X-Rebirth: The story of the failed console game

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KAHR-Alpha

Post by KAHR-Alpha » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:08

realsyntech wrote:
Vengorin wrote:Orly? This piece of crap is what they wanted to play? Sounds like a plain lie to me!
Well, if you look at Bernd's Steam account, he's played the game around 30 hours.

shinai24
x3tc

Post by shinai24 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:08

Best review so far...
http://youtu.be/LxUx96-6-dw

RWolf
x3tc

Post by RWolf » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:11

dubnium wrote:can you seriously reconcile X Rebirth and egosoft not being stupid?
Not sure what to believe on that one. It was however stupid to release an unfinished game, and its full of stupid design choices...Stupid or not though, they dont come across as being honest right now.

The point earlier being one of two possibilities that could lead to where this game was intended for release or not.

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:13

shinai24 wrote:Best review so far...
http://youtu.be/LxUx96-6-dw
Says it all. Not even good enough for consoles….

I’d be surprised if Egosoft survive this shitstorm.

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:29

Thank you for that link!

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUx96-6-dw#t=692

I haven't seen this review until now, but the guy came to the exact same conclusion I did! And his thought process is quite similar.

Obviously, the biggest giveaway was the Xbox controller and how the whole game is designed around it. In the earliest dev videos many months ago we could already see, when they presented some gameplay they always used the xbox controller. Not a third party gamepad, not a joystick, not keyboard+mouse, but specifically an Xbox controller. Coincidence? I don't think so. But there are all the other clues: low res graphics (text on screen is only readable at 720p or lower), botched joystick and other controller support, restricted FOV (around 60, perfect for TV), unbindable and missing hotkeys, drastically simplified gameplay, etc. These are not even speculations, everyone who played the can see it for themselves.

Again, as damning all this sounds I still cannot draw a straight conclusion on what exactly happened, so all this remains mostly a mystery... unless some dev wants to step in and clear the air...

Krogort
x4

Post by Krogort » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:31

Not so failed

[ external image ]

Releasing well marketed garbage seems much more profitable than finelly polished piece of art !

messiahua

Post by messiahua » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:33

Krogort wrote:Releasing well marketed garbage seems much more profitable than finelly polished piece of art !
That's how it always worked, not only for games. That's why major titles spend half of the budget ONLY on marketing. Now it's all about sales.

Baler

Post by Baler » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:35

Game does feel like a bad console game, that was then badly ported to PC.

This fact will never leave the lips of the dev or producer but it's not hard for the community of loyal X fans to see what they've been shoveled and come to an inevitable conclusion.
:roll:

Let's hope our cries of pain will keep them on their toes in future patches. :!:

Edit: It is a SIN to make a PC space game with bad joystick support.

Lorderan

Post by Lorderan » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:45

I think they canceled Xbox development because they ran out of RAM. Thats why you have a modified 32-bit exe that can run more than 4gb (hence the 64-bit requirement even though it is 32-bit). God they really think we're chumps don't they?

cybersabre
x3ap

Post by cybersabre » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:47

lmao this game was designed to be like Mass Effect?

The one ship, the attempted role play, the god awful dialogue. It all makes sense now.

The devs knew this full well and were in damage control mode before it even released.

"Obviously we can't please everyone and include every feature requested. The one ship simply reflects the limitations blah blah blah!"

What a load of crap. It suckered me in. I feel like I have just been stabbed in the side and mugged for £40. They should have taken my kidneys as well.

"Our English speaking consumers are disposable"

Yeah, they actually did say that. :P

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:49

3.8 on metacritic and it keeps dropping.
Seems like people start to understand what they are dealing with.

slimgrin
x3tc

Post by slimgrin » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:07

The console market claims another victim. I had a bad feeling when I saw them constantly touting the controller, but I thought 'this is Egosoft, they've always made PC games.'

It's pretty sad how this scenario keeps playing out over and over in the gaming industry.

maciell

Post by maciell » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:15

I think op have right. But i think u still dont see whole picture. I think too , they first make this game for xbox 360. But that dont happend beacuse x360 cant handle this game. Look how this game is working on monsters i5/i7/sli/ssd/16 gb rams not even mention about 2 years old pc . I dont see how this will be working on 7 years consoles. So i think they have new plan. Xbox one and ps 4 like devs said is basically pc with close hardware/soft. Both companies non stop say how easy is write game on their console. We see muli platform is new motto . We constanly see games from console on pc and vice versa or have relase on all platforms beacuse they make this way more moneys. I think we are now piggy bank/ paying testers (we pay them 50 euro/dollars) to make relase on xbox one or ps4 or both.

I see CCP Eve Online and relase Dust 514 on PS 3 again.

I think Egosoft lie all the time and i never be trust them again. WE are for them free labor (modders, testers) and piggy bank when they need money.

Fascism is Magic
x3ap

Post by Fascism is Magic » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:20

Lorderan wrote:I think they canceled Xbox development because they ran out of RAM. Thats why you have a modified 32-bit exe that can run more than 4gb (hence the 64-bit requirement even though it is 32-bit). God they really think we're chumps don't they?
But the first Xbox was 64-bit?

There's really no excuse. This sort of game isn't acceptable on consoles either.

yogs
x3tc

Post by yogs » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:22

Do not believe their lies. Xbox360 markers in the shaders file.

http://i.imgur.com/8H5fsDy.png

slimgrin
x3tc

Post by slimgrin » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:22

Being influenced by Mass Effect isn't a bad thing, but Egosoft clearly doesn't have the design experience or the writing prowess to even go near that type of gameplay. I think what happened is they based their design choices on what they thought a broader audience would like, as opposed to the core space-sim fans.

penguinemperor
x3ap

Post by penguinemperor » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:28

I've been a fan of the X series since X3: Reunion, and yes, I've just made an account just to post this, but take a look at this picture: http://i.imgur.com/8H5fsDy.png

This was inside the shaderfx directory of 02.cat. Kind of supports the theory that this was originally intended for the Xbox 360...

Fascism is Magic
x3ap

Post by Fascism is Magic » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:28

yogs wrote:Do not believe their lies. Xbox360 markers in the shaders file.

http://i.imgur.com/8H5fsDy.png
I was going to say that DirectX inserts a lot of platform specific tags in templates, but those aren't showing up in any searches. Welp!

maciell

Post by maciell » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:39

penguinemperor wrote:I've been a fan of the X series since X3: Reunion, and yes, I've just made an account just to post this, but take a look at this picture: http://i.imgur.com/8H5fsDy.png

This was inside the shaderfx directory of 02.cat. Kind of supports the theory that this was originally intended for the Xbox 360...
Where is this "shaderfx" directory. I cant find any in my disk.

Exy

Post by Exy » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 15:42

penguinemperor wrote:I've been a fan of the X series since X3: Reunion, and yes, I've just made an account just to post this, but take a look at this picture: http://i.imgur.com/8H5fsDy.png

What are you using the open the .cat files? I would like to search all files for the word Xbox...

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”