[Mod Help] Activating gates without a new game start

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Peter Hull
x3tc

[Mod Help] Activating gates without a new game start

Post by Peter Hull » Sun, 12. Oct 14, 01:49

Hi all. I've made a small mod that puts a gate in Maelstrom near the Transcend gate connecting to a new gate in DeVries. All seems to be working ok with new game starts. However I would like to activate the gates without the need of a fresh start. (if this is possible)
I think some form of MD script is required, but can only find examples that activate all gates with a new game start.
Any help would be appreciated.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 12. Oct 14, 02:48

do the same that the ones which unlock the game for a new gamestart in a new mdscript - since the mdscript didnt exist before it will be executed, even if it is no fresh game ;) just use some condition which still applies then, like <player_age min="10s" /> and note that you cannt simply add additional Gates by changing your File with this method, you need a new Script each time you add a new set of Gates (MD experts may correct me here ;) )
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Peter Hull
x3tc

Post by Peter Hull » Sun, 12. Oct 14, 02:57

Thank you, will try that tomorrow.

Peter Hull
x3tc

Post by Peter Hull » Mon, 13. Oct 14, 09:30

Hi all, well I spent a whole day tinkering with my MD script, still can only activate my new gates by re starting a plot. I began to wonder if my script was loading at all, so i changed some parameter to make the script faulty and look at the debug log. That was interesting- it gave me an error for every save game in the 'save game folder'. seems scripts are loaded only when re-starting Rebirth.
Perhaps starting again is not a bad thing, I'm using the script format from 'Modders playground' as this seems to work best.
P.S. my knowledge of script writing is zero! Probably someone with more experience would have success.

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Mon, 13. Oct 14, 17:25

When changing MD folder scripts you have another option to save time. In controls advanced (in game) assign a key to the debug command line. I use [ on my uk kb.

Open the command line and type

REFRESHMD

(caps will be forced) This reloads all MD scripts as if you had restarted the game. This won't work if you mod libraries, macros, ai or anything else though :(

The gates opening are handled by the Open_Jumpgates_Lib cue in Setup.xml which is called normally by the plot or by starting a new free play game. You can call this like a function

Code: Select all

<signal_cue_instantly cue="Open_Jumpgates_Lib"/>
say from a cue that triggers on game load or whatever :)
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

Peter Hull
x3tc

Post by Peter Hull » Mon, 13. Oct 14, 22:09

@ YorrickVander
Thank you for your help, this is useful info.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”