Repitition is not immersion

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mtiffany71
x3tc

Repitition is not immersion

Post by mtiffany71 » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 02:38

So I fired up XR 2.10 today and played for a few minutes. I decided to change what ships were assigned to which stations and I finally realized the part of Rebirth I absolutely loathe: I have to endure repetitive dialog which I cannot skip just to perform simple tasks.

The fleet and property management mechanics of this game are not immersive, they are repetitive.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 05:29

And how is that different than previous X games or managing multiples of anything similar?
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

thedesertwolf
x3ap

Post by thedesertwolf » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 05:34

The difference was you could assign them to a task and not get stuck in a voice dialogue with them. Assign task, make certain it starts up, then move on to the next ship.

Wasn't streamlined in any way but the dialogues take up time and get old fast.
I never knew that Kha'ak tasted like fried chicken!

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 06:37

I apologize. I didn't read your post carefully and missed the dialogue part. Yes, I agree with that. But check the mods sticky in the modding forum, I think there might be something that removes some (or all) of that. I know it has been talked about.
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 10:52

Don't mind getting verbal confirmation of orders from my own minions, just wish there was more variety in what they said (indeed more variety of NPCs in general, rather than a universe seemingly populated entirely by the clones). In many ways prefer it to previous games where every ship was AI controlled & ship crews did not exist.

However what really irks me is when 2 NPCs decide to have a long-winded conversation about how bad I've been - sometimes goes on for quite a while, they just won't shut up & during that time they prevent me from opening the map, organising trades, issuing orders to my own ships, etc. Don't mind if they want to chatter on in the background, but preventing me from using the centre console of my own damn ship while they're talking is just bloody annoying.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 11:02

A simple improvement to improve the situation would be to allow people to skip ANY verbal dialog - if it is plot/mission related, then the dialog should have a written entry in the mission log and any extra information that might be gleamed from the conversation (whether skipped or not) could be added as an entry in the main log.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 11:14

THe silence or shut up mods seem to help matters. I've been using them since forever and the current crop of ones seem to do a decent job of cutting it out.

Check the workshop for the shut up ren and others.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 09:10

Actually this is exactly why I find Rebirth much more immersive than previous games (along the side of other things), my ships now have a real crew, and I can speak with them, dock at the ship and see them!

I especially adore the captain of my Taranis.
Everytime she kills a enemy, she says "Job done, I'll do my nails".
Completly badass!

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 11:24

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Actually this is exactly why I find Rebirth much more immersive than previous games (along the side of other things), my ships now have a real crew, and I can speak with them, dock at the ship and see them!

I especially adore the captain of my Taranis.
Everytime she kills a enemy, she says "Job done, I'll do my nails".
Completly badass!
I wish there was more crew though.

3 people on one destroyer? For me it's the opposite, it breaks the immersion.

An Arleigh Burke destroyer has 300 crewmembers, but I'm thinking EGOSOFT went for the big battleship classification. If so, then 2000-3000 crewmembers.

Ah well, we have what we have.....
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 13:26

Rest of crew is maintaining the ship... Those three are just the highest people, who keep overwatch and check things :) Think about it like this and you'll be hmmkay.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 15:40

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Rest of crew is maintaining the ship... Those three are just the highest people, who keep overwatch and check things :) Think about it like this and you'll be hmmkay.
Another way of thinking about it is that the rest of the crew is replaced with autonomous entities (either AI or AGI).

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 17:02

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Rest of crew is maintaining the ship... Those three are just the highest people, who keep overwatch and check things :) Think about it like this and you'll be hmmkay.
Another way of thinking about it is that the rest of the crew is replaced with autonomous entities (either AI or AGI).
Also a good thing, BUT why are there windows and light inside?
That wouldn't be needed, since drones don't need light.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 22. Jun 14, 21:41

One possible explanation is that some of the on board automation systems do need light to be able to observe if obstructions are there - e.g. in the case of battle damage, or in the rare cases of human maintenance or direct/site inspection.

To clarify, drones possibly would need light if one of their primary sensors is in the visual spectrum - not everything can be done purely using magnetic, infrared, or other types of sensory input. At times there is no replacement for the ol' MK1 eye ball ;)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”