Targetting Ships/Objects from Zone Map?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JDCollie
x3tc

Targetting Ships/Objects from Zone Map?

Post by JDCollie » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 06:51

Is it possible to target objects from the zone map? On a separate but related note, can I target my own ships from the assets list for that matter?

I searched the keybinds and came up empty, so I figured I'd ask you all.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 10:20

I believe with v3.0 beta 5 you can select individual objects from the zone map but not really do much following the selection (within the map itself). Which might seem a bit daft at first unless you accept that the feature has been added to the beta for testing.

Others may have different experience they want to share...

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 10:31

If you select a ship via the zone map, the map-related numerical shortcuts work so in various circumstances* it is now easier to gain information about or issue orders to our property than before via left-clicking on the list to the right of the map.

*Examples:
- Busy zones with many objects in the list to the right of the map.
- If we want to interact with something in an un-expanded Squad/Station.
- If we want to interact with, or learn the ID of, an object at a particular map position.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 10:34

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:If you select a ship via the zone map, the map-related numerical shortcuts work so in various circumstances* it is now easier to gain information about or issue orders to our property than before via left-clicking on the list to the right of the map.

*Examples:
- Busy zones with many objects in the list to the right of the map.
- If we want to interact with something in an un-expanded Squad/Station.
- If we want to interact with, or learn the ID of, an object at a particular map position.
Map related numerical shortcuts?

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 10:44

I hope I have remember correctly but yes, that was what I meant (in the 3.00 beta).

1-4, for things like showing info and contacting the crew.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Wed, 3. Dec 14, 11:05

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:I hope I have remember correctly but yes, that was what I meant (in the 3.00 beta).

1-4, for things like showing info and contacting the crew.
Thanks :) I'll give it a try once the beta finishes downloading.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 00:14

Drat. I gave it a try; the map shortcuts are for the already visible buttons below the zone map. (Still, I appreciate the replies!)

Basically I was hoping for a way to select and object on the zone map and set it as my primary target. Currently, there is a major disconnect between the zone map and the pilot view, because beyond the little arrow showing my heading, I know of no way to reference an object I can see on the map. I just have to say "huh, I think that ship was kinda behind me", flip around, and hunt for it on the screen. :(

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 00:36

Hiya, thanks for feeding back with more info.

Although not a perfect solution (since it is not as fast as "left-click-to-select") but after left-clicking on an object(e.g. ship or station) in the Zone Map, we can press 4,3,1 and it becomes our autopilot target.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 13:17

Well its not a solution at all it is a work around at best.

You don't want to be selecting objects individually all the time and certainly not then clicking buttons to open comms. One click should select and open a comms channel and display high lvl properties of the object(s) selected, your next action should then be to display/issue a command in one fluid motion.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 16:23

Well, ideally the object interaction would mimic that of X3. (Yes, I know, dead horse and all that.)

Still, the ability to select an object on the map, target it, give it orders, etc, all from the one context menu, was phenomenal. Now granted, in X3, we didn't have crew that had independed command options, so that wouldn't translate completely, but still, the targeting functions were spot on. I'd dearly like to see similar functionality in Rebirth, even if it is somewhat more limited.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 17:47

JDCollie wrote:Well, ideally the object interaction would mimic that of X3. (Yes, I know, dead horse and all that.)

Still, the ability to select an object on the map, target it, give it orders, etc, all from the one context menu, was phenomenal. Now granted, in X3, we didn't have crew that had independed command options, so that wouldn't translate completely, but still, the targeting functions were spot on. I'd dearly like to see similar functionality in Rebirth, even if it is somewhat more limited.
Agreed.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 20:05

+1

Actually, i would be really happy if i did not have to listen to the same lines over and over again when issuing orders.
Having a good map with proper control functions is a must for this game.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 21:00

3.0 Beta 7 Notes wrote:
  • Added ability to target docks, info points, trade offers, and mission offers using Shift-F (improves new feature in 3.0).
. . . could it be? Does it work from the map? Holy Pontifex, could someone check this out in-game and report back?

I would do it, but I'm on my crippled Rahanas of a laptop right now. (It seriously has trouble running Civ 5 :( )

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 21:01

pref wrote:+1

Actually, i would be really happy if i did not have to listen to the same lines over and over again when issuing orders.
Having a good map with proper control functions is a must for this game.
3.0 beta 7, beta 7, beta 7.......

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 21:28

JDCollie wrote:
3.0 Beta 7 Notes wrote:
  • Added ability to target docks, info points, trade offers, and mission offers using Shift-F (improves new feature in 3.0).
. . . could it be? Does it work from the map? Holy Pontifex, could someone check this out in-game and report back?
Those are not things we can see on the map, this is a space-based ability to help keyboard-users select things on ships and stations.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 21:58

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
JDCollie wrote:
3.0 Beta 7 Notes wrote:
Those are not things we can see on the map, this is a space-based ability to help keyboard-users select things on ships and stations.

Aw poop, you're right. I got too excited to read closely :(

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 22:00

It's that Christmas/3.00 beta feeling :)

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 22:11

wwdragon wrote:
JDCollie wrote:Well, ideally the object interaction would mimic that of X3. (Yes, I know, dead horse and all that.)

Agreed.
One context menu yes but otherwise no, no, no not like X3:
1. we already have in XR a 3D map unlike the X3 2D map with a button to swap axis
2. X3 couldn't handle band-box selection
3. X3 seemingly ignored the fact a mouse (or any other controller) has more than one button!
4. X3 had a lot of commands presented in deep dive menus there was no context there
5. X3 had a menu driven system for grouping objects (that only really worked with fighters), it was a work around

X3 is a perfect example of how not to do it when it comes to the execution of commands.

Its probably going to take time to get this right possibly beyond v3.0 but try we must.

JDCollie
x3tc

Post by JDCollie » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 22:27

BigBANGtheory wrote: One context menu yes but otherwise no, no, no not like X3:
1. we already have in XR a 3D map unlike the X3 2D map with a button to swap axis
3. X3 seemingly ignored the fact a mouse (or any other controller) has more than one button!
4. X3 had a lot of commands presented in deep dive menus there was no context there
5. X3 had a menu driven system for grouping objects (that only really worked with fighters), it was a work around

X3 is a perfect example of how not to do it when it comes to the execution of commands.

Its probably going to take time to get this right possibly beyond v3.0 but try we must.
You're right, I misused the term "context menu" in my earlier post. :( And I totally agree with your points; however, at the moment Rebirth's map can't even do the things X3 did, much less anything better. And to be fair, while X3's system was clunky, it was also powerful. Most of that power admittedly came from almost unparalleled object unification, but still, it worked.

Maybe that's what I'm really wanting; in X3, nearly any location or menu you could encounter an object in would give you the same menu options (deep dive, yes, but useful). This meant that there was a half dozen ways to find something, and you could use that object as a reference to find anything that was associated with it some way, either by ownership, location, job, etc. That's what I want from Rebirth.

I want to be able to ask an NPC where a potential crewman is, view that station on the zone map, hire that NPC remotely, select a ship of mine that happens to be in the same zone to go pick him up, set up a buy trade at the station while I'm at it, and then queue an order for that ship to drop the new crew member off at my station in DeVires, all without having to back out of the menu, go anywhere, or supervise anything.

Maybe that's too much to ask, but it's still what I'm hoping for in the end.
Last edited by JDCollie on Fri, 5. Dec 14, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 22:28

BigBANGtheory wrote:
wwdragon wrote:

Agreed.
One context menu yes but otherwise no, no, no not like X3:

More then just one context menu.
We should be able to interact with objects on the map, just as if we were targetting them in space.

As to X3 being limited in certain aspects... yeah... Hopefully X:R gets the best of both worlds.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”