Worth another look?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shads62

Worth another look?

Post by Shads62 » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 14:18

Hi,

I'm an x series vet and like many others was desperately disappointed by X Rebirth. I was just wondering if its and better now? To be honest it will never be the X game we were hoping for but I hate having a very expensive game in my steam account that isn't even loaded into my library any more.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 14:27

Release 3.50 is probably just around the corner. It is definitely better, has improved modding support and hopefully it is something you might enjoy too.

Personally, I think that as well as having added various functions along the way, I think they have finally fixed Rebirth. After 3.50, it looks like Devs will be working on a patch for TC/AP so I think Egosoft probably feel Rebirth is largely fixed too.

Shads62

Post by Shads62 » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 14:41

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:Release 3.50 is probably just around the corner. It is definitely better, has improved modding support and hopefully it is something you might enjoy too.

Personally, I think that as well as having added various functions along the way, I think they have finally fixed Rebirth. After 3.50, it looks like Devs will be working on a patch for TC/AP so I think Egosoft probably feel Rebirth is largely fixed too.
I think more likely that they have realised its beyond saving. Sad part is that even if they did manage to make it into a great game no one would be playing it. Just look at the steam figures. Fixing the code so that it works is one thing. But the problems were not the bugs for most people it was the design decisions that cant be changed.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 15:05

@ Shads62 ... Cannot argue with your comments regarding design decisions but it is a far greater experience than at release..
With the right selection of mods easily available in Steam Workshop some of those design decisions are circumvented, the game now is well worth trying.
What have you got lose ....

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 16:06

To answer your question, yes, it most definitely IS worth playing now. With patch 3.50 even more so, so either get the Beta Build, or wait for that patch to hit live.

They fixed almost all of the serious issues I can remember from launch, and there have also been numerous and significant quality of life changes (for example in 3.50 you can press V to vacuum up all the loot containers nearby!).

There is a new menu system more akin to X3, trading works, stations work, building stuff works, capital ships work, capping and building fighters works, drones work. You name it, they probably re-did it and fixed the issues.

I would thoroughly recommend installing the Capital Ship Bridge mod from the workshop as a must-have as it also enhances the game so much.

Get back into it, and you will not regret it! I held off playing until just a few months ago since I too was stung by the release, but now it has even overtaken X3 in my personal preferences.

You say "It will never be the x game we were hoping for" well I think you are wrong. This is the best one yet, and there are only better things to come. Check out all the beta changes for even more of an idea how much new stuff gets added constantly!

DiArmada
x3tc

Re: Worth another look?

Post by DiArmada » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 16:15

Shads62 wrote:it will never be the X game we were hoping for.
it may seem that way because people compare it with the follow up of X3 TC/AP.
to me it still feels like XBTF part two.
if you compare those two you'll see a lot of similarities.
then if you remember how X2 and X3 were improvements over XBTF, then I have good faith for future X games.
if Rebirth is considered XBTF 2, then how great would the future titles be?
I guess pretty awesome.
Last edited by DiArmada on Mon, 9. Mar 15, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 16:16

I started playing a few month ago and like the game very much.
But I have to admit that there still could be done much more.

I recommend to give X:RB another try (and don't forget to install the mods of your liking)

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 18:42

This game shits all over x3/ap now. It's way better.

You just need to drop your mindset of "I'm going to play it just like I always play X" right now. The game is different. You can't just buy universal traders and easy-mode your way to a capship. You're going to have to actually think.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 18:57

jkflipflop98 wrote:This game shits all over x3/ap now. It's way better.

You just need to drop your mindset of "I'm going to play it just like I always play X" right now. The game is different. You can't just buy universal traders and easy-mode your way to a capship. You're going to have to actually think.
Exactly right :)

InDigital
x4

Post by InDigital » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 20:10

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 21:30

InDigital wrote:It is not "Fixed"

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=378158
Whilst I wouldn't be surprised if a new bug turned up, a visual bug on a station you say is workING doesn't seem like the end of the world.

To give it a chance of being fixed, you need to say what version of the game you are playing. On Friday you said you were playing 3.20 and in the current beta has had a fix for NPC station construction since at least Wednesday so it might have even been fixed.

You could help Egosoft by trying your save in the beta and telling them what happens with your station.
Last edited by Sparky Sparkycorp on Tue, 10. Mar 15, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 22:01

Shads62 wrote: I think more likely that they have realised its beyond saving. Sad part is that even if they did manage to make it into a great game no one would be playing it. Just look at the steam figures. Fixing the code so that it works is one thing. But the problems were not the bugs for most people it was the design decisions that cant be changed.
So why exactly did you ask if its worth another look, if you have already made up your mind?
I felt like you on launch, put the game aside, came back a year later and apart from some very minor problems which we can overlook, because no game is perfect, the game runs smoothly and is being constantly patched/enhanced.
Not to mention the awesome job in the mod section that will sky rocket your gaming experience.
So who cares about steam figures?

shahman76
x4

Post by shahman76 » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 06:14

Araknis wrote:
Shads62 wrote: I think more likely that they have realised its beyond saving. Sad part is that even if they did manage to make it into a great game no one would be playing it. Just look at the steam figures. Fixing the code so that it works is one thing. But the problems were not the bugs for most people it was the design decisions that cant be changed.
So why exactly did you ask if its worth another look, if you have already made up your mind?
I felt like you on launch, put the game aside, came back a year later and apart from some very minor problems which we can overlook, because no game is perfect, the game runs smoothly and is being constantly patched/enhanced.
Not to mention the awesome job in the mod section that will sky rocket your gaming experience.
So who cares about steam figures?
Agreed. This game is worth it. Consider that after the bitter disappointment of the launch, the game improved so much and came so far since that I plonked down the cash for the Teladi Union expansion when I returned to the game. And have not regretted it. Though I dont have a single Teladi ship in my fleet...dont know why actually :?

To be honest; part of the fun of this game for me is in the gameplay and the another, equally large part of fun, is installing and trying out various mods :roll: to the point where sometimes I break my save game :lol:

One thing though - I recommend that when you go into Rebirth, forget the previous X games. Rebirth is an entirely different animal altogether; its name itself provides the clue. So walk into Rebirth not thinking about X and enjoy the experience, as I did.

bm01
x4

Post by bm01 » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 06:57

It's an enjoyable game, far from being perfect and frustrating occasionally (backup your saves), but apparently I've already 484 hours on it (though a good proportion of that is mod testing, debugging...). Also, it'll get even better, I know that's what we say since the release version (which was terrible), but it's been almost one year and a half and they're still working on it (and not only bug fixings). I don't know any other company who can afford that.

Kaldo
x3tc

Post by Kaldo » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 17:01

I haven't been very active here recently and I'm not completely up-to date with the game but here's my $0.02... The reason I pretty much stopped playing after ~100 hours is that simply... most of the sandbox seems like a minigame, especially station management. The game doesn't allow me to do anything drastic with them, it's practically just a static station with me being able to do some minor tweaks. Same goes for the general economy and fleet commanding.

I've been playing Factorio for the last few weeks and I love the production and micro/macromanagement aspect of it. I might return to X:R one day but atm, I don't feel like forcing myself to do boring tasks for un-fulfilling ends.

It's still a fun game as long as you don't expect some major economy simulator and just want to shoot some space stuff and fly around the universe.
Last edited by Kaldo on Tue, 10. Mar 15, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 17:50

To all who are still unsure whether they want the game in it's current state:
There will be a free to play Weekend next Weekend, so the easiest way to check whether you like it is just to try it.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 10:16

It's the same game, just improved. Gets you the same experience, just more fluently.
After i built a few fabs, and boarded the ships i wanted to have, i don't see many reasons to play more still - feels a bit disappointing in the end, because all this effort gets you is more money. Lasts kinda like TC until the point where you had money to upgrade you first ship, and to set up a couple of stations with trade ships. That game started to speed up then, while XR ends there. Without even giving you any reason to even have all this done.
With the new AI-managed stations i still have to micro more then in any of my full fledged X3 empires.

Commanding ships is still a nightmare. ES just decided on removing the restriction for ships to be in your squad before being able to issue non-trade commands for them. They needed 1.5 years to accept the validity of this small change, even though there were countless threads since release requesting it.
For me it seems they deliberately stick by some bad design decisions (like mandatory conversations when issuing orders), no matter what the feedback is and how easy it is to implement the change - or they just change their minds really slowly when it comes to cutting back on the FP experience in favor of playability.

Maybe the next expansion. This one seems too messed up in the rush for release to patch it back on track imo. The big picture is not well thought out, different gameplay aspects dont really help or influence eachother, and there are some heavy limitations in order to make the game easy (more automatic) to play.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 10:59

@pref - sounds like you need to give yourself some more difficult goals in the game.

- How about, choose your most competitive rival in the production of a certain goods and go to all out subterfuge war with them. Sabotage their stations to stop them producing goods, hack their ships and steal their cargo, and control the market yourself while selling your goods at top end prices
- Or how about building a fleet to go into Malestrom and clear out the Xenon
- Or how about going into Teladi Outpost space and exploring some of the radioactive zones, as well as keeping the Pirate factions down by capping their destroyers.
- What about starting a game where you just go to war with everyone in the universe. Start as the Argon Fighter and you can pick a pirate faction, or even maybe the Split in Malestrom, as your only allies. Find their station and use it as your base, going on raids elsewhere and shooting other factions until they are hostile. Make life difficult for yourself and see how far you can get! :)
- My favourite goal yet... start my OWN economy in Malestrom. I freaking love this sector, and I'm sad that it's not used for much. However, there are a ton of blank zones, just like Devries I guess. How about working (slowly) towards setting up an entire economy within this sector, entirely your own structures and fleets protecting your assets. Of course you'll need to be established elsewhere first to get this going but imagine basically owning your own sector - and producing everything you need with all the 'final goods' in the game available from your own stations! :)

My point is, the ultimate goal in any X game has been down to the player, really. All the X games could be said that it's "just about money", but that's not really true. That money is just a means to your own goals.

Do you want to build hundreds of stations and get your economy to be the strongest single economy producing everything you need? Do you want to build a huge fleet and go start a war with your competitors or some Xenon/pirates? Do you want to try being a rogue who hates everyone in the universe? Give some thought to a grand goal, even if it seems impossible... you will eventually get there :)

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 12:08

pref wrote: Commanding ships is still a nightmare. ES just decided on removing the restriction for ships to be in your squad before being able to issue non-trade commands for them. They needed 1.5 years to accept the validity of this small change, even though there were countless threads since release requesting it.
For me it seems they deliberately stick by some bad design decisions (like mandatory conversations when issuing orders), no matter what the feedback is and how easy it is to implement the change - or they just change their minds really slowly when it comes to cutting back on the FP experience in favor of playability.
The issue was not alone solved by removing the restriction. We couldnt have done this change half a year ago, as many interactions broke doing this at that time. Solving these issue one at a time mad this change in the end possible. Its not like this topic was widely ignored, it was just not possible.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 12:41

linolafett wrote: The issue was not alone solved by removing the restriction. We couldnt have done this change half a year ago, as many interactions broke doing this at that time. Solving these issue one at a time mad this change in the end possible. Its not like this topic was widely ignored, it was just not possible.
Thanks for the clarification, this brings some light into my XR world :D
Would be so great if you guys were allowed to talk about future plans - this secretive way of extending the game does not serve you well imo.

Edit: Do you have similar issues with the uninterruptible conversations instead of menu style ship commands? That one is also beyond me - hard to understand why the old system is still in place.
Last edited by pref on Wed, 11. Mar 15, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”