EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

[MOD] Realistic Highways (v1.1 - Nov 19, 2013)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nifter

modified
PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 06:40    Post subject: [MOD] Realistic Highways (v1.1 - Nov 19, 2013) Reply with quote Print

I made a mod to remove some of the mini-game mechanics and unrealistic effect of the highways. Although at this point, maybe I should call it Better Highways instead of Realistic Highways? Anyway you look at it it's not realistic to have a highway in space. Razz

Description
--------------------

I split the mod into multiple modules:

1. Remove the speed boosting/drafting gameplay effect.
Gets rid of the mini-game effect of magnetically flying behind ships. Ships now just fly through each other at their regular speed.

2. Remove fake traffic.
Gets rid of the fake ships that appear out of nowhere and disappear at the end of the highway. The real ships (ie. those with a border) will still be seen entering, flying, and leaving the highway.

3. Double your ship's engine boost speed within highways.
Used to compensate for the increased travel time for the extra impatient!

I have made the ship's engine booster unlimited in highways in order to compensate for the reduced speed without the extra traffic or drafting mechanic.

Change Log
--------------------

Version 1.1 [November 19, 2013]
- added unlimited ship engine boost in highways
- added double boost speed mod option

Version 1.0 [November 18, 2013]
- initial release

Download
--------------------

I have provided 6 different mod folders. Read carefully and pick the one you want and copy into your "X Rebirth/extensions" folder.

Last edited by Nifter on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 05:25; edited 5 times in total
Hornet108

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 07:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Fantastic. The more un-arcadey we can make this game the better. Let's get it back to being a real X game, not some dumbed-down-for-console bull asap.

MutantDwarf

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 07:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hornet108 wrote:
Fantastic. The more un-arcadey we can make this game the better. Let's get it back to being a real X game, not some dumbed-down-for-console bull asap.

This mod has nothing to do with arcadey or dumbed-down-for-console stuff, so I'm not sure what this post has to do with this thread.

Anyways, good work. Did you increase the highway speed to compensate for removing the minigame? If so, how does it compare? Is it 'always max speed', 'always half speed', or what?

The way I'd really prefer it is 'you go half speed normally but can boost to max speed, but if you're behind a ship you slow down to match their speed but do not speed up to match it'. That way you don't go sailing through other ships as if they aren't there.

TheShadowofSins

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Instead of compensating the speed !
Make the boost faster and last longer in the highway, because actually it is not really useful to boost inside a highway, when it last only 2 seconds.

I don't want to see another mod with hyper fast highways and no control on your speed that make you miss your exit. I really appreciate sometimes to take my time and look at the surroundings.

n!ghtshade

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 08:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The highway becomes more opaque where another ship is flying through. Would it be possible to keep that effect and the speed boost without the fake ship and say that it's just an inherent property of the highway system that some lanes are sped up due to some technical reason? That way you still have the mini game providing an optional speed bonus without having to crawl up some ghost ships exhaust pipe.

Pharoah

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 08:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

TheShadowofSins wrote:
Instead of compensating the speed !
Make the boost faster and last longer in the highway, because actually it is not really useful to boost inside a highway, when it last only 2 seconds.

I don't want to see another mod with hyper fast highways and no control on your speed that make you miss your exit. I really appreciate sometimes to take my time and look at the surroundings.

How about 100% speed during empty space portions of highway, and 25% near exiting portions of highway, assuming that's even possible.

Bell230

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Pharoah wrote:

How about 100% speed during empty space portions of highway, and 25% near exiting portions of highway, assuming that's even possible.

I personally prefer some kind of speed control so you can decide yourself. Combined with an automatic deceleration next to highway exits. For example:
- speed set to 0 -> min. highway speed (not "hiding" behind any ship)
- speed set to 100 (+Booster) -> max. highway speed

At the moment this might be hard to implement but this kind of speed control inside highways would be awesome Very Happy

Demongornot

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Great mods but i will not use it yet cause their is nothing for compensating the missing traffic attraction...

Like other say i also expect boost to be use way more longer and give us way more speed, something like 10 seconds for reach the max speed but booster can stand 25 seconds on minimum shield and 5 seconds for loose our gained speed for example...
It mean able to reach high speed (the maximum) but accelerate slower enough to avoid to accelerate too much, booster able to lets us keep the max/same speed for at least 15 seconds and decelerate not too fast for avoid to always between booster burst to need to back from minimum speed but also not too long cause if we reduce boost its most of the time for leave and we can't stand 10 seconds deceleration !

Also no "ejection" when leaving it, leaving it with slower speed and maybe add a small acceleration for NPC ship that leave it, their will not be any bad looking slow traffic at the end of the highway and we will exit at the same speed than them, it mean really see them and get realistic effect !
And it will be perfect !

Last hope for X Rebirth is that Egosoft stop to be arrogant and stupid and give access to Source Code for public.
Libertine

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

nice one...gonna give it a try tonight...the minigame really annoyed me

Katorone

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

TheShadowofSins wrote:

Agreed! Personally I'm holding out for a mod that adds a cruise drive to the Skunk that has a warm-up time (so it can't be abused in battle) but no energy usage.
This way highways can be skipped completely.

enenra

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Use this. Smile

Realspace

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Nov 13, 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Katorone wrote:
TheShadowofSins wrote:

Agreed! Personally I'm holding out for a mod that adds a cruise drive to the Skunk that has a warm-up time (so it can't be abused in battle) but no energy usage.

I did one, see my signature.

My approach is to completely remove the local lanes and let only the super highways, mybe we can share info on this, I'm going to use your mod for removing the fake ships from the super hw, it is needed.

I had completelly missed an highway...xml file inside the libraries, OMG...great, that's why a big active modding community is so useful, you quickly learn the game's little secrets Very Happy

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353399
X Rebirth Backgrounds Mod:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349849
X3 TC Backgrounds and Planets Mod:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=335218
Mad_Joker

PostPosted: Wed, 20. Nov 13, 00:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

On highway speed: I have tried many different things to affect the speed, but nothing worked.

I have changed almost every value in the tubeconfigurations in highwayconfigurations.xml.

I have also changed the basevalues for highways in controlschemes_default.xml. Though I couldn't find the values in the macros that are mentioned in the comments of controlschemes_default.xml.

I wish you good luck with this, since I would really like fast highways without a minigame.

Better Speed Control (V1.1, 26th Nov 2013)
[Library] LibMJ (V0.0.1 - 1st May 2014)
DaMuncha

PostPosted: Wed, 20. Nov 13, 03:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@Realspace

I cant wait till someone makes XR look like the pics from your X3 Backgrounds mod. Perhaps you could port that over or make new sectors using those backgrounds?

Raider480

PostPosted: Wed, 20. Nov 13, 04:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Katorone wrote:
Personally I'm holding out for a mod that adds a cruise drive to the Skunk that has a warm-up time (so it can't be abused in battle) but no energy usage.

Didn't Freelancer give us (exactly) that something like a decade ago? Rolling Eyes