X3AP: Some questions on Sector and Universe Traders

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nospammdi
x3ap

X3AP: Some questions on Sector and Universe Traders

Post by nospammdi » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 11:33

Couldn't find any answers to these questions in the forum so wondering if anyone knows

- do ST/UT require a satellite network to find/make profitable trades? They don't seem to require the Trading System Extension so I thought a sat network is then also not required. Can anyone confirm?

- will the AI be able to make use of docking computers if I equip my STs/UTs with them?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 11:59

The trading system extension has to be fitted to the ship you are piloting.

I usually fit to all ships,as I never know when I might need it.
Very frustrating to be sat in a ship and find you cannot interact with a trade ship that needs your help.

Satellites are also a useful tool for seeing what trades are available, but generally not used by your ST's etc.

Your ship captains have information available that you have no access to much of the time,until your universe is well explored and sats placed.

eg in a universe that is not well explored...if you have a mission to go to a sector that is highlighted on your map , but there are very few other sectors to assist in finding a direct route , your ship will automatically find the shortest route, even if it means flying through "danger zones".

Solomon Short
x4

Re: X3AP: Some questions on Sector and Universe Traders

Post by Solomon Short » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 12:50

nospammdi wrote:Couldn't find any answers to these questions in the forum so wondering if anyone knows

- do ST/UT require a satellite network to find/make profitable trades? They don't seem to require the Trading System Extension so I thought a sat network is then also not required. Can anyone confirm?

- will the AI be able to make use of docking computers if I equip my STs/UTs with them?
Mk3 Traders do not require the Trading System Extension or Satellites, & no, the AI will (AFAIK) never use the Docking Computer, both are Player-only functionality.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 12:58

There is a list somewhere of the minimum requirements for each type of trade ship.

However,as I said above, I usually fit all, because I never know when I might need one of the other ships to assist me, or even pick me up (if I lose my personal ship and find myself floating).

Yes, the latter did happen, a loong time ago.
I vowed I would be prepared next time.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 18:48

Main thing I do is equip them with all software I would want as far as possible weapons, Mosquito missiles drones, jump drive and pre-set fuel resupply setting for auto jump.

Once they level up they will spend time acquiring this stuff when they should be working often taking them through sectors that put them at risk.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Thu, 2. Jan 14, 03:58

I find they're surprisingly good at entering systems which put them at risk regardless of whether they're trading or re-supplying.

In one of my plot games I lost close to 50 of my 62 UT's in Omicron Lyrae, even though the system was a constant war zone.

Like trading shares in RL, the ability to set the level of risk you want your assets exposed to would be very handy.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

Tw122le
x3ap

Post by Tw122le » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 15:22

Ebany wrote:I find they're surprisingly good at entering systems which put them at risk regardless of whether they're trading or re-supplying.

In one of my plot games I lost close to 50 of my 62 UT's in Omicron Lyrae, even though the system was a constant war zone.

Like trading shares in RL, the ability to set the level of risk you want your assets exposed to would be very handy.
Aren't you adding sectors you don't want them entering into the blacklist in additional ship commands? that's in the ship command console btw.
X3 GOTY, X2 v1.4 + 1.03.03. X-BTF & X-Tension 2.1a.
X2 Guides courtesy of Nilof:Click Here
I only play the games, not make the rules.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 02:51

Instead of UTs, I have a network of Local Traders (range of 1-2) covering most of the galaxy.

Real easy to stop LTs from entering dangerous sectors. You simply restrict their range so it's not even a possibility.

Have about 30 ships doing this job, haven't lost a single one.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 04:44

Tw122le wrote:
Ebany wrote:I find they're surprisingly good at entering systems which put them at risk regardless of whether they're trading or re-supplying.

Aren't you adding sectors you don't want them entering into the blacklist in additional ship commands? that's in the ship command console btw.
I don't, but then I have only just started using the new patches for X3:AP. I've just have a quick look and can't find it, under "additional commands" I still only have "none". I get all the extra for my UT's as sometimes I take them for milk/gun runs.

btw, currently using no mod's, and not sure how much longer I'll last doing so, but thought I should just check if that is an option only available with a particular mod?

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 04:50

And I know it's slightly off topic, but if u know any good fleet command mods. I have a Python leading a Titan, 2x Heavy Dragons, 2x Griffons, 2x Centaurs, an osprey, an elephant, a viper, and a bunch of M3's.

Some reason one of my Heavy dragons is always targeted 1st and the others are slow to defend. Also, if I get the Python to jump to another sector for support/invasion, each unit jumps one after the other. If they are escaping this means total death as each one stops and does nothing while it waits in line to jump. I had 7x m4's and 3x m3's and 1x m6 wipe my entire fleet this way.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 08:44

blacklist is part of the Bonus Pack,iirc, which is considered vanilla by most of us,including Steam.

ancienthighway
x4

Re: X3AP: Some questions on Sector and Universe Traders

Post by ancienthighway » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 09:02

Solomon Short wrote: Mk3 Traders do not require the Trading System Extension or Satellites, & no, the AI will (AFAIK) never use the Docking Computer, both are Player-only functionality.
I agree that if the player is OOS docking computers are ignored, but IS I've watched them function on AI ships. I won't let the AI fly a Jag or Kestrel without a docking computer if I'm IS since they are so fast they have a tendency to crash into things. :lol:

While ST/UT, CLS and CAG only require a specific set of upgrades to function, I tend to outfit all of my ships as if I may pull it off it's current mission and fly it myself or set if on a different task requiring different upgrades.

It's been a good number of years since I've played any of the X games, but I seem to remember a mod that would alter UT functioning to use advance satellites. I was thinking it was SEWN, but the description doesn't mention it. Basic functionality was UTs would only enter sectors that had advance sats and only if no enemy was detected.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 12:28

I have no Ad.Sat's in Omicron as its a war zone, but my UT's seem to think it's the place for fast cash casue they all go there to smashed by Katana's

I'll have to see about downloading the bonus package, done thru Steam or off the Egosoft site?

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 12:59

Ebany wrote:I'll have to see about downloading the bonus package, done thru Steam or off the Egosoft site?
The X3:AP Bonus Pack can be found here: http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3ap/bo ... wnload=561

THe X3:TC Bonus Pack is here: http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3tc/bo ... wnload=528

Sounds like you really need to use the blacklist manager. No other way around it if you are set on using UTs. As stated above, the AI will NEVER use a docking computer. However it doesn't matter as they instadock when you are out of system anyway.

There was a script I came across a long time ago that fixed a common docking problem and some uncommon ones, the script also included a way for NPCs to use docking computers while you were in system. This is what I believe the last poster is referring to. "a good number of years" is about when this script was popular.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 14:15

tnx Sin. I have heaps of UT's as they were an effective way to earn money, station building is ..... lets just say that Egosoft could have made the UI & automation more user friendly. I had a look on Steam but found no way to download or install the bonus package so will follow the link you provided and see how I go.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 6. Jan 14, 19:07

Ebany wrote:btw, currently using no mod's, and not sure how much longer I'll last doing so, but thought I should just check if that is an option only available with a particular mod?
If you do decide to play a modified game, then MK3 Improvement Reloaded makes ST/UT's work the way that they always should have worked. It fixes many bugs and issues in the vanilla scripts.

OK Traders is a nice alternative to both Mk3 and CAG traders. It is simpler and more reliable than either of the vanilla scripts.
  • (Discussions about either should really take place in the S&M forum.)

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Tue, 7. Jan 14, 04:57

Thanks, I'll have to check those out ..... can't even remember why I'm running Vanilla since I don't upload my save games.

and sry about hijacking the thread OP :D

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Tue, 7. Jan 14, 05:39

Ebany wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check those out ..... can't even remember why I'm running Vanilla since I don't upload my save games.
Achievements?

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Tue, 7. Jan 14, 06:45

Don't you get the /ach if the game is "modified"?

Edit: Which reminds me, everytime I go away to do something for a few hours I seem to rep, no matter where i park up. Anyone else get this bug?

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Tue, 7. Jan 14, 06:52

Ebany wrote:Don't you get the /ach if the game is "modified"?
Not if the game recognises it is modified.

There some unsigned mods that can be installed without triggering the modified, colloquially(sp?) known as "Vanilla-safe", mostly these change things like models, & don't affect gameplay too much (though some consider the changes made by Saetan's Advanced Complex Hubs to be significant [I singled that out 'cos it's one of my favourites]).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”