Defense officers should avoid firing at friendlies

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pirke123
x4

Defense officers should avoid firing at friendlies

Post by pirke123 » Sun, 6. Jul 14, 23:58

When there are friendly stations or ships, defense officers should avoid firing in that direction. I don't want them to try to kill a single insignificant enemy while at the same time he's by accident declaring war with a whole other faction. A +20 reputation drops really fast when 40 turrets are firing at a station...

Yes, flying around stations is fun. I like the huge structures in space. But battle near them is not fun when you can never even shoot your own guns without an immediate "this is your last warning" response, let alone defense officers on capital ships.

Berserk Knight
x4

Post by Berserk Knight » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 03:06

Those drops are temporary, and only applies to the attacked object.
I've had a fleet of my capitals destroy several stations, and I still have the exact same relation with them. (After the temporary drop ends.)
The trick is to have your ships do all the work. (ALL of it. You don't fire a single round.)

Spikeles
x4

Post by Spikeles » Thu, 10. Jul 14, 07:58

1000+ Agree. And not just your ships offices, any ship or station should do it each time it fires.

They should definitely have some kind of friendly fire line of sight avoidance check, it just makes *sense*.

The same applies for Area of Effect weapons in regards to explosions such as the warheads on missiles.

An ff you want to get complicated, put in some fuzzy decision making, eg, is killing the cap ship worth losing 2 or 3 fighters from the explosion?

And one of my favorite quotes from Mass Effect seems particularly relevant:
Gunnery Chief: This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferrous slug. Feel the weight. Every five seconds, the main gun of an Everest-class dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3 percent of light speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kilotomb bomb. That is three times the yield of the city buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space. Now! Serviceman Burnside! What is Newton's First Law?

First Recruit: Sir! A object in motion stays in motion, sir!

Gunnery Chief: No credit for partial answers, maggot!

First Recruit: Sir! Unless acted on by an outside force, sir!

Gunnery Chief: Damn straight! I dare to assume you ignorant jackasses know that space is empty. Once you fire this husk of metal, it keeps going till it hits something. That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you pull the trigger on this, you're ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime. That is why you check your damn targets! That is why you wait for the computer to give you a damn firing solution! That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not "eyeball it!" This is a weapon of mass destruction. You are not a cowboy shooting from the hip!

Second Recruit: Sir, yes sir!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”