The good in XR

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

The good in XR

Post by pref » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 12:28

So as i understood next title will not be X4, but something that keeps the good aspects of XR, while making the game a bit more X3 like, or something like that.
I know ES cannot talk about the next game because of policies, but
I'd be curious to hear the good aspects of XR (apart from graphics obviously), that will be taken over to the next title - maybe they can drop some info regarding that.

Hope they will make it more obvious then with XR. Getting all the info from hyped ads was not the best method it seems.
Satisfying old fans while keeping XR fans (whoever those are) does not seem too realistic at this point.
Anyway as i see the XR people are mainly those that overplayed X3 so much that even XR is fine, just let them have a new space-eco sim experience already.

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 13:08

It has proper sized fonts compared to previous title's tiny few pixel width fonts.

Visiting stations is unique, but it could be easily much more... feels half finished.

Boarding was nice, but it got messed up with the idea i need to destroy cargo drones to get them captured :/ Last time i captured anything was in 2.x.

After playing ED the sound effects in X:RB sound rather poor. If we are forced into single ship experience, the controls of your ship should be super nice. Again, check ED as reference for future games.

Not much I'm afraid, as trade and station building gets tedious fast and there is no point to build an army either due to not being able to conquer.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 14:50

For me, X Rebirth vastly improved the heart of the series. The core, the very basic thing, which was completly forgotten after X2:

Immersion.
Cockpit, with UI integrated into it.
Drones and realistic visuals (drones transporting wares, collecting things, you can see station production modules producing wares, or even fly there and watch the drones work).
Even the animations of leaving/entering cockpit, activating VR, activating the ship computer.
Capital ship modules.
Employees instead of command lists.
Walking around ship and interiors (more immersion).
Massive stations with upgrades, and improved economy (massive stock limits, different types of wares, better manufacturing net).
Manual travelling (point & boost, avoid nebulas/'roids/stations)
Docking at capships, commanding from there
Unified trade menu - a few simple clicks for giving trade orders.
Squad setup - put fighters in your squad, they automatically do everything, you just mark targets and modules to shoot for them.
Fuel - I don't know about other players, but refuelling is much easier for me in Rebirth.
Claiming empty zones, and naming them.

No collision damage and improved AI:
You can't imagine how paranoid I've become throughout the 10+ years of playing the X-series. Removal of collision damage finally made the game relaxing for me.
Plus, the AI of fighters is simply brutal. They are very agressive and focus fire on target. It's very satisfying to command a squad of fighters.

Easy replenishing of fighters/drones.
No need to produce anything, no need to browse millions of menus, no need to fly around universe, gathering weapons and shields.
You just buy completed fighters or drones and voilá.

Extremly easy automatisation: observe market and build a station at proper location, set manager's range, budget and restrictions properly, and just throw freighters/miners at him. Done.

Engineers repairing capship hulls and modules up to 90% (finally I can command capships, without being scared of retarded AI getting hull damage in combat).

Much more customisation. Want a speedy scout? Sidewinder engines and pulsed maser with Dashing shields.
Want a bulky tank? Heavy Laser, Behemoth shields and equealised engines.
Want to try something special? The Pulsed Maser Mk3 is very unique.
Want the EUIV's deadly combo? Combine dashing shields with supercharged engines, and use Particle accelerator to bring down shield and the Inertial hammer to crush down the hulls.
Also, rare upgrades that can only be unlocked through special missions and collecting of artifacts.

Very simple and visually pleasant UI. I hopped in the game, I knew everything I needed without any tutorial. The UI is simple, buttons and options are logically placed at locations where I'd search for them, and the dark blue/light yellow colour combo is beautiful. Plus, it's everything inside a cockpit terminal.

Piracy is finally a thing.
Especially with the Teladi Outpost DLC, which allows you to do freelance work for pirates.
There's hacking, spionage, improved boarding, inventory item smuggling & big ware smuggling, stealing of stuff.

Iam pretty sure that Egosoft is reading those forums. So, if you are reading this fellas, just keep those points, stay with things that made X Rebirth so great.
Add some optimalisation magic so X4 runs better than XR did, and I'll be happy.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 17:33

I think Earth Ultimatum IV. has made a good summarize about what's the good in XR, specialling the bumping damage! good riddance.

I'd like to add I enjoy the constant sci-fi winks all over the game and the attention they made to detail in small ships and moving parts (use F3 to watch small fighters, some are amazing), etc.

Except for piracy for which I disagree because I still find it quite empty and meaningless due to I don't see any faction have any kind of role or relevance to make an effect in the game or for me. Egosoft has improved Rebirth for missions a lot in this aspect but needs to work A LOT in the inmersion of the game.

--

How many times I've mentioned the need for:

* Traps from pirates in certain points, you see something in the distance, go to explore.. "Trap! or.. Treasure!.
* Elements like derelicts, abanadoned machinery, alien tech.
* Pirates and Xenon with a real agenda, etc.

See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyNhS_lxuFk
After working for the exploratory service to scout several sectors, found an abandoned and destroyed Stektek mothership in an uncharted sector. I landed in the derelict and there was a steltek fighter in there with a gun attached to it, grabbed it and attached it to my ship (all with that music in the back).

After leaving a Steltek drone chase me to destroy my ship and the gun in it, which was the most thrilling moment I ever had in a space game.

I'd really like Rebirth or X4 or whatever to have stuff like this, story, background, action.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 18:11

IMHO the only good parts are Cockpit, Engine and Graphics. For everything else I would prefer X3 on steroids then anything from Rebirth.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 19:27

Graaf wrote:IMHO the only good parts are Cockpit, Engine and Graphics. For everything else I would prefer X3 on steroids then anything from Rebirth.

Building a mining colony on an Asteroid with an inexhaustible supply of Mineral Deposits?

No-Tah!
ezra-r wrote:I think Earth Ultimatum IV. has made a good summarize about what's the good in XR, specialling the bumping damage! good riddance.

I'd like to add I enjoy the constant sci-fi winks all over the game and the attention they made to detail in small ships and moving parts (use F3 to watch small fighters, some are amazing), etc.

Except for piracy for which I disagree because I still find it quite empty and meaningless due to I don't see any faction have any kind of role or relevance to make an effect in the game or for me. Egosoft has improved Rebirth for missions a lot in this aspect but needs to work A LOT in the inmersion of the game.

--

How many times I've mentioned the need for:

* Traps from pirates in certain points, you see something in the distance, go to explore.. "Trap! or.. Treasure!.
* Elements like derelicts, abanadoned machinery, alien tech.
* Pirates and Xenon with a real agenda, etc.

See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyNhS_lxuFk
After working for the exploratory service to scout several sectors, found an abandoned and destroyed Stektek mothership in an uncharted sector. I landed in the derelict and there was a steltek fighter in there with a gun attached to it, grabbed it and attached it to my ship (all with that music in the back).

After leaving a Steltek drone chase me to destroy my ship and the gun in it, which was the most thrilling moment I ever had in a space game.

I'd really like Rebirth or X4 or whatever to have stuff like this, story, background, action.

I'd like to see Large Xenon ships that can mine minerals and turn the minerals into Xenon Fighters, when they've made a large enough number of them they send those fighters through the jump gate to Omicron Lyrae to attack Factories (So it doesn't make too many, a resource sink)
Plus it would be awesome to see Xenon do that, acting like a self-replicating virus as it should be.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 19:47

Your signature = EPIC
spankahontis wrote:Smart enough not to troll a Game forum about a Game I don't own, claiming I'm an expert in the matter.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 19:51

Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Your signature = EPIC
spankahontis wrote:Smart enough not to troll a Game forum about a Game I don't own, claiming I'm an expert in the matter.
That's just cheating, lol
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 20:56

spankahontis wrote:
Graaf wrote:IMHO the only good parts are Cockpit, Engine and Graphics. For everything else I would prefer X3 on steroids then anything from Rebirth.
Building a mining colony on an Asteroid with an inexhaustible supply of Mineral Deposits?

No-Tah!
So? Lets make it exhaustible then. But I don't see a problem with it. Its just like respawning rocks.

spankahontis wrote:
Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Your signature = EPIC
That's just cheating, lol
I never said I was an expert, but it is flattering you all think I am. Thank you.

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 21:08

i like to think X rebirth as more of a foundation for this new series.

just see how X3 reunion was. and how much it improved with terran conflict.

i believe this next game will vastly improve on all the best features. and removes the ones that causes headaches.

i look forward to this..
i braced my self for the disapointment of X rebirth... altho i admit it was a little overwhelming on first release. but now its sooo much better and with mods it really fun to play.
but i will be expecting a much better gameplay experiance with the new X game. egosoft should now have everything they need knowledge wise to make a better game.

i also hope they allow us to actually modify our ships in our own ways....

and each major faction will have its own set of weaponry, and they can or maybe able to be mioxed with other ships of diffrent factions.

allowing us to have a more unique set up,

and perhapes to avoid possibilitys of unbalancing the game... perhapes something similar to eve online where you have power grid, and CPU capacity, limit to how much firepower and how many sub systems we can add... maybe....
Assailer wrote: Boarding was nice, but it got messed up with the idea i need to destroy cargo drones to get them captured :/ Last time i captured anything was in 2.x.
ok seriosly? before they implemented that feature... just capturing a rahanas made you waaaay to much money.... becuase of all the drones they have

i think boiarding is fine as it is... maybe still a bit tooo lucrative... but not a changce in hell they should do that.....
Last edited by Nick 031287 on Tue, 9. Jun 15, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 21:10

I'd rather be for mines that you drop on an asteroid, and then they work like normal factories.
But it has to be improved, to a certain degree... Not just searching for the roid with best yield, but also, maybe, sending out drones to prepare the rock? Dragging other asteroids nearby to create some larger mass, so it's worthy to build a mine?

Maybe with the new addition, liquid resources, we can have plasma/ion/anti-matter mines? I'd definitely build one of those.

Well, there actually is a station that is built on asteroid, and it mines Ore, also another one that mines Ice. There's even a station that mines Hydrogen. But you can't build those.

But it's great that mining is finally a real part of economy. And mining in general was greatly overhauled. I forgot to mention that above.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 21:25

Nick 031287 wrote:i also hope they allow us to actually modify our ships in our own ways....

and each major faction will have its own set of weaponry, and they can or maybe able to be mioxed with other ships of diffrent factions.

allowing us to have a more unique set up,
well, in theory it is already possible, but very cumbersome to implement via mod. Also it does not work properly (dynamically attached turrets dont do any damage in out of sight-compat, because they are not included in the DPS value; Shield Gens offer the total capacitiy and recharge rate of the Ship per Shield Gen - thats for the obvious ones, didnt dig into this further) - the intent is definietly there imo
Nick 031287 wrote:and perhapes to avoid possibilitys of unbalancing the game... perhapes something similar to eve online where you have power grid, and CPU capacity, limit to how much firepower and how many sub systems we can add... maybe....
my approach would have been to give each ship a power generator which defines (next to available slots) the max loadout, but since a blancing everyone agrees to can never be achived my plan was not to balance, but to un-balance and counter-balance through technological progress (meaning that Ships and Components get stronger over time, and some may be unbalanced for a given period until proper counter-measures are developed and other systems gain the upper hand)
for clarification: i am not refering to a tech tree here since at some point you will reach its end, but that the strength of diffrent systems increases at variing rates - Systems killed off rapidly will evolve fast, Systems which stay alive a long time will stagnate in their strength, but no new systems will be added (this may also be included, but as element for more variation and to make the learning curve less steep, not for balance purposes). Also the Status of the Tech at Build/Creation/Upgrade time is relevant, not the current global strength of it - so you have to keep your fleet upgraded or it will be easily destroyed in the long run.

just noticed i talked too long about my personal vision about this, but it would be a waste to delete it... so [Submit]!
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 22:34

Graaf wrote:
spankahontis wrote:

No-Tah!
So? Lets make it exhaustible then. But I don't see a problem with it. Its just like respawning rocks.
uhmmm you are aware that this game doesnt need to do that now, it makes sense to have mining ships and then haul them back to a refinary to be processed lol

and it is technicly inexhaustible. the rocks do respawn i believe. its very efficient this way i think.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 22:49

Nick 031287 wrote:...
and it is technicly inexhaustible. the rocks do respawn i believe. its very efficient this way i think.
Which is different from inexhaustible mines how? :?
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 9. Jun 15, 23:09

Nick 031287 wrote:and it is technicly inexhaustible. the rocks do respawn i believe. its very efficient this way i think.
well, the rocks themselves are not persistent anyway.. it works a bit diffrent:
each Field has an amount of total ressources it can hold (the yield you see in the Map), and a time over which it will completely regenerate - if you mine ressources faster than that they will eventually deplete. but its not the amount of total ressources which is limited, since they still regenerate. what it limited is the total output of each field (though this limit is pretty high - i doubt you can use it in regular gameplay..)

note that i did some simplification here - the "Asteroid Formula" includes far more than this.. took me a while to figure out.. and i still think im missing a few factors (got about a dozen of them)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 00:06

Nanook wrote:Which is different from inexhaustible mines how? :?
One is fire and forget and the other has to be (macro) managed, given yes its basically inexhaustible but not at the same location, what he meant is "there is so much placed over several areas that you have a hard time mining them all". The XR mining is much more interesting then any previous X games, and not just that there are more and varied resources.

MFG

Ketraar

Varek Raith
xr

Post by Varek Raith » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 01:39

Any good in XR was completely blown away by the bad.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 02:05

Ketraar wrote:
Nanook wrote:Which is different from inexhaustible mines how? :?
One is fire and forget and the other has to be (macro) managed, given yes its basically inexhaustible but not at the same location, what he meant is "there is so much placed over several areas that you have a hard time mining them all". The XR mining is much more interesting then any previous X games, and not just that there are more and varied resources.

MFG

Ketraar
I don't find it that much more interesting, other than the fact you use drones to collect rocks rather than small mining freighters as in past games (which had to managed, too). Rocks in AP were exhaustible, same as Rebirth. And there actually had to be rocks present where the miners were, unlike in Rebirth where if you were in the zone, miners wouldn't mine without nearby rocks, but if you left the zone, they'd mine all those invisible rocks. I suppose that could be called more 'interesting'. :P

And asteroid mines were just another choice the player had, which doesn't exist in Rebirth. Well strictly speaking, they do exist, but only a few for the NPC's, it seems. Ever hear of 'Exhaustless Mines'? :wink: And 'fire and forget' is a bit misleading. They were still subject to enemy attack, as were the freighters that brought energy cells and took away the minerals. I personally don't see the big difference.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

AdánPasos

Post by AdánPasos » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 07:17

The other day I had this magical moment while playing Rebirth. I had a ship unloading cargo, while I was observing it while approaching with the skunk. I was listening to immersive Trance music in the background...

...and I remembered how ugly were stations in previous series (so tiny).

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 10. Jun 15, 12:07

Seems like the same list would have been generated if the thread was phrased as a hate thread (bad in XR or something) - apart from the visual details.

Like how EU mentioned employees instead of UI, station walking, squad mechanic, new way of refuel, way/level of automatization or any of the major changes - these were recurring items from criticizing threads since day one.

There are such a few overlaps - maybe modular objects, or claiming of zones that got good reception from all sides.

I really have no clue how an XR/X4 fusion can happen :(
I mean what can be the concept behind it - the interests seem to be the exact opposite.

Again, excluding graphics, visual detail (like drones and so on) as these are a result of the new engine i assume that will be carried over to the next title either way.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”