Back after 5 years

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MOCO
x4

Back after 5 years

Post by MOCO » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 12:25

Hi

I am back on this forum after an absence of 5 years! :? It must be a couple of years since I last played an X game (Albion Prelude). Just brought Rebirth on Steam and, wow! it's a lot different.

Beautiful graphics, smooth game play and huge maps, but boy is it different when it comes to controls. I just can't get my head around it at the moment, and the manual is vary poor indeed.

The highways thing is confusing me at the moment but I guess I'll soon get the hang of it. Just trying to work out how to dock; there seems to be no targeting available like in AP where you could press "T" to target a station, press "C" to communicate and ask for permission to dock.

Oh well, I'll keep persevering. :)

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 12:38

Welcome back!

Here is a recent post where the docking procedure was explained; http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=378397

To exit a Highway, simply press 'Backspace' or alternatively 'Z' + A Strafe direction (W,A,S,D).

If you get stuck with anything else, feel free to ask and we will try to help you as best we can.
Last edited by Lander1979 on Sat, 21. Mar 15, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 12:39

Welcome back :)

Highway tips:
If using mouse flight, press space as soon as you enter to make positioning simpler, with just the strafe controls. Being near the top helps avoid traffic. Press escape to leave highway quickly.

Docking tips:
We don't need to ask for permission exactly now. In Rebirth we simply left-click on a docking port icons (several different designs representing the interior such as cocktail glass for bar, reanch (IIRC) for engineering) within 500m and press shift+D. Yisha then asks for permission while you walk out the cockpit (such animations are skippable with escape if in a rush).

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 12:47

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: Press escape to leave highway quickly...
I think Sparky may mean 'Backspace', as I'm pretty sure pressing 'Esc' will just open the Game's Main Menu.
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 12:53

I think you are right :o

Thanks!

Leafcutter
x4

Post by Leafcutter » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 15:05

Welcome back mate.

-LC-
Always expect the unexpected, and you will never be surprised.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 16:13

Welcome back OP!
Editing posts since long before I remember.

MOCO
x4

Post by MOCO » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 16:50

Thanks for the welcome back everybody.

I'm currently watching a few tutorials for Rebirth on YouTube. Vary helpful they are. :)

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 16:59

Welcome back to X! And check this out too, it may answer some of your initial questions :)

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=378360

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 19:02

Same here. Haven't posted much but I lurked a fair bit in the TC days.

Loving Rebirth right now, it's more like BTF which I was rather partial to. That free weekend sucked me in, I couldn't not buy it after having a taste.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 19:12

Targeting:
clicking at the target
SHIFT+E for nearest enemy
(most useful ones)

MOCO
x4

Post by MOCO » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 18:02

Hi

Thank you to everybody who has welcomed me back and helped me so far. I am really get the hang of this game no - and loving it!

I have a few quick questions if I may please.

1. If I ask somebody the way to somewhere/something/somebody I get a little orange box up on my screen that says, for example, "Dock at ...", and a little orange indicator on my directional display thing. How do I get rid of that box and direction thing if I have changed my mind about locating the thing/place/person I asked for?

2. Whenever I ask an engineer to do something for my ship (Albion Skunk), my ship never shows up in my list of ships. Do I need to be in a shipyard to upgrade a component of my Skunk?

3. I want to purchase and install some trading software, but not sure how to do it. Do I look for a spanner icon? I'm not asking where I can find such software as I'd rather find it for myself, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right sort of thing to find one.

Thank you,.

Jaxartes
x4

Post by Jaxartes » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 18:10

1. It acts like a normal mission, you can cancel it there.
2/3 you need an mechanic, not an engineer to upgrade the skunk.

MOCO
x4

Post by MOCO » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 18:14

Jaxartes wrote:1. It acts like a normal mission, you can cancel it there.
2/3 you need an mechanic, not an engineer to upgrade the skunk.
Sorry, yes I meant Mechanic >.<

So I can't cancel the mission en-route? I have to go there and then cancel?

Thank you.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 18:19

Yeah, as long as you are face-to-face with the mechanic, you should be able to upgrade anything on the Skunk.

By "you can cancel it there", I think Jaxartes means within your Mission list in the sidebar menu. Open the travel mission created for the destination and under one of the 4 options, there is another page of options including cancel. This can be done at any time.

MOCO
x4

Post by MOCO » Sun, 22. Mar 15, 18:20

Awesome. Thank you. :)

shahman76
x4

Post by shahman76 » Tue, 24. Mar 15, 08:41

MOCO wrote:Hi

Thank you to everybody who has welcomed me back and helped me so far. I am really get the hang of this game no - and loving it!

I have a few quick questions if I may please.

1. If I ask somebody the way to somewhere/something/somebody I get a little orange box up on my screen that says, for example, "Dock at ...", and a little orange indicator on my directional display thing. How do I get rid of that box and direction thing if I have changed my mind about locating the thing/place/person I asked for?

2. Whenever I ask an engineer to do something for my ship (Albion Skunk), my ship never shows up in my list of ships. Do I need to be in a shipyard to upgrade a component of my Skunk?

3. I want to purchase and install some trading software, but not sure how to do it. Do I look for a spanner icon? I'm not asking where I can find such software as I'd rather find it for myself, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right sort of thing to find one.

Thank you,.
Hi there. To respond specifically

1. That orange highlight is either your mission guidance or a navigation waypoint that you made. Go to your missions, 'enter, 3, 1' find your mission, then click on the guidance button. That should do the trick. If guidance waypoint then you need to go back to your map, back to the same waypoint you made and the disable option will automatically appear.

2. Engineers in stations will only repair your hull. You dont need to be in a shipyard for that. For any other skunk upgrades, you need to find yourself a mechanic.

3. The mechanic is your man/woman/alien of indeterminate gender and poor grammar for this one. Correct me if I'm wrong but if memory serves the command is 'enter, 5, then go to ship services' that should open up a list of mechanics in a zone if any. select one of choice and plot course. Follow the orange!

Enjoy

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”