Egosoft, don't give up,there is still a place for X:Rebirth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Darrosquall
x4

Egosoft, don't give up,there is still a place for X:Rebirth

Post by Darrosquall » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 19:55

Well, after testing for a while Elite: Dangerous in these two days, my feeling is strange about the game from Frontier. There are a lot of sectors, but for the most part, they are empty.

There is an economy, but you can trade just with your ship and you don't see goods that are shipped from the stations and so on.

I'm talking about this because my feeling now is: I want the new patch for X:Rebirth.

There is still place for X:Rebirth, there are a lot of things that are simply ahead if you compare with the others.

Modular stations, crowd sectors, economy in real time. Even the possibility to go inside a station, this is a part that I'm missing from Elite. Yes, obviously Es should improve this part.

I just want to say, Egosoft, go on. Give the possibility to pilot different ships, make your universe larger and improve all the things that we have but that need polishing.

What do you think?

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:01

I agree for Xr as I can't tell about elite, I won't buy it...

I'm glad to see a "positive" post by the way ;-)

Keep on Ego! we're waiting for you!!
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:07

I quite agree, Elite is shaping up nicely but obviously limited to exploration single ship trade + combat for the forseeable future. ES still have their niche for the space based megalomaniacs. For the moment at least.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

Senner

Post by Senner » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:16

I'd say there is definitely a place for XR( that is if they keep working on it ). I don't quite get it, but to me it seems that Braben has ignored the fact that the genre has evolved a lot since the beginning with Elite. At least the minimum required age is 40 for this game, right? Or what am I missing?

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:18

The base of elite is indeed what the original game can be with new hardware, oh and pvp too. Don't underestimate the sales value of teaming up with your friends to make some poor miners/traders day completely miserable :D It's been selling eve subs for 11 years.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:38

As I see it, egosoft developed an awesome next generation engine just for their games, which is not something easy to do.

With their limited budget they only got to develop certain part of this game but the possibilities are not limited as with previous engine.

With a few more pushes (content) and fixes I can see this as the best space game in many years ahead or before.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:42

There is so much that can be done in this engine. People don't realize it. Some of the modders who are working on stuff right now have some amazing stuff planned. You guys will be surprised to see what can be done in this game.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Egosoft, don't give up,there is still a place for X:Rebirth

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:46

Think the X games thoroughly spoiled me. If they'd never existed think I'd have been absolutely overjoyed at the mere thought of a new Elite game after all these years (original was certainly one of my favourites from back when I first started playing computer games). However, sort of got used to being able to build my own stations & possess vast fleets of ships (both commercial & military) to do my bidding. Space games without those elements now just seem, well, a bit lacking in comparison & I find I just don't have much interest at all in playing the new Elite game. I expect far more from space games these days.

Darrosquall
x4

Post by Darrosquall » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:46

BlackRain wrote:There is so much that can be done in this engine. People don't realize it. Some of the modders who are working on stuff right now have some amazing stuff planned. You guys will be surprised to see what can be done in this game.
well, I hope that Egosoft is in health to do it. Let be honest, they are in "competition" with larger team, Frontier for example, is about 260 employees, around 100 are working on Elite.

People didn't realize this.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 20:53

GCU Grey Area wrote:Think the X games thoroughly spoiled me. If they'd never existed think I'd have been absolutely overjoyed at the mere thought of a new Elite game after all these years (original was certainly one of my favourites from back when I first started playing computer games). However, sort of got used to being able to build my own stations & possess vast fleets of ships (both commercial & military) to do my bidding. Space games without those elements now just seem, well, a bit lacking in comparison & I find I just don't have much interest at all in playing the new Elite game. I expect far more from space games these days.

THIS.

Sure, Star Citizen and Elite look nice.
But what's the point?
I cannot build stations, cannot conquer, cannot have a AI fleet of traders or warships which work by my close commands.

That's why Iam actually NOT a fan of the space-games genre.
Iam only a fan of X series, otherwise I don't like spacegames. There's no match for X series to be found outthere.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 21:24

Elite Games are what got me into Space Simulators in the first place, probably wouldn't of discovered the X-Series without getting into Frontier: Elite 2.

Elite was never about Resource Management or commanding fleets which is a real buzz kill for me, so far I only see X-Rebirth do this.

My thoughts on the one ship is they're doing what they did with X Beyond the Frontier, that started with one ship, then the expansions you could fly more.
I'm guessing that a future Rebirth Expansion will follow in the same footsteps, can't see it for Rebirth but perhaps in a future expansion?
Darrosquall wrote:
BlackRain wrote:There is so much that can be done in this engine. People don't realize it. Some of the modders who are working on stuff right now have some amazing stuff planned. You guys will be surprised to see what can be done in this game.
well, I hope that Egosoft is in health to do it. Let be honest, they are in "competition" with larger team, Frontier for example, is about 260 employees, around 100 are working on Elite.

People didn't realize this.

Larger teams don't always tend to be better. It means better management of your resources and I've seen large budgets get squandered on the most silliest of things.
Last edited by spankahontis on Wed, 30. Jul 14, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 21:27

spankahontis wrote:Elite Games are what got me into Space Simulators in the first place, probably wouldn't of discovered the X-Series without getting into Frontier: Elite 2.

Elite was never about Resource Management or commanding fleets which is a real buzz kill for me, so far I only see X-Rebirth do this.

My thoughts on the one ship is they're doing what they did with X Beyond the Frontier, that started with one ship, then the expansions you could fly more.
I'm guessing that a future Rebirth Expansion will follow in the same footsteps, can't see it for Rebirth but perhaps in a future expansion?
It is definitely something they can do if they want.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 21:32

BlackRain wrote:
spankahontis wrote:Elite Games are what got me into Space Simulators in the first place, probably wouldn't of discovered the X-Series without getting into Frontier: Elite 2.

It is definitely something they can do if they want.

I remember going through a Dev Diary binge on Frontiers Youtube page and Braben was asked about resource management.
His answer was no, but he did say he was open to it.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 21:48

A philosophical question for those who have shelved X Rebirth for the time being until it is 'fixed' (tm) in their opinion. What would it take in a patch or expansion to entice you back into trying it again? (Without any clear criteria here, there is the danger that you will always be waiting for just one more fix and so never take it up again.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mohammadm55

Post by mohammadm55 » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 22:07

Alan Phipps wrote:A philosophical question for those who have shelved X Rebirth for the time being until it is 'fixed' (tm) in their opinion. What would it take in a patch or expansion to entice you back into trying it again? (Without any clear criteria here, there is the danger that you will always be waiting for just one more fix and so never take it up again.)
1.fleet control, so i can control more then 1 arwan at a time + small ships to body guard it, i mean for god sake arwan is a carrier.

2.more ships + more choice in how we want our battle ships to be. right now there is no real choice, you build a ship and if you have the money you max everything out. in x3 Terran conflict witch is the only one i played you had a choice of what weapons you wanted to use and how using each weapon effected the battle, because the weapons had energy cost and could drain your ships energy.

3.balanced economy the way we want it, not the way barns wants it.

4. idc about being in a ship as much as i care for more ships.

5. give us modding tools like star craft so anyone can come in and mod the game. as of right now only people who know how to code can mod it.
give us the engine, even crysis gives out engines with there games.

6. idk if the modders have full access to the game like the past, but i remember i read somewhere ego soft hadn't released what ever the modders needed to be able to fully mod the game.

7. x rebirth will be a great game when x rebirth 2 is launched in 2016-2017

as one great man once said, x rebirth is not the game we deserve but its a game we need, because there is no alternative out there, and for some one like me graphic means everything, i literally cant handle games with ****** graphic.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 22:27

The realization within Egosoft that the cut scenes when assigning crew and the female dialogue was a huge insult to the player base.
I can live with the bugs and other failings because it is a new engine but not the condescending attitude that must have existed to believe we (the players of the game) would find the cheap childish sexual innuendo a plus.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 22:27

mohammadm55 wrote:6. idk if the modders have full access to the game like the past, but i remember i read somewhere ego soft hadn't released what ever the modders needed to be able to fully mod the game.
modders probably have more access to Game Functions than in the previous Games, there are Model Conversion Tools available by now and adding new Objects (eg. Ships) to the Game does not result in a mess and compatibility issues anymore. there are still a few rough edges, though, like the UI, but that one was not mod-able at all in the previous games. In XR it is possible, but with the currently availabe possibilities.. complicated.. (and no, creating nice lists or menus using the existing possibilites is no UI mod)

and on a related Note: i agree with BlackRain that EGO doesnt use their Engine to its full potential yet. to give you a concrete example: Naming Ships was possible from the very first Version via a simple Savegame Edit (add a name Attribute to a Ship) - there was just no way to set this Variable from the UI/InGame until EGO fixed that. And to give you something to look forward: i, as Modder, think that Modular Ships are possible with the currently available possibilities (or Company Logos on a Ship, which could be done in a similiar fashion), although admitedly i have still to try out if it really works as i think it should work..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

mohammadm55

Post by mohammadm55 » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 22:36

UniTrader wrote:
mohammadm55 wrote:6. idk if the modders have full access to the game like the past, but i remember i read somewhere ego soft hadn't released what ever the modders needed to be able to fully mod the game.
modders probably have more access to Game Functions than in the previous Games, there are Model Conversion Tools available by now and adding new Objects (eg. Ships) to the Game does not result in a mess and compatibility issues anymore. there are still a few rough edges, though, like the UI, but that one was not mod-able at all in the previous games. In XR it is possible, but with the currently availabe possibilities.. complicated.. (and no, creating nice lists or menus using the existing possibilites is no UI mod)

and on a related Note: i agree with BlackRain that EGO doesnt use their Engine to its full potential yet. to give you a concrete example: Naming Ships was possible from the very first Version via a simple Savegame Edit (add a name Attribute to a Ship) - there was just no way to set this Variable from the UI/InGame until EGO fixed that. And to give you something to look forward: i, as Modder, think that Modular Ships are possible with the currently available possibilities (or Company Logos on a Ship, which could be done in a similiar fashion), although admitedly i have still to try out if it really works as i think it should work..
thank you for the answer.

my understanding from what you said is that the game is way more modifiable then before, but there just isn't enough modders doing it like the past.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 22:45

Modders are still figuring it out, is more like it. I think some gave up too early without really realizing what is there and some may be waiting for a more complete game which is fine. I believe in the engine and I think in time it will mature wonderfully and the modding scene will grow.

Waervyn
x3tc

Post by Waervyn » Wed, 30. Jul 14, 22:46

Alan Phipps wrote:A philosophical question for those who have shelved X Rebirth for the time being until it is 'fixed' (tm) in their opinion. What would it take in a patch or expansion to entice you back into trying it again? (Without any clear criteria here, there is the danger that you will always be waiting for just one more fix and so never take it up again.)
Immersiveness mostly.

- Going into stations: good idea...howeveeeeer...it's a complete buzzkill to know that you're just in some randomized rooms instead of knowing you're actually in the exact station you docked. I'd rather have no going into stations at all like this, so that those resources can be directed to other parts of the game

- Immersiveness. I recently got a TrackIR, and it blew my mind. Elite and Rise of Flight are suddenly so much more immersive. This is really missing from Rebirth, the ability to just look around.

Another part of immersiveness is how the ship handles. It somehow feels like you're handling a 0grams ship. This is something that Elite: Dangerous does really well, you feel like your in an actual ship with mass and the limitations that brings.

- Customization! X3 was full with this. How about WE get to decide who's our co-pilot etc.

Haven't played far enough yet to comment on the economy and station building yet!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”