The great X Rebirth video competition

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 13. Mar 15, 09:52

*Update: Competition closed now*

And the Winner is:

Aken_Bosch with his entry X Rebirth - Waking Up

The competition is closed now. No new submissions will be accepted. The list of all entries is as follows (in order of submission):
*Update: Competition closed now*

Show us how you influence the X-Universe!

Today we're happy to announce the great X Rebirth video competition. The aim of this competition is to find out who can make the best video of X Rebirth following the main theme of showing us how you influence the X-Universe! Whether you want to tell a story, show a big battle between capital ships or illustrate the competition between the different factions and corporations is totally up to you. A jury, consisting of the X Rebirth developers, will evaluate the videos and choose the best ones.

Of course, this competition is not only about finding out who's the best, but also about winning great prizes! The grand prize will be the immortalization of the winner's name* in X Rebirth. It is still to be decided exactly how this will be done, but it may be within the texture of an asset or within the description or name of an in-game object, for example. We're of course happy to get some input about this from the winner too. In addition, the winner will also receive an X Rebirth poster signed by the Egosoft staff and will be able to choose one of the other prizes.

Among the other prizes are:
  • Steam keys for Kerbal Space Program
  • Steam keys for Faster Than Light
  • Steam keys for J.U.L.I.A. among the stars
  • Steam keys for Endless Space
  • Star Trek - Voyager 1: Heimkehr (book, German)
  • Star Trek - Typhon Pact 1: Nullsummenspiel (book, German)
(*The displayed name must be appropriate within the game's style and PEGI rating!)

Rules:
  • Each participant can upload only one video.
  • The video shouldn't be longer than 5 minutes.
  • The video has to be uploaded to YouTube and the link must be posted in the public forum (For more info about that, see the info below)
  • Egosoft staff and their dependents are excluded from the participation.
  • Any recourse to courts of law is excluded.
  • The closing date of the competition is Sunday, the 26th April 2015 (at 23:59 GMT+2).
Submission:
Once you have created and uploaded your video to YouTube, post the link to your video in this topic and mark your post by inserting the title XR video competition#[your username] (replace [your username] with your actual nickname in the egosoft.com forum).

The deadline for the competition, when all videos have to be submitted, is Sunday, the 26th April 2015 (at 23:59 GMT+2).

We wish you a lot of fun with creating the videos!
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Fri, 8. May 15, 18:42, edited 4 times in total.

Elkestra
x4

Post by Elkestra » Sat, 14. Mar 15, 04:13

Intrguing prizes, and worthy of entering the competition, but... what is with the 6th and 7th prizes (the books) being in German? do you believe that non-Germans won't enter? or perhaps that that won't get that low in the rankings?

Honestly, if you are offering books as prizes, you ought to at least cover English as well as German, even if delivery takes a little longer.

Yours,

Ann-Marie

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 14. Mar 15, 09:32

Elkestra wrote:do you believe that non-Germans won't enter? or perhaps that that won't get that low in the rankings?
Neither of those. We expect that people from different countries enter the competition. Just as there are prizes which are less appealing to non-German speakers, there are other prizes which are less appealing to non-English speakers. We will make sure that these prizes are distributed accordingly.
In addition, if you read the prize list again, you will notice that these prizes are actually not numbered. So the books are not the 6th and 7th prizes. How the prizes will be distributed will be decided when the competition is over and when the videos are evaluated.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 14. Mar 15, 10:47

Is this the "video competition announcement topic"?
Just asking because you wrote that instead of just "post your video in this topic"...

I guess graphic quality is also going to have an impact on the jury? Lets see what I can do with my Computer :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 14. Mar 15, 11:48

Tamina wrote:Is this the "video competition announcement topic"?
Yes, it is. You're correct the phrase was a bit redundant. I changed it.
Tamina wrote:I guess graphic quality is also going to have an impact on the jury?
We know that not everyone can play the game on highest settings. Creativity is also very important. Just like it is in Hollywood, it's not always the ones with the biggest budget that make the best movies. ;)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 14. Mar 15, 12:05

What about commentary? The competitors should include some commentary, I believe?
Iam afraid of hearing my own voice in a video. It's terribly creepy.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

XR video competition#Tamina

Post by Tamina » Sat, 14. Mar 15, 22:08

https://youtu.be/P_8Zl4y-ZX4

Look no further, first entry, first winner.
I could have posted it as last one but I wanted to save your time. :P

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Re: XR video competition#Tamina

Post by Santi » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 03:06

Tamina wrote:https://youtu.be/P_8Zl4y-ZX4

I could have posted it as last one but I wanted to save your time. :P
An awesome video Tamina, thanks for sharing it.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 08:58

Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:What about commentary? The competitors should include some commentary, I believe?
Iam afraid of hearing my own voice in a video. It's terribly creepy.
What kind of commentary do you think of? If you want to talk in your videos and are afraid that people don't understand you, I would suggest to use subtitles / captions instead. There actually shouldn't be any other resources provided than the video.
Tamina wrote:https://youtu.be/P_8Zl4y-ZX4

Thanks for getting things started. ;)

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 17:26

X2-Illuminatus wrote:What kind of commentary do you think of? If you want to talk in your videos and are afraid that people don't understand you, I would suggest to use subtitles / captions instead. There actually shouldn't be any other resources provided than the video.
Tamina's video doesn't have any commentary, so I guess no commentary is needed.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 10:03

No commentary needed, excellent vid ... almost felt sorry for the I. This competition should be more widely advertised on site... Big thumbs up for being the first entry.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 22:12

Agree, I think it should be advertised also in the main X Rebirth section for better visibility...that said, just let me take the time to learn how to edit and create clips...I'm still at the "how to record a decent video without watermarks and such" stage :roll:

@Tamina - really nice fight, my condolences for your losses :P...

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Mar 15, 17:54

XR video competition Earth Ultimatum IV. or Scimitar101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM930k7XM7U

Video quality is crap though. Was forced to use Windows movie maker :)
I'll try to re-work it, if it goes well I will replace the link.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 29. Mar 15, 23:20

I'de love to enter this, i've made a few vids in my time. But first i'de like to know if there is a way to remove the hud? Like when you press the numpad keys and look around your cockpit, all the hud disappears. Also, is there a way to change FOV? Cheers

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 2. Apr 15, 18:12

You can turn off / "hide" the cockpit elements. To do so, assign a key to the "Toggle Cockpit" option in the Game Settings under Controls -> Space -> Expert Options. I don't think there's an ingame way of increasing the FOV, but there was a mod made shortly after release of XR. I cannot tell you, if it still works though.
Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Was forced to use Windows movie maker
If you don't like Windows Movie Maker, you could also have a look at the VSDC Free Video Editor and Lightworks. Especially the latter is quite complex, so you might need some time to get used to it. Both programs are available for free.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 3. Apr 15, 19:32

Thanks for the reply, thats not exactly what I meant though. The thing I want to hide is the hud, like the target reticules and the circle in the center of the screen. Pressing the numberpad keys and looking around the cockpit removes them briefly, but I'de like the turn them off completely to take the video.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 5. Apr 15, 18:33

I see. In external view there are no hud elements. So that would be an option. Apart from that, I don't know if it's possible to turn off the HUD elements.

DaveDee
x4

Post by DaveDee » Tue, 7. Apr 15, 17:42

How about mods?
There are two different categories:
- Visual mods, like better textures, effects, modded npcs.
- Gameplay mods. For example, awesome ship bridge, modded ships, global war mod...

Solideven

XR video competition#Solideven

Post by Solideven » Wed, 8. Apr 15, 00:11

"Press F1 to return to Cockpit View": http://youtu.be/8-ulbVJpfCM

I went over the time limit, but this game is just too beautiful! It perfectly fits Hans Zimmer's sountrack from the Interstellar movie. Hope you enjoy!

BlueSabor
x4

Post by BlueSabor » Sun, 12. Apr 15, 19:08

X Rebirth video competition. BlueSabor

https://youtu.be/1KZnccHsPG4

My entry "Ice" :)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
Corsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
LG TV OLED55C141B (3840x2160@120Hz)