feb 16, 17:14

Snafu_X3 wrote:here appears to be no Wiki page dedicated to problems with the Wiki, so I'll post them here prior to creating such a page..
There is one already: Known issues in the Wiki system
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 18. Feb 16, 18:39

Ah; Tks X2-I - I missed that :oops:
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 15:35

Wiki is currently broken. There's a message saying Confluence failed to bootstrap. Has been this way for 2 days now.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 15:57

NewtSoup wrote:Wiki is currently broken. There's a message saying Confluence failed to bootstrap. Has been this way for 2 days now.
probably has to do with the entire egosoft site being broken over the weekend. i expect a server crash.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 16:02

Thanks for reporting.

It may relate to the parallel forum outage that is now fixed.

Devs informed about the wiki problem too.

Edit: Ninjaed :)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 09:55

Please note that some maintenance to the Wiki is underway this week, which may break existing hyperlinks you may have/find in the short term.

The Wiki should remain usable but pages may not be where they were in the past.

Changelog:
- Moving general pages (e.g. on how to use the Wiki) from the "X Rebirth Wiki" Space to a new "Wiki - Introductions (en/de) Home" Space since the Wiki evolved to gain new Spaces for X3 games.
- Some minor reorganisation of remaining X Rebirth Wiki pages alongside removal of a depreciated level in the hierarchy ("English Wiki").

Similar changes will occur in parallel to the German language Wiki pages.

Regards,
The Wiki Team (StefanEgo, solntcev, Snafu_X3, MrMack1793, Xeelee2 and myself)

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 21:44

Perhaps a PEBCAK problem, but I can't see a way to register as a user there and it doesn't accept my forum username/password.
You were warned... pirates will be hunted down like vermin.

Ex Turbo Modestum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 22:13

@ Reven: If you click the 'show more' link in the opening 'Welcome to the X Rebirth Wiki.' box then all will be revealed. In short, you cannot register and don't even need to.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 22:28

Ah. I never looked at the Rebirth page.

I understand about the login issue. However, If all contributions are going to be anonymous then there will be several problems. Wiki is an egalitarian concept, but if it gains momentum there will be a need for different levels of access to avoid defacement. Also it will be much easier to attract quality contributors if their contributions are recognized, not to mention that it's difficult to foster the necessary meta-discussions among contributors this way.

Is the license something that is going to be upgraded? There are some fantastic open source solutions that would be ideal.

Ex Turbo Modestum

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 01:21

Thanks for your interest in this platform :)
Reven wrote:Wiki is an egalitarian concept, but if it gains momentum there will be a need for different levels of access to avoid defacement.
Two years in, this hasn't been a problem so far (!). Changes are easy revert if needed and I've no doubt Egosoft have some tricks up their sleeve if need be.

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Tue, 21. Nov 17, 03:26

The defacement issue is a small part of my point. It's good to be able to log in and get a list of your contributions. It's good from an organizational point, and from an ownership perspective. It's good to have a user page with space to lay out your plans and organize your thoughts, a place for collaboration and communication. Without logins there is no ability to track changes and contributions made to your pet projects. In short, it's difficult for people to take ownership. Wiki is all about people taking initiative and fostering a pride of contribution, community, and ownership. Wiki contributions are made when someone sees a need and takes ownership of the problem and does something to fix it. A faceless environment is not a good way to foster that.

Ex Turbo Modestum

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 13:16

Certainly we are aware of the current limitations and having separate accounts for all contributors/players would really be something we'd also like to realize at one point. That said, all of your points are truely valid for sure. I'll take the opportunity to revisit our options and will get back to this thread (this is likely to take around 2 or 3 weeks).
Stefan Hett

sirdezir

Post by sirdezir » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:37

hy guy I have x rebirth purchased. I need help how can I get the latest update to this game and how to dowload beta . :) :? :? :? :?
hello everyone

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 20:08

If you purchased the game from Steam, it will always be installed in its latest version. If you believe there's a problem with your installation (such as that not all files have been downloaded correctly), you can let Steam verify X Rebirth, as described in this FAQ article. Information on how to download the beta version of the game can be found in the Public Beta forum here. Please note that the currently listed version there is identical to the current release version (4.30). That means there's no specific beta version available for testing at the moment.

If you purchased the game from GOG, please see this FAQ article on where to download patches and the like. Alternatively, if you're using the GOG Galaxy client, click on the game in your library and use the "More" button to get additional downloads displayed (whereby the game should be installed on GOG in the latest version, too). Access to beta versions is not provided through GOG though. But then again, there's nothing to test at the moment anyway.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 17:35

Just to give some heads up on the separate user account situation:
We checked on this the past weeks and unfortunately don't have any suitable solution for that at the moment. We'll keep this on the radar though and hope to have some better option to go in the future.
Stefan Hett

CircuitByrd
x4

Re: Wiki - support thread

Post by CircuitByrd » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 16:03

Any update on this? Many of us are really enjoying exploring the game, and would love a way to share our findings with the community. A wiki would be very useful, before an unofficial one crops up somewhere and there end up being two (splitting the contributors and reducing the overall value of either).

You might wish to look at using the Wikimedia platform. It is free and open source, and the same engine which runs Wikipedia, and does not require much of a web server. Happy to assist with getting a server set up if that would help (if you are using AWS there may already be a Wikimedia AMI on the marketplace, but I could package one for you if needed!)

Thanks for the excellent game, team!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”