Rebirth at 75% off on Steam, worth it?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

Rebirth at 75% off on Steam, worth it?

Post by Jimmy C » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 09:24

Rebirth is currently at 75% off on the Steam Summer sale for the next 22 hours.
When the game was first released, I had a feeling I didn't want to pay full price for it. My hunch turned out to be correct.
But now? Is it worth it at 75% off, or should I hold out for 80% in the unknown future? I hope to get some answers in time to choose.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 09:45

@ £8.74 in UK money I would say it was a great bargain ....... with a large and varied selection of mods represent many hrs of enjoyment....

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 09:49

I reckon it is more than worth it at less than £10 for the TO Bundle, the CE upgrade is of questionable worth IMO but at less that £3 it is probably worth it.

In general, I measure the worth/value of games by the number of enjoyable gaming hours against the capital cost of them. On that score, X-Rebirth ranks as highly as the vast majority of games that I actually get some fun out of (even at full price). All games almost without exception have elements that I think could be less buggy or implemented more to my personal liking - No computer game other than the most simple ones are perfect.

As for if YOU personally would find it worth it, that is between you and yours.
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Fri, 12. Jun 15, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Niphredil
xr

Post by Niphredil » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 09:50

I think it's quite a bargain at that price. Grab it!

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 10:14

Have they updated the controls? The last time I tried it, when it had a free weekend, the controls were horrible. Dogfighting was almost impossible with keyboard like I would do in the older games.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 12:13

The controls are much better since release for Joysticks but they've not changed for almost a year, and I don't think kyrd/mouse controls have changed at all have they?

There are quite a few YouTube experiences and review, just take a look at those you should get a good idea of what the core game play is like if you watch a recent one.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 12:59

i'd say that's a fair price.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 15:19

Yes, it's worth it, go for it!

Playbahnosh
x4

Steam Summer Sale: Buy X:Rebirth! (and other X games)

Post by Playbahnosh » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 18:29

Yes, I know, I was one of the most outspoken critics of the inexcusable trainwreck that XR was on release, and no I won't take it back, and I do say it's still not perfect...

BUT!

Let's face it, if we want X4 to happen, the only way it's going to be accomplished if Ego stays in the black. Which means, they need to sell their games. The Steam Summer Sale is just kicking off, which means all the X games are sold at a ridiculous discount (XR is 75% off for example). While I still don't like XR, and probably never will, I still encourage all you fans to buy it, and other X titles, if you haven't done so already. The earlier games are pure gold (IMHO X3TC is the best), and Ego and the modders even managed to patch XR into a playable state. With these discounts on the board, there is really no reason you should't buy them if you like sandbox space sims and wanna support this dev studio. You'll get a ton of awesome games, and Ego gets a healthy dose of dosh they can put towards X4 (hopefully).

It's a win-win.

{Merged with new and pre-existing thread on the same subject. - Nanook}

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 18:38

Of course in the future you can get it cheaper at another sale, but be aware that Egosoft is pretty much adamant with their price point, so this is going back to £34.99 as soon at the sale ends and your next best shoot will be Christmas sales in my opinion, and the difference will be a couple of pounds.

By the way, the Teladi Outpost Bundle or the X Rebirth Collection Edition seem to be the better value for money.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 19:27

In my opinion the best deal is the X3 Terran War Pack .... Terran Conflict is still the stand out Space Sim ... plus the options of Litcubes Universe, X3 Rebalanced Mod and my favourite X Tended Terran Conflict 1.4 .... £ 4.99/ under 7 euros ...... another £ 8.74 and you get the flawed but exceptional Rebirth.

This may be a repeat as my original statement went walkies when Nanook merged topics.

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 19:55

Yes, it's worth it, considering that XR has been improved a lot since version 1.xx. The price is largely underrated...Steam hasn't made its homework apparently...

But...
Unaware of the price, I would not buy any XR version under 3.0+ containing the Teladi Outpost. To know why, suffice to read the game's changelog.
This also applies to the X3 pack which I saw in Germany and shipped with XR 2.0, except if I could update XR for free to v. 3.53 (latest version with the Teladi Outpost).

XenonS

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 12. Jun 15, 20:19

Yes. And if X3 games are on sale you might want to gett them too ;) They are much better than XR in my opinion; )
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

JimmiG
x3

Post by JimmiG » Thu, 18. Jun 15, 23:05

Is this game still being actively developed though? Seems it was last updated months ago and now there's talk of X4?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 18. Jun 15, 23:29

it is. the Devs said there will be another Patch soon, but thats all the details currently known.

also the talk about X4 is mostly from the community, the devs just hinted that the development of XR will go in the direction of X4/X3, but no specifics of wheter it will be a via patches, dlc or a new title yet
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 19. Jun 15, 09:28

As Bones would say in Star Trek .... Jim, you cannot expect to put a fancy new saddle on a three legged horse and expect it to win more prize money ... need a four legged horse....

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Fri, 19. Jun 15, 20:35

UniTrader wrote:it is. the Devs said there will be another Patch soon, but thats all the details currently known.

also the talk about X4 is mostly from the community, the devs just hinted that the development of XR will go in the direction of X4/X3, but no specifics of wheter it will be a via patches, dlc or a new title yet
That's kind of misleading. The devs said that most things being developed from now on will be for the sequel, but additional patches or DLC for XR are not "ruled out".

IMO, this game is dead. Wasn't ever alive. Pick up the X3 pack, they're sooo much better.

EDIT: Sources:
CBJ wrote:Our main development focus at the moment is on adding new features to the game engine. The result of a lot of this work is likely to find its way into a new game rather than an update to XR, but that by no means rules out further updates to XR nor future DLC for it.
From this thread: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6&start=10

Also the end of this interview with Bernd from March:
http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-30/explori ... rnd-lehahn
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 20. Jun 15, 07:26

I can't believe I did it, but $16.99 for the bundle and a Linux version I just could not pass. I just hope it is not as terrible as the people say :)

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 20. Jun 15, 13:16

kurush wrote:I can't believe I did it, but $16.99 for the bundle and a Linux version I just could not pass. I just hope it is not as terrible as the people say :)
Good luck :D
Curious how you cope with it..

Greetings from my 131 m/s Kyoto :)

rugershooter
x3tc

Post by rugershooter » Sat, 20. Jun 15, 19:33

I think after reading these comments I will not waste £11 buying the game :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”