Is this game worth getting?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

malthe317
x3ap

Is this game worth getting?

Post by malthe317 » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 16:31

This game have gotten a lot of hate in the reviews on steam and i am not sure if i should buy it or not. I really liked the privious x games and what i enjoy must about this series is the building of an empire with factories and stuff like that. What are your opinion? should i buy it? Is empire building still as fun as in the older games?

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 17:09

XR keeps the spirit of past X games but plays out differently, so if you liked X2, X3 it's hard that you will hate XR.
As for the reviews: changelogs say more than reviews.

XR has a complex trading and economy system that you can enhance through station building and hiring personel.
If you want to change the original gameplay, a lot of mods are available too.

XenonS
Last edited by XenonSurf on Sun, 19. Jul 15, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

malthe317
x3ap

Post by malthe317 » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 17:12

that is ofc true :)

JimmiG
x3

Post by JimmiG » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 17:12

There were many things they didn't fix before abandoning the game, especially with fleets and such.

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 17:16

JimmiG wrote:...abandoning the game...
I think you better read various threads before telling nonsense :shock:

XenonS

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 18:25

XenonSurf wrote:
JimmiG wrote:...abandoning the game...
I think you better read various threads before telling nonsense :shock:

XenonS
CBJ did say that most of their current work is for their new game. Although he didn't exclude a possible DLC for the few still playing.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 19:01

They are currently working in patch 3.60.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 19:14

I dont think the empire building aspect gets even close to that of X3.
You can have a couple of stations, building them is more a detailed process now (getting resources, employees and whatnot),
* but they will be automanaged by AI, and your control over what the AI does is limited.
* You also cannot design the complex, just expand it according to a preset build plan (add a couple more modules that produce some resources or similar end products as the main module).
* Also its designed for a much smaller scale, and there is not much reason to build anything - no better weapons, or other useful wares to produce, except drones perhaps. Build aspect has no effect on player ship or assets' potential.
* As for trading, there are only manual trade runs, with some improvements: you can select the trade opportunities form a single list (but to populate the list you have to spend hours on smalltalk unless you go modded, satellites have been replaced by this awful minigame), and can que several runs on the same ship.
* Trade runs go pretty slow, if there is a gate or refuel involved a single run can take 20-60+ mins even. Which makes supply lines a bit hectic.
* No CLS/CAG like options to set up trade routes, suppliers and consumers etc. For ex if you have any plans for your own products, you have to hunt the offers of your station from the trade list, and load it to a ship manually every time a trade offer pops up. Same if you want to get all products from an NPC station.
* Also the map is static - stations are indestructible, and there is no spawn/despawning of stations according to usefulness. There is some scripted NPC station construction if you play through the plot though.

Maybe with several mods it could get better, with some you can build a shipyard, and there are some trade scripts now too. But i dont know about current mods that much - maybe someone else can tell if (how) you can pimp the empire building aspect sufficiently with mods.

Paladin-Solo

Post by Paladin-Solo » Sun, 19. Jul 15, 19:33

No, its worth a try when its heavily discounted, but even i couldn't stomach it and got a refund, immediately started up another X3:TC game. Really sad that it sounds like XR is turning into a beta for their next X game with development for it drying up even with so much still broken.

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Mon, 20. Jul 15, 09:24

On discount its definitively worth a try. It is a game quite differenent from x3 but has a steep learning curve as well.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 09:50

Stations are not fully indestructible, production and storage modules can be destroyed affecting trade overall. I would agree the universe is mainly static but that is not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you want out of the game.

On the empire building side, in vanilla this game does not support empires to the scale that X3 and prior did. The main limiting factor is that while space in the game generally feels more expansive it is less diverse than X-Trilogy thus providing less opportunities for empire growth. Universe expansion mods may help with this to a degree but I think we will have to wait at least for the XR sequel (although that is not a given).

Take it as it is and there are at least as many gaming hours in it as there are in many AAA titles I have played. On that basis I would say it is worth it.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 13:32

They are only releasing minor patches for XR, and most development work is going towards the next game. Either wait for the next one or play X3, cause XR is dead and gone.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 13:35

On Steam - and maybe elsewhere (Gamersgate...) - there are special sales on a regular basis, also I have seen XR included in a War Pack box with other X titles at a rather low price, but it was v.2.5, I don't know if this can be updated for free to the latest version, inclusive the DLC Teladi Outpost (which starts with 3.0).

Before you buy it, it's good to inform yourself about update possibilities. You want of course play XR's latest version and have all updates in the future (that's true with any game).

Is it worth from the gameplay?
Again, as I told above, the changelog speaks for itself, actually the game is lagely underrated, a lot of players were deceived with the versions 1.xx. The version 3.53 has *nothing* more to do with 1.xx.

XenonS
Last edited by XenonSurf on Tue, 21. Jul 15, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 13:52

XenonSurf wrote:On Steam - and maybe elsewhere (Gamersgate...) - there are special sales on a regular basis, also I have seen XR included in a War Pack box with other X titles at a rather low price, but it was v.2.5, I don't know if this can be updated for free to the latest version, inclusive the DLC Teladi Outpost (which starts with 3.0).

Before you buy it, it's good to inform yourself about update possibilities. You want of course play XR's latest version and have all updates in the future (that's true with any game).

Is it worth from the gameplay?
Again, as I told above, the changelog speaks for itself, actually the game is lagely underrated by players who were deceived with the versions 1.xx. The version 3.53 has *nothing* more to do with 1.xx.

XenonS
I have to bring up one point....
The game went on a free weekend somewhere around version 3.0 or 3.5, I don't remember which. Either way, it accumulated a TON of negative reviews on steam during it. I don't think it's entirely honest to say that the poor reviews are only because of the release version.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 13:58

yoyolll wrote: I have to bring up one point....
The game went on a free weekend somewhere around version 3.0 or 3.5, I don't remember which. Either way, it accumulated a TON of negative reviews on steam during it. I don't think it's entirely honest to say that the poor reviews are only because of the release version.
I can only speak for myself of course.
I've been playing 3.53 for 2-3 monthes now, I didn't have one crash, I found a solution for all hardware problems (fps...), I have a lot of requests about things to add to the game but this doesn't mean the game is bad.
It's a very complex game and it doesn't play out like other space games because of that, the learning curve is rather high, maybe it's that what annoys some people, and to say the truth: I don't care...

XenonS

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 14:02

Whether you like the game or not is your own opinion. That includes a lot (not all - some are unbiased and objective) of the non-professional critics. I'm just pointing out that if OP is going by reviews, he should be aware that it didn't get a much better reaction during the last free weekend. And he should also know that the game is only receiving minor patches now, since they are developing the sequel.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 14:09

yoyolll wrote:... since they are developing the sequel.
Every game can have a sequel, that's not an argument.
If OP wants to play now, then the sequel is still vapor for him.

XenonS

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 14:13

Rebirth is currently on Greenmangaming for 10USD. I think it is an acceptable price for the game. So if someone wants to try it, grab it there.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 14:25

yoyolll wrote:Whether you like the game or not is your own opinion. That includes a lot (not all - some are unbiased and objective) of the non-professional critics. I'm just pointing out that if OP is going by reviews, he should be aware that it didn't get a much better reaction during the last free weekend. And he should also know that the game is only receiving minor patches now, since they are developing the sequel.
I read through the newest reviews on the free weekend because I could not understand why X:R 3.xx would get so many bad critics. (I expected a huge boost in recommendations)
I came to the conclusion that one half was from people that were still angry from the disastrous release. The other half came from people whose complaint was that its not x3 with better graphics...

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Tue, 21. Jul 15, 16:15

That makes me smile.

Worth it or not, it finally only belong to us to know if we enjoy to be pioneers or not... I do.

The real problem for Ego, imo, is and always were (once the long time took to start a *new* game ended) the learning curve, which is still hi and long. Many disappointment always came from there, whatever opus you choose. And finally, Steam only extrapolates a problem that had always be: those games are too complicated for the mass.
If it wasn't, Ego won't still a little studio after AP.
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”