Modding tips for a n00b (warning: serious n00b questions)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sargatanus
x4

Modding tips for a n00b (warning: serious n00b questions)

Post by Sargatanus » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 18:36

Hi there, I'm new here.

I've had X3 for a while now but only recently had time to really get into it. I'm interested in some basic modding, but there are so many different tools and guides that I just don't know where to start. If you'll pardon my n00bishness, I'd like to detail the tweaks I want to make and then get pointed in the right direction as to which specific tools/guides to use. Note: I'm currently only running X3TC.

Tweak 1: Make the Carrack a class M6 or allow M7s to dock at all stations. I'd like to tweak the expanded capacities of the Carrack as well (i.e. once you get one, you can add more shields than you could before, boost the turning more, things like that), simply because it can't be bought and could make a great player ship. Think of it as an extra reward for capping one.

Tweak 2: Be able to mount Plasma Beam Cannons on the main array of either M7 or M6 class ships, dependent upon solution for tweak 1.

Tweak 3 (pie in the sky): Create a docking bay for M1 ships that can carry 1 or Two M6 ships.

Tweak 4: "Astronaut scoop". Or net, or vacuum. Whatever. Trying to nab astronauts in space is a pain. Anything to make this easier without killing them or breaking missions would help.

That's all for now. So if anyone could kindly refer me to the appropriate tools and guides to make any of these happen, I would appreciate it.
This profile is under construction

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: Modding tips for a n00b (warning: serious n00b questions)

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 19:34

Welcome, Sargatanus.

Most of your requests are easy. You will need X3 Editor 2. Set up your profile, the "Open from VFS" to get the correct files to work with.

Sargatanus wrote:Tweak 1: Make the Carrack a class M6 [class and change its stats]
General tab; change Class to M6. Note that this may not be as much fun as you imagine, because the ship will still be an M7 in size. It will probably collide with smaller stations when docking. You should be able to dock and undock on autopilot or with the docking computer, but it may not be pretty.

An alternative is to add external mooring points to the Carrack so that you can dock a personal player ship ("player yacht"), which is typically an M3+ or M6. Then you just hop into your personal ship to dock at stations.

Since the Carrack scene file does not include docks of any kind, you will want the Ship Tricks: Mini Guides for Modding Ships. There is a specific tutorial for adding docks to any ship. (Part 2 includes a video tutorial).

Also review the first post, Tools, and Tips for Newbie Modders sections for important advice.

Changing the stats on your Carrack is easier. They are on the Performance tab.

Tweak 2: Be able to mount Plasma Beam Cannons on the main array of either M7 or M6 class ships
Compatible Guns tab.

Tweak 3 (pie in the sky): Create a docking bay for M1 ships that can carry 1 or Two M6 ships.
Same as 1 above.

If you want to do this for vanilla ships, then cattafett has already done much of the work for you: Improved Capital Ship hangers (vanilla safe). He has probably included the Carrack, so that may solve your tweak #1 problems.

Tweak 4: "Astronaut scoop".
Teleporter

Sargatanus
x4

Post by Sargatanus » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:01

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm no stranger to modding (other games), but I'm new to this editor. What do you mean by "set up your profile"?

Once I get that down, I should be able to figure out the rest.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:03

Options / Configuration / Game profiles

Sargatanus
x4

Post by Sargatanus » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:14

Maybe I'm starting to get old... So in profiles, there's X3 Terran Conflict and Default. When I try to open from VFS and select pretty mush any of the options (minus text viewer, which doesn't give me anything useful), it throws an error. When I create and new profile under configuration and then try again, it doesn't show up under the profile folder to select. Am I just looking in the wrong spot, or is there something I need to do from a different program?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:18

Are you modifying TC or AP?

Click on the profile in the left panel, then set the folders appropriately.
Then click on "Game profiles" (still in the left folder) and set your profile as default.

You will want to Open from VFS types\TShips. Use the "T File Editor".

Sargatanus
x4

Post by Sargatanus » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:29

I think I've got it. Going to make a few quick changes, load a game and spawn the ship I changed to see if they took effect. Might not work since I tried deleting my test profile but now it's the only one. I'll report back on what I found.

Sargatanus
x4

Post by Sargatanus » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:51

Oh, this is going to be fun. Now to mod a ship no NPC will ever use (or at least, never use to its full capacity). *EDIT*: Nevermind, found the cargo.
Last edited by Sargatanus on Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 20:53

General tab: Cargo max.

I don't change Cargo min... just cargo max. That way you pay for the extra cargo space (which is only fair).

Sargatanus
x4

Post by Sargatanus » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 21:05

Exactly what I did. Testing this on the Hyperion as I'd rather not have the Carrack crashing into everything. I modified the turret types to include the PBC as well so the ship can basically become a flying bug zapper.

Sargatanus
x4

Post by Sargatanus » Tue, 2. Dec 14, 03:53

Hmmm... The AI doesn't really handle beam weapons well at all. If I'm on "autopilot: attack", it takes almost 30 seconds to bring down a heavy fighter. If I do it on my own, it's down in 5. Is this a known issue or is there a fix for this?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 2. Dec 14, 07:34

Known issue. As a result, the vanilla game does not have many beam weapons for the player.

If only enemies have beam weapons (Kha'ak) then it is OK. As in Operation Final Fury plot (TC).

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”