Settings>Controls>Controls Locked Out - Resolved

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

idahosurge
x4

Settings>Controls>Controls Locked Out - Resolved

Post by idahosurge » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 01:10

Under Settings>Controls>Controls this option is locked (tab is black), when I left click on it nothing happens. I can not bind the joystick. I am pretty sure that I could get into this yesterday after I first loaded the game, but it is locked out now.

Also under Settings>Controls>Controller/Joystick is locked out (tab is black). When I left click on this nothing happens.

Under Settings>Controls>Manage Controllers/Joysticks my joystick shows up in slot 1 so XR sees it and properly shows it as a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB.

Also while inside a station I can move forward/backward and right/left with the joystick, but that is all, I can not steer the ship with it while in flight.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 04:38

Make sure you have the latest drivers and software for your joystick. If it's not being detected in game, check first that it is working fully and is calibrated in your operating system (open control panel>Joystick>select your joystick>test , and test it there by putting it through it's full range of motion- this actually calibrates the stick, also check that all buttons are registering while your at it).

When in game go to the settings>controls>key binding, and change the axis assignment from strafe to pitch/yaw.

If the Options are locked and you can't change the bindings, then something is wrong! you should ALWAYS be able to access this. If this is the case you may need to go into STEAM and verify your game files, failing that, you may need to re-install the game.

idahosurge
x4

How do I uninstall XRB? - Resolved.

Post by idahosurge » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 13:54

My settings/controls/controls menu and settings/controls/controller-joystick menu are locked out so I can not bind my joystick.

The joystick works fine in FSX so there is not anything wrong with it and since it works in FSX Win7 sees it.

Also XRB see it because it shows up in the settings/controls/manage controllers-joystick menu

In another tech support thread I was told if there is not anything wrong with the joustick then I would have to uninstall/reinstall XRB since the controls settings should never be locked out.

When I first installed steam and XRB on Friday I am sure that I had access to these menus, but not now.

I am new to steam, this is my first game on steam and I have no clue how to uninstall it. I looked around on steam and could not see anything on how to uninstall a game.

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 14:20

Thanks for the help in this tread and the other thread in the other forum!

It looks like I will have to uninstall/reinstall.

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 14:24

Never mind, I googled uninstall a steam game and found my answer.

idahosurge
x4

Can not unininstall XRB and I need tech support help from Egosoft to fix a problem

Post by idahosurge » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 17:01

In XRB the settings>controls>controls menu and the settings>controls>controller-joystick menus are locked out and I can not access them to bind my joystick so I can fly using the joystick.

In a different thread I was told that I would have to uninstall XRB, well in steam I removed XRB content from my steam game library, rebooted my PC then reloaded XRB, nothing changed, all my settings were still there, the control settings were still locked out, even my saved game was still there.

I then completely uninstalled steam from my PC and rebooted. Went through the whole steam and XRB install process and the same thing, I start XRB and all my graphic settings and everything else are still there, the mods I previously installed are still there, the controls menus are still locked out, my saved game was still there.

I really need someone from Egosoft Tech Support help my get these menus unlocked.

Other than this forum is there someplace else I can go to get help direct from Egosoft tech support?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 18:53

Please calm down and have some patience. You just created your other topic today and just because no one has answered for a couple for hours, doesn't mean you have to question the activity of official support. Especially, as it's sunday which is one of the less active days here (with official support being bound to usual working days and hours).

As for uninstalling X Rebirth, the uninstallation routine will usually only remove the vanilla game files. If you want to make sure that all files of your previous installation are removed, manually delete the X Rebirth game folder, after the uninstallation is complete. If you subscribed to mods in the X Rebirth workshop, then you may have to unsubscribe them to make sure that they are not downloaded again.

Savegames, screenshots and input profiles are not stored in the game folder, but under Documents\Egosoft\X Rebirth\[your personal Steam ID]\. To get rid of them, you will have to delete them manually too.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 19:12

I am calm and I do have patience even though from your point of view it may not seem that way.

I just finished this process and the controls menus are still locked.
- deleted XRB content from my steam library.
- uninstalled steam from my PC.
- made sure the steam folder in program files was gone.
- deleted the Egosoft folder from MyDocuments.
- emptied the recycle bin to make sure everything was deleted.
- used ccleaner and Glarysoft to clean my registry.
- put the XRB disk in my dvd and reinstalled everything.
- even though my graphic settings were set to default the control menus are still locked out.
-even though I deleted the Egosoft folder in mydocs my saved game still showed up in XRB after I deleted everything and reinstalled everything.

In the Egosoft\XRB\Steam ID folder there are xml config files. The one named "config" has sections for graphics, sound, games, but nothing for controls. Where is the config file for controls at? Maybe for whatever reason the menus are set to off in a config file. I looked at the other config files in this folder, but none of them had a section heading for controls or controller/joystick.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 19. Oct 14, 20:00

"-even though I deleted the Egosoft folder in mydocs my saved game still showed up in XRB after I deleted everything and reinstalled everything." I expect you have Steam cloud synch activated and have just recovered your last save from the cloud exactly as it was intended to work as a last-ditch game backup. Nobody is actually forcing you to use that save anyway and it will not affect a fresh gamestart.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Mon, 20. Oct 14, 01:15

I suggest going into STEAM in the desktop and disabling steam cloud as it may be downloading corrupt data files that have been backed up onto the cloud and locking the controls.

To do this; open steam go into the settings drop down menu>settings>cloud>uncheck both boxes here.

then try the game verification by going into the STEAM library>right click on X-Rebirth in the left hand panel that lists your games>properties>local files tab>Verify integrity of game cache

If nothing has changed and the controls are still locked, then try to go to the in-game Start Menu and select Settings, Controls, Restore Defaults.

If that doesn't work then delete/re-install ensuring that steam cloud is still disabled (it should be unless you re-enabled it).

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Mon, 20. Oct 14, 02:54

Okay and I will give that a try tomorrow evening and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Mon, 20. Oct 14, 03:21

When you say in-game start menu, are you talking about the menu that pops up in-game when you press the ESC key or is there some other key to press to get to a menu.

When you press the ESC key in-game that is the same menu that comes up when you start the game as far as the settings>controls option.

Also under settings>controls whether in-game or when you first start XRB, but before you load a game no there is not a setting for restore defaults under settings>controls.

I do see restore defaults under graphics, sound and games, but not controls.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Oct 14, 11:09

At the bottom of the Controls main screen are Save, Load and Rename Profiles. You need to reload the default profile if you have changed anything. Also I don't think you necessarily even get a default profile saved until you actually change something to make a custom profile.

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Mon, 20. Oct 14, 11:47

I reloaded the default controller and joystick profiles, but the two menus are still lock out.

If nobody has any more ideas to try before I do this tonight, I will go through the uninstall/reinstall again, this time without cloud sync active in steam.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Oct 14, 12:03

Interesting that this old X3 thread debate came up today as well.

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Tue, 21. Oct 14, 03:40

Unsyncing from the steam cloud had no effect. After unsyncing from the cloud I went through the whole uninstall/reinstall routine posted above yesterday twice and both times the two menus are still locked and I can not use my joystick to fly.

So where do I go from here?

I need to be able to use my joystick to fly, trying to fly using the arrow keys on the keyboard is just not going to cut it in combat.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Oct 14, 18:08

I just re-read your opening post and the post above and something finally clicked.

If you mean the two black lines in the Controls menu exactly called 'Controls' and 'Controller/Joystick' then those are group titles and were never meant to be clicked on. The relevant setting options are the grey/white lines in the groups of options underneath each title. The same applies to 'Mouse' and 'Input Profiles'.

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Tue, 21. Oct 14, 23:45

Well Alan, what we may have is a failure to communicate along with receiving some wrong information or information that I did not understand what the poster was talking about.

I am indeed talking about the black lines that you are calling group headings, that explains why I could not get into them.

The reason I was trying to get into them is that on Sunday on the first page of this thread Lander1979 posted this:

"When in game go to the settings>controls>key binding, and change the axis assignment from strafe to pitch/yaw."

Well I see nothing under controls for key binding so I thought that it must be under controls>controls and I could not get into that since the second controls is the black group heading tab that does not bring up another menu.

There is no section in my Controls menu call "Key Binding", so does such a section exist?

If it does not exist then how do I assign pitch/yaw to my joystick so I can use it to fly? How do I assign the X and Z keyboard keys to buttons 3 and 4 on my joystick?

In menu Controls>Space there are three columns. I assume column 1 is the description of the function to perform "Yaw". In my case for "Yaw" column 2 is "X Rotation", column 3 has "N/A" in red. If column 2 is for the keyboard and column 3 is for the joystick how do I assign yaw to the joystick? If I click on column 3 it blanks column 3 and I just get a flashing cursor, if I right click it does nothing.

idahosurge
x4

Post by idahosurge » Wed, 22. Oct 14, 00:13

I figured it out Alan, I am now flying with my JS.

I will need to fine tune JS button assignments, etc., but it is now working!

Thanks for the help!

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”