2.20 64-bit inaccessible - reverted to 32-bit beta - 64 BIT FIX AT END!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rob_cool
x3

Post by rob_cool » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 01:26

I have vcredist_x64.exe on 3 locations on my harddisk, none in any folders that even resembled the suggested folder. No such folder even exists. I tried al 3 -> no errors but no success either. My virus scanner does not block it either.
The 32 bit beta version started immediately however !

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 11:23

The directory changed at some point --- updated the directory. It's also listed in the Steam KB: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -OXCV-0906
Stefan Hett

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 18:21

Hey,

I tried all those things on Saturday already. Unfortunately that did not work.

But what annoys me most is that windows just does not give any usable clue about what's wrong. It could at least try to tell something more useful...

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 18:27

It is a M$ product. Don't expect too much :P It may simply mean you bypassed 3221225594 other problems to get to your particular one :roll:
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

Tanooshman
x4

Post by Tanooshman » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 19:31

stefanEgo wrote:In addition you could also check the following. In the XRebirth directory you should find this file:
[Steam-directory]\steamapps\common\x rebirth\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe (see: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -OXCV-0906)

Just double click on it and try to start the game.

In principle Steam should make sure that this is installed correctly, but if there is something wrong, it might explain the startup-problem (note that this just installs the Visual Studio runtime for 64-bit which is required by X Rebirth).

[edit]Updated vcredist directory[/edit]
Performed all the tasks suggested- including reboot:

NOchange - as others have noted there is NO apparent response to clicking the ICON or the PLAY button on steam. If there is any kind of LOG to turn on and trap what happens, it may be pretty obvious, because it is immediate.

Interestingly the beta isn't working for me either because I have a need to edit the .xml, and the beta will not recognize a save file that's been edited. I don't think this is a bug, I think it's intended.
DIY system
MIS Z68 board
i5 2500K 3.83 quad chip
MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti video
8 Gig mem
64 Gig SSD Cache (SRT)
1.5Tb Hard
X3:Rebirth, TC

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 19:37

Have you tried launching from the exe directly?
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 20:01

Tanooshman wrote:NOchange - as others have noted there is NO apparent response to clicking the ICON or the PLAY button on steam. If there is any kind of LOG to turn on and trap what happens, it may be pretty obvious, because it is immediate.
This is something you'd have to ask Steam support, as the process doesn't actually seem to be getting as far as the game itself.
Tanooshman wrote:Interestingly the beta isn't working for me either because I have a need to edit the .xml, and the beta will not recognize a save file that's been edited. I don't think this is a bug, I think it's intended.
I've no idea where you get this idea from. The Beta versions are no different to the release versions in this respect, and the only reason any version would be unable to read a save file that had been edited would be if it had been edited incorrectly.

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 10:02

Could u give the following a try?

In the steamapp directory where XRebirth.exe is located could u add a new bat file (for instance test.bat - use notepad to create that file) with the following content:

XRebirth.exe
echo %errorlevel%
pause

Then just click on that file to run it.

You should see a command line window like this:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\X Rebirth>XRebirth.exe

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\X Rebirth>echo 0

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\X Rebirth>pause

What's the number displayed for u there?

Did u try to disable ur antivirus system temporarily to see if that solves the issue as suggested by CBJ?
Stefan Hett

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 14:00

Also note that in the next version we've improved error reporting a bit further. That covers some (rare) cases where the game would close silently at startup without showing any error message. Whether this is the actual one you have, I can't tell for sure.

You should still run the test in my previous post however, so we can try to help you out.
Last edited by stefanEgo on Tue, 1. Jul 14, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan Hett

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 17:06

Yes, I disabled my virus-scan.

ErrorLevel: -1073741701.

It actually does not matter if steam is running or not to produce that error code. I noticed something on the top left of the next screenie which is new.

So, going to ask steam. But still it most likely happened during your patch :P

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 17:45

This corresponds to the error code you see when you try to start the game driectly (c000007b). That means that there's some issue with starting the exe.

In general it suggests that there's some trouble with:
- either the exe
- a DLL the exe uses (aka: mismatch of 32- vs. 64-bit)
- a corrupted DLL

In 90% of the cases that is because you are missing the VS 64-bit runtimes. But since you stated you already followed the steam-instructions that should not be the case. Just to make double sure: Could u rerun this file:
D:\[...]\SteamApps\common\X Rebirth\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe in administration mode?

Also you can verify whether the runtime is correctly installed under Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features. There should be an entry called "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219". If that's missing something went wrong with the VS installer. (the version number must match exactly! If it's not, this will also explain the issue u have.

The screenshot you posted suggest you are running the game with Steam in Offline mode. I assume you also tried to run the game in online mode with the same result, no?

I also assume ur X Rebirth installation has been updated to the latest version correctly (2.20), Using the VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CAHCE... in Steam (properties of X Rebirth -> Local Files) was run without issues and BETAS are set to NONE. Correct?

If so I'd give it a try to completely remove the game and download a fresh installation. Chances are not good that this will fix the problem for you, if all the above was done already, but it's worth a try I'd say.
Last edited by stefanEgo on Tue, 1. Jul 14, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan Hett

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 17:52

@Thurak: Regarding the files u mentioned from the DirectX/Jun2010 folder: These are all fine... there is no dxdllreg_x64 and the size difference of DSETUP.dll and dsetup32.dll is all fine.

It might help if u could provide us with ur full dxdiag (not just the excerpt u posted before).
Last edited by stefanEgo on Tue, 1. Jul 14, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan Hett

Tanooshman
x4

Post by Tanooshman » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 18:43

Hey Stefan and Thurak

I'm the OP and have been following your dialog with interest. Each and every attempt you've suggest for Thurak, I've puppeted, each and every result I've shared. My full dxdiag is posted earlier in the thread.

One item that may be worth mentioning: My Steam games are split between C and D drives. The first steam games and steam itself on C, all games since 2011 on D.

I'm offering this info in case it's true for Thurak as well, and in case there's some kind of PATHing issue to consider.

In any case, thanks for continuing the problem determination guys.
DIY system
MIS Z68 board
i5 2500K 3.83 quad chip
8 Gig mem
64 Gig SSD Cache (SRT)
1.5Tb Hard

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 18:51

@Tanooshman: Did you run the test.bat I've mentioned earlier too? Do you see the same errorlevel Thurak reported or do u get a different one?
Is the correct Visual Studio entry listed in the list of installed programs in Windows?
Stefan Hett

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 21:58

The screenshot hat a new "feature" in the left top corner. Steam tries to tell me something... unfortunately only there, otherwise it seems to work fine.

I'll give the whole packet of stuff another run tomorrow.

Tanooshman
x4

Post by Tanooshman » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 23:16

stefanEgo wrote:@Tanooshman: Did you run the test.bat I've mentioned earlier too? Do you see the same errorlevel Thurak reported or do u get a different one?
Is the correct Visual Studio entry listed in the list of installed programs in Windows?
Stefan:

YES and
YES (same one) and
YES
DIY system
MIS Z68 board
i5 2500K 3.83 quad chip
8 Gig mem
64 Gig SSD Cache (SRT)
1.5Tb Hard

stefanEgo
x4

Post by stefanEgo » Wed, 2. Jul 14, 10:14

@ Thurak: The DXDiag you sent me didn't show any hint which might have caused ur issue unfortunately.

@ Thurak/Tanooshman: Could u do the following:
1. Download DepencyWalker (64-bit version): http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x64.zip
2. Unpack the files into a folder.
3. Drag-and-Drop the XRebirth.exe file from the SteamApps/coommon/X Rebirth directory onto the depends.exe file.
The dependency Walker should now show up showing a list of DLLs and other things.
4. In the DependencyWalker click on File -> SaveAs.
5. Make sure that Save as type is set to Dependency Walker Image (*.dwi) and save the file somewhere.
6. Send me the file by PM (maybe better pack it, since it might be some MB in size).
Stefan Hett

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Wed, 2. Jul 14, 18:11

Oh yeah, that result looks promising. Nice tool, was looking for something like that but obviously could not use google correctly :)

Result in short: IESHIMS.DLL seems to be missing... well, no wonder for me actually, the if I assume correctly that's an IE file. The IE is not installed here.

You got more details via PM

Tanooshman
x4

Post by Tanooshman » Wed, 2. Jul 14, 20:44

Stefan - I can't figure out HOW to send a file. There's no attach option on the PM panel.
DIY system
MIS Z68 board
i5 2500K 3.83 quad chip
8 Gig mem
64 Gig SSD Cache (SRT)
1.5Tb Hard

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 2. Jul 14, 20:50

Upload the file to a file-hosting site such as DropBox and PM the link.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”