General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Patholos
x4

Question: Reasons for rude dialouge?

Post by Patholos » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 19:49

Just a question I have.

Why are npcs voiced so rudely?

Traders imply that I lack proper decision making skills AFTER I have purchased from them. (Wow, way to set yourself up for repeat customers)

And I also noticed that it's more often than not the female npcs that are rude, impolite or say something jawdroppingly awkward nonsense.

Male voices tend to be somewhat on the case and businesslike.

What gives?
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Palanor
x4

Post by Palanor » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 22:42

and "Show me ... and i do mean everything " either put a button or option for her to disrobe or change it

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 22:48

What gives?

I'll tell ya, egosoft is lacking in the mo-cap and general social linguistic department, the general dialogue is very shallow and also the language barrier is a problem too, what might sound funny or light hearted in german might not come across the same way in english.

I know this because I am half hungarian and trust me some of the jokes I hear in hungarian are best said in the original language for maximum laughter lol.

ianrobo75
x4

Post by ianrobo75 » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 22:53

I agree with the OP. Creatures from other planets can be excused but all the humans have an attitude problem. It gets a bit much after a while.
Last edited by ianrobo75 on Tue, 17. Jun 14, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Win10 Home 64-bit, Intel i7-9750H @ 2.6GHz. NVidia GeForce RTX 2070 (8 GB). 16 GB ram.

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 23:02

Luckily, there's mods removing alot of the voices.

Radio Silence
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=368046

Shut up Ren!
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=367746

Much kudos to him.

I have no issue with the voice actors, it's the lines they are saying that breaks much of the immersion and my patience.

Atrocious

Post by Atrocious » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 00:15

Thanks Patholos,

Shut Up Ren! was mostly intended to keep Ren quiet. I really can't stand his voice acting, sorry Egosoft.

While I was at it, I also made the traders greeting shorter and thus friendlier. They are really unnecessarily hostile sometimes.

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 00:28

The npcs make me think of rude petulant children that appear to not want dessert. In the absence of the ability to send them to the naughty step, maybe an option to kill all voices but betty as we need that one for low shiled warnings etc? I'm happy with subtitles given the irritation level of listening to the talent free voice actors.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

TRiPWiRE
x4

Post by TRiPWiRE » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 06:28

I actually find the "...and I DO mean anything", comment to be quite embarrassing when I'm playing X-Rebirth with other people around.

She doesn't even stop saying it after the first time but continues to repeat it EVERY SINGLE TIME you speak to her. Seriously, it's stupid, childish and makes me wonder what sort of pervy nerd came up with it in the first place.

phoenix-it
x3tc

Post by phoenix-it » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 04:51

I think the NPC's choice of salutations is supposed to be an indicator of your standing with the NPC or his or her faction. The problem is that the poor translation lacks context and just doesn't convey the intent of the rudeness. So, the NPC just appears to behave in a completely neurotic way during conversation.

The poor translations are not exactly new with XR... I guess they just don't consult the native English speaking beta testers.

Be good, mind. Oh, and all your base...

That said the one good thing I got out of all of this is that I now know exactly what the German word betriebsblind means now; even though it lacks an exact English counterpart.

:lol:
Anyone else notice how the Dovakiin & Dragons in Skyrim kinda sorta resemble the Immortals from Highlander? Every time a dragon dies I hear, "There can be only one."

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 13:25

The dialogue while bad is made worst by the way the voiceover is done, and the generic nature of it, one of the grannies saying "and I mean anything" in a husky/teasing 28 year old voice surely will freak everybody out. As said before, most of the voice actors are volunteers and you cannot expect professional performances from them.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 13:55

santi wrote:The dialogue while bad is made worst by the way the voiceover is done, and the generic nature of it, one of the grannies saying "and I mean anything" in a husky/teasing 28 year old voice surely will freak everybody out. As said before, most of the voice actors are volunteers and you cannot expect professional performances from them.
Perhaps but it does not change the fact that they really are annoying I wonder if there is a mod to change the voices/ add your own. someone was asking for volunteers for this ages ago but I had things going on at the time sadly.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

HesseHU
x4

Post by HesseHU » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 18:18

The German Trader voices are rude as well very often.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 18. Jun 14, 18:49

I like Ren's voice acting, it's just you expect the Split to be the rude and arrogant ones, yet they're more polite than most the women.
And why are there no Split/Teladi Women (Yoolis) the only one.

And yeah, when I hear the Human Women say "I do mean ANYTHING" I go straight into Rick James mode.

And "I bet you talk like that to all the girls", imagine the trailer "In the future! Women are more shallow and sexually devious!".

And this is the future?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Wed, 18. Jun 14, 19:27

spankahontis wrote:I like Ren's voice acting, it's just you expect the Split to be the rude and arrogant ones, yet they're more polite than most the women.

And yeah, when I hear the Human Women say "I do mean ANYTHING" I go straight into Rick James mode.

And "I bet you talk like that to all the girls", imagine the trailer "In the future! Women are more shallow and sexually devious!".

And this is the future?
Teladis are a strange bunch. Basically either they are colony Teladi aka all females through parthogenesis or Ianamus Zura Teladi which is made the old fashioned way. Depends on what snoopy loopy direction the Lore took this time.

In the future, women are more neurotic than ever if I'm to believe Egosoft.

Yes, I tend to negotiate about purchasing heavy military hardware from any girl I talk with.

IceIvan45
xr

Post by IceIvan45 » Wed, 18. Jun 14, 23:26

Palanor wrote:and "Show me ... and i do mean everything " either put a button or option for her to disrobe or change it
I second that. If they want the NPC to show us everything, then they should add an option to do so when they say it. Otherwise it is kind of inappropriate, especially since the player did nothing to provoke that question. It is pointless to have it in there if we can't do anything about it.

IceIvan45
xr

Post by IceIvan45 » Wed, 18. Jun 14, 23:28

I guess it is to show their stuck up attitudes.

IceIvan45
xr

Post by IceIvan45 » Wed, 25. Jun 14, 01:27

I realized another reason they could be rude, it may have something to do with the cockpit decor. I think they expect us to change it often or something. Haven't tested that theory yet, and don't plan to. They can say what they want about my ship, they should know who hired them though.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 29. Jun 14, 19:52

Patholos wrote:
spankahontis wrote:I like Ren's voice acting, it's just you expect the Split to be the rude and arrogant ones, yet they're more polite than most the women.

And this is the future?
Teladis are a strange bunch. Basically either they are colony Teladi aka all females through parthogenesis or Ianamus Zura Teladi which is made the old fashioned way. Depends on what snoopy loopy direction the Lore took this time.

In the future, women are more neurotic than ever if I'm to believe Egosoft.

Yes, I tend to negotiate about purchasing heavy military hardware from any girl I talk with.

Ahh, so they are technically 'Hermaphrodites' Environment alters their sexual orientation.
Just wonder what Differences the Male/Females have to one another?
All I know so far is their eyes change colour when they grow older to a more red colour.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

mbar
x3ap

Post by mbar » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 14:54

IceIvan45 wrote:
Palanor wrote:and "Show me ... and i do mean everything " either put a button or option for her to disrobe or change it
I second that. If they want the NPC to show us everything, then they should add an option to do so when they say it. Otherwise it is kind of inappropriate, especially since the player did nothing to provoke that question. It is pointless to have it in there if we can't do anything about it.
Leisure Suit Larry: In Space

No thanks. :D

pirke123
x4

Post by pirke123 » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 15:15

When getting new crew on board "how does your copilot deal with all the sweaty male clothes back here"?

All smalltalk texts are really bad, repetitive and annoying. Many other texts as well. I do think the actor of Ren Otani is the best one, and I don't mind him speaking.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”