boarding ships

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

have you capped a Q

yes
36%
no
64%

Total votes: 11

Makoaman

boarding ships

Post by Makoaman » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 10:33

As veterans to the x series, we have all capped ships. From the first time we heard "alright I'm leaving my ship" to when we capped the famous Hyperion Vanguard or the awesome aggy, or even caped our verry first Q, we have come to realise that caping truely is an art form

I belive we all have different ways of doing it... So let's here them. We will start with the Q. How did you go about caping one of these if u have.

If u have an interesting capping story, then tell it.

Tell us how u capped the Hyperion if you didn't do the poisoned paranid start. Or perhaps tell us about what your favorite method for caping is.
Explore the universe, question everything.

nponoBegHuk
x4

Post by nponoBegHuk » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:45

Capping Q was easy, compared to the time I had to invest to train 21 marines and get the Sirokos. I even released a video on how to do it on my second capture.

Hyperion Vanguard, though, was a lot more difficult challenge. Very quick ship which kept shooting pods down, I felt like a newbie on a verge of crying and it took many attempts. Don't want to repeat that experience. Ever.

IIRC the strategy that worked was park Cobra 30km away from the gate, get fast and good shielded m3, draw Hyperion's attention and pull him away from the gate, strip shields, command Cobra to board, save game with pods flying to board and then a lot of reloads trying to get them actually to land.
Fast sector selection on the Universe Map | Rock locations for Mobile/OOS mining | Botting for max speed Hyperion | Complete list of ship sources | Capturing smaller ships

My current ship collection:
11 out of 11 *retired* ships found
17 out of 17 *unique* ships found
9 out of 9 *limited* ships found
16 out of 16 *rare* ships found

Makoaman

Post by Makoaman » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:58

Ah yes the infamous Hyperion. i feel like that is the easiest thing about capping a Q is that its a lot slower and its hull does not go down as fast. my strategy for capping the Hyperion was quite similar. only instead of an m3 i used a heavy centaur equipped with all ion D's. still took a lot of reloads.
Explore the universe, question everything.

AN7AG0NIS7
x4

Post by AN7AG0NIS7 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 06:17

I've never boarded a Q before but I've boarded 8 Hyperions so far in my ~200 hrs career (putting them in my Valhalla).

The way I do it is with a Heavy Osprey packing PBEs in all mounts, 8 marines and a turbo booster.

Follow from behind at around <1km away (you can usually match the Hyperion's speed when she's just idling/flying aimlessly in a sector) and scan her if you want (doesn't really matter as 8 fully trained marines can successfully board even if she's equipped HPD/ISL/advance firewall). Then just bring the shields down, release the marines and she'll turn around and fly straight into the marines (just make sure you get out of her way).

Then it's just a matter of keeping the shields down until your marines are in and then turbo boosting out of harms way.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”