What does "Be good,.. MIND!" even mean?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chikatilo

Post by chikatilo » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 02:47

nathanpinard wrote:It's much more awkward when Yisha talks about you going around and you can loot crates and your character says "What's wrong with you?"

It's so left field.
Yisha isn't awkward, she's scary, she scares the hell out of me, she should be a baddie in metro last light or something.

That thing she does everytime you get on the skunk, while i'm flying around space I always fear she's going to cut off my right ear or smth.

dat bitch be crazy

SunofVich
x3

Post by SunofVich » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:13

I am a native English speaker and I ain't got a clue.

Tiberseptim
x4

Post by Tiberseptim » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:29

chikatilo wrote:
nathanpinard wrote:It's much more awkward when Yisha talks about you going around and you can loot crates and your character says "What's wrong with you?"

It's so left field.
Yisha isn't awkward, she's scary, she scares the hell out of me, she should be a baddie in metro last light or something.

That thing she does everytime you get on the skunk, while i'm flying around space I always fear she's going to cut off my right ear or smth.

dat bitch be crazy
I like to think of her as some sort of terrifying space vampire who broke into my ship and is holding me hostage forcing me to run errands for her in exchange for not killing me.

khemeher

Re: What does "Be good,.. MIND!" even mean?

Post by khemeher » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:33

What it means is that Egosoft needs to find better dialogue writers.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

chikatilo

Post by chikatilo » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:35

Tiberseptim wrote:I like to think of her as some sort of terrifying space vampire who broke into my ship and is holding me hostage forcing me to run errands for her in exchange for not killing me.
Glad I'm not the only one making up lore to put some weird ass things in perspective, I thought I was losing it

chikatilo

Post by chikatilo » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:35

space vampire :D

Tiberseptim
x4

Post by Tiberseptim » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:57

chikatilo wrote:
Tiberseptim wrote:I like to think of her as some sort of terrifying space vampire who broke into my ship and is holding me hostage forcing me to run errands for her in exchange for not killing me.
Glad I'm not the only one making up lore to put some weird ass things in perspective, I thought I was losing it
Well then let me tell abotu the time the berryl syndicate cloned 10 of the strangest looking sad old bald people in the x universe and then sent that army of ugly clones to invade Unexpectedly, they did actually win and were granted homesteads far and wide. Apple did try to recruit several, but was ultimately thwarted by err things and so they just kind of moved in and stand around on stations forever pretending to be doing things that they seem to make any progress at or come close to ever finishing.

Zorvan
x3tc

Post by Zorvan » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 04:42

The most popular mod will be the one that disables voices.

Wilson1133
x4

Post by Wilson1133 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 04:52

It's so left field.
"But I'm not really a "Hackey" Sorta guy...."

That was my second favorite after the one you mentioned :lol:

Kolreth
x4

Post by Kolreth » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 04:57

It might just be something that doesn't translate well from german. An example : there is a german metal band called Dew Scented. I think we all agree, that's a hilarious name for a metal band. Except they're german and it's a commonly used Poe reference in their language with dark and forboding overtones. It doesn't translate well when the phrase is made english.

Them germans have a word for everything.

Tiberseptim
x4

Post by Tiberseptim » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 05:02

Kolreth wrote:It might just be something that doesn't translate well from german. An example : there is a german metal band called Dew Scented. I think we all agree, that's a hilarious name for a metal band. Except they're german and it's a commonly used Poe reference in their language with dark and forboding overtones. It doesn't translate well when the phrase is made english.

Them germans have a word for everything.
They do, but their best one is trockenbeerenauslese because it's delicious. Also when you say say it with correct pronunciation when ordering wine, people make the mistake of thinking you know what you're doing. That's what's awesome about german - even their words for sweet tasting desert wine can also project an air of authority and competence.

Helken Mootyflops
x4

Post by Helken Mootyflops » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:22

rujikin wrote:
chikatilo wrote:English isn't my native language but it's been many many years since I didn't understand an English word or sentence.

However, "Be good,.. MIND" can someone plz explain to me what that even means?

I tried looking it up in a dictionary but couldn't find anything that makes any sense.
English is my first and only human language and even I have no clue what they mean. It doesn't make sense grammatically or in terms of slang.
English is my first language, it is an extremely common colloquialism, although I don't think there's anywhere that everyone uses it except Wales. You could certainly hear it in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, several English-speaking bits of the West Indies (eg: you can hear this in Jamaica, Trinidad), some bits of the Southern States of the USA, New Zealand and Australia.

I don't know why it's turning into a thing. Probably sounds odd to English-speaking Germans, I guess. :)

It is, as lordgeryon says, a contraction of "mind you" which is like "be aware" or "pay mind to my words" and can have therefore have different colourations depending on the context. In the context of "be good, mind" it is about equivalent to "OK?" with a raised eyebrow, the suggestion that the person saying it is well aware you might not, or playfully suggesting you might be a rogue.

You might also say when talking about a millionaire "he gives a lot to charity, mind" in which case it is equivalent to "so there's that", or "which is an opposing point".

It is often used to point to an unspoken but probably obvious subtext. "He's English, mind...".

As a conjunction it is the same thing but more explicit, so "mind" or "mind you" can be considered roughly equivalent to "importantly" or "on the other hand".

Forgive the horrible explanation as I am barely awake yet, but HTH if you were genuinely confused.
Last edited by Helken Mootyflops on Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:49, edited 7 times in total.

Black_Sails
x3tc

Post by Black_Sails » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:34

Zorvan wrote:The most popular mod will be the one that disables voices.
I think an even better mod would be one where you have the ability to "call" Yisha as part of the crew, and use the "work here" option at some random construction platform in the middle of nowhere.

Grimmeehh
x3tc

Post by Grimmeehh » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:35

It's so left field.
I quite enjoyed that ! May have got a slight chuckle - it's a joke on every single rpg in existence where you just go looting boxes. I actually quite like some of Yisha's stuff. It's the station and 'minigame' stuff that is drivel, especially as you have to repeat it often if you want to look for discounts and can't skip it. I like the idea, it just needs.. tweaking.
Somewhere in the South West

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:45

Zorvan wrote:The most popular mod will be the one that disables voices.
I think it's already available. Check the Scripts and Modding sub-forum.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

chikatilo

Post by chikatilo » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:55

Helken Mootyflops wrote:
rujikin wrote:
chikatilo wrote:English isn't my native language but it's been many many years since I didn't understand an English word or sentence.

I tried looking it up in a dictionary but couldn't find anything that makes any sense.
English is my first and only human language and even I have no clue what they mean. It doesn't make sense grammatically or in terms of slang.
English is my first language, it is an extremely common colloquialism, although I don't think there's anywhere that everyone uses it except Wales. You could certainly hear it in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, several English-speaking bits of the West Indies (eg: you can hear this in Jamaica, Trinidad), some bits of the Southern States of the USA, New Zealand and Australia.

I don't know why it's turning into a thing. Probably sounds odd to English-speaking Germans, I guess. :)

It is, as lordgeryon says, a contraction of "mind you" which is like "be aware" or "pay mind to my words" and can have therefore have different colourations depending on the context. In the context of "be good, mind" it is about equivalent to "OK?" with a raised eyebrow, the suggestion that the person saying it is well aware you might not, or playfully suggesting you might be a rogue.

You might also say when talking about a millionaire "he gives a lot to charity, mind" in which case it is equivalent to "so there's that", or "which is an opposing point".

It is often used to point to an unspoken but probably obvious subtext. "He's English, mind...".

As a conjunction it is the same thing but more explicit, so "mind" or "mind you" can be considered roughly equivalent to "importantly" or "on the other hand".

Forgive the horrible explanation as I am barely awake yet, but HTH if you were genuinely confused.
I was genuinely confused and your explanation was excellent. Thank you.
Had never heard this or couldn't ind an explanation for it.

TinkerToy
x4

Post by TinkerToy » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 13:08

chikatilo wrote:
Helken Mootyflops wrote:
rujikin wrote:

I was genuinely confused and your explanation was excellent. Thank you.
Had never heard this or couldn't ind an explanation for it.
Indeed, it's not some alien phrase.

Except when it's delivered in X-Rebirth, because the emphasis and voice inflection is all horribly wrong...

Avaton
x3tc

Post by Avaton » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 13:16

It's like the Canadian "Don'cha know." at the end of some sentences. The fact that the NPC says it like a question makes it sound extremely stupid though.

mononom

Post by mononom » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 13:22

Can someone maybe point to a youtube clip or something where it is said by a real human with an unterstanding of that phrase?

Darkle
x3tc

Post by Darkle » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 13:46

It is a usage that is still common in Northern England. Eg: "(some cautionary statement), mind." With a slight upward inflection on the word mind. This is a form of redundancy to reaffirm that the statement was cautionary.

It is also used in the same way in a contradicting statement, eg:

"Teladi are money-grabbing"
"They aren't all bad, mind"

Edit: how it is actually voiced up in game is pretty poor. Several limes are spoken with the wrong inflections and/or rhythm.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”