Possible Litcube's Universe Release

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 00:31

zanzal wrote:Part of me wishes we could convince Litcube that no one would be upset at having a few models, lines of code, or sound tracks uncredited or used against the authors intent, but the reality is that people do get upset when their work is used without permission. Even my own code has license restrictions which I expect to see followed if distributed to others.
As far as I see, the issue is only about some tracks and models, not code.

Most interest about the mod is about the code though as far as I can see.

So, just release the object of interest at least: The code.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 00:58

Boringnick wrote:
zanzal wrote:Part of me wishes we could convince Litcube that no one would be upset at having a few models, lines of code, or sound tracks uncredited or used against the authors intent, but the reality is that people do get upset when their work is used without permission. Even my own code has license restrictions which I expect to see followed if distributed to others.

We have explained this already, one cant exist without the other. Releasing "The code" without the rest of the mod would be completely worthless to everyone, it just doesn't work that way.

There is far more too the code then just simple scripts, scripts are only the tip of the iceberg, and the scripts themselves wont even work in the vanilla game (literately, they wont load)
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 01:13

Jack08 wrote:
Boringnick wrote:

We have explained this already, one cant exist without the other. Releasing "The code" without the rest of the mod would be completely worthless to everyone, it just doesn't work that way.

There is far more too the code then just simple scripts, scripts are only the tip of the iceberg, and the scripts themselves wont even work in the vanilla game (literately, they wont load)
Then release the mod, just without the all models.

Why isn't it possible to delete all the custom models from the mod? Somewhere the mesh files are stored, right?

Such a cleaned construct will of course crash and all, but someone could fix it later by adding other models and assets.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 01:18

Boringnick wrote:Such a cleaned construct will of course crash and all, but someone could fix it later by adding other models and assets.
I like the guy who said "don't release it unless it's done right".

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 01:21

Litcube wrote:
Boringnick wrote:Such a cleaned construct will of course crash and all, but someone could fix it later by adding other models and assets.
But it looks like you don't want to release it at all.

A fixable work-in-progress release is better than no release.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 21:46

Boringnick wrote:
Litcube wrote:
But it looks like you don't want to release it at all.

A fixable work-in-progress release is better than no release.
Im guessing you dont mod the game do you Boringnick... In order to make it release worthy at this point, an unknown amount of ships will have to be removed, and disabled in TShips, which may cause issues with the Jobs engine, which may require changes to Jobs which may require changes to scripts, and so on and so forth - This is a job that Litcube may have to do himself, As he is the only one who truly knows his mod in totality, You cant simply just rip things out and say all good.

Litcube has little time as he works away from his home and only has short amounts of time at home, This is why he was looking for help, and why any veto was such a stopping factor in the first place.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Draics constant
xr

Post by Draics constant » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 21:52

Boringnick wrote:A fixable work-in-progress release is better than no release.
this is the entirely sane logic that brought us X:Rebirth

WindsweptDragon
x3ap

Post by WindsweptDragon » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 15:49

I have zero knowledge and even less idea of whats going on with anything to do with modding or scripting and Ive barely even played the game.

But if I can help with anything I will, remember though, youll have to explain to me exactly what you want me to do in terms your 107 yr old granny would understand........an then youll probably have to explain again.

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 19:30

WindsweptDragon wrote:I have zero knowledge and even less idea of whats going on with anything to do with modding or scripting and Ive barely even played the game.

But if I can help with anything I will, remember though, youll have to explain to me exactly what you want me to do in terms your 107 yr old granny would understand........an then youll probably have to explain again.
:) I'm sure this is ment nice, and I realy understand your motivation, but with your knowledge, Litcube would have twice or triple the work advising you than doing it by himself.
When I explan my father (in his 70's) something PC related, to prevent him from having a virus every two days, I get urgent feelings of hitting my head on the keyboard real hard and frequent.
I just want to prevent Litcube from such urgent feelings...
Last edited by Nicoman35 on Sat, 1. Feb 14, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Sat, 1. Feb 14, 00:52

Draics constant wrote:
Boringnick wrote:A fixable work-in-progress release is better than no release.
this is the entirely sane logic that brought us X:Rebirth
And we all know how that turned out. :roll:
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sanjor
x4

Post by Sanjor » Sat, 1. Feb 14, 14:29

If you haven't changed the directories for ship models and scenes; then having end users install this over XTC or any other ship packs you've used should make the ship models work without distributing any premissions-blocked ships.

As for music, a text file controls what plays when, right?
Just how many tracks need to be replaced with public domain music or music already in X3AP?

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sat, 1. Feb 14, 16:19

Sanjor wrote:If you haven't changed the directories for ship models and scenes; then having end users install this over XTC or any other ship packs you've used should make the ship models work without distributing any premissions-blocked ships.
Hm. That's a possible solution.
Sanjor wrote:As for music, a text file controls what plays when, right?
Just how many tracks need to be replaced with public domain music or music already in X3AP?
The music is being handled.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sat, 1. Feb 14, 20:19

I should mention that plots are completely ripped out of this mod, if anyone was looking forward to that at all.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 1. Feb 14, 20:26

Litcube wrote:I should mention that plots are completely ripped out of this mod
You could also mention that you have added an aggressive, invasive, expansionist enemy. So it is not as though there is nothing to do in the game.

Instead of doing plots, perhaps the "goal" of the mod is to prevent this new enemy from taking over the universe? That, in itself, should give the player quite a bit to do.

Teronredoran
x3tc

Post by Teronredoran » Sun, 2. Feb 14, 08:14

No plots are fine with me. While they added some nice focus the first time through and helped me learn the game, I only ever got around to the Terran and Kha'ak ones, then took a look at the hub and decided not to bother continuing them.(Also after the first time through I lost any interest in listening to that much of the English voice acting ever again. . . .)

A.K.A. please, please release this awesome sounding mod. :D
"That's what I'd look like if I was badass" Friend on seeing Dr Who for the first time.

Joshua the Bear
x4

Post by Joshua the Bear » Sun, 2. Feb 14, 10:59

Alternatively, I don't think that people will have a big problem with low-quality placeholder models, although I understand it will upset part of the gameplay balance.

Teronredoran
x3tc

Post by Teronredoran » Mon, 10. Feb 14, 01:30

This is totally not a bump for the sake of bumping.
More seriously though, is this still going well? Is there anything anyone can do to help out?
"That's what I'd look like if I was badass" Friend on seeing Dr Who for the first time.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 10. Feb 14, 17:26

I am looking for play testers while I sort out what I'm going to do with Mox's ships.

If I get permission to use Mox's ships, this is a forum release (once the music is sorted). If not, this will not be released.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to help play test it, join us on a text only Skype channel by adding Litcube.

To be a play tester, you are required to make regular comments.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sat, 15. Mar 14, 12:38

Saw some folks talking about this on 4chan.

Dudes, I'm not German.

Anyway, there's a wiki coming up shortly that explains in more details what this thing is all about and how to download it. You will still need to contact me privately for the download link.

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Mon, 17. Mar 14, 19:03

Litcube wrote:Saw some folks talking about this on 4chan.

Dudes, I'm not German.
lolol
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”