Hacking hostile stations

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

XenonSurf
x2

Hacking hostile stations

Post by XenonSurf » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 03:57

After spending some time hacking ships with my Trojan to collect cargo, this time I tried the hacking stuff with stations. I know you can do it from inside hacking terminals first to disable security or else, but I decided to do it from outside immediately.

For my first try I have chosen a hostile AES station that doesn't quite shoot at me on sight yet with a rep of -13.

I have positioned my Titurel with about 20 cargo drones at a point above the station, scanned it to find the most expensive wares, set the guidance and went to my Trojan. After clicking the target and 'Drone Hack' I got a serie of hacking targets.
Well, first disapointment: I cannot quicksave from within a drone, so I have to be right on every minigame :D
When I finally achieved with success hacking 3 targets (after x quicksave reloads) comes my 2nd disapointment: I get a 'Hacking successful' but if I return to my Skunk and go into the Cargo Collect mode, no sir, no cargo anywhere :evil:
And my drone didn't even get scanned that time. All my work for nothing.

So my questions are:

1) Is it possible to hack hostile stations ?
2) Is it possible to hack a station from outside only?
3) Is it true that your rep can increase after a successful station hack (I've read this in some post) ?

I will now try the same on some neutral stations.

Thanks for your feedbacks and ideas :)

XenonS

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 04:57

For station to drop wares, as far as I know you have to hack the storage modules, anyway, they changed how it worked so I can tell you now that no, you cannot hack stations from outside only. Ok you can, but the moment you try picking up the wares with cargo collect the station will open fire on you and your support ship.

For it to work, you need to dock, start looking for all the items needed to hack the inside terminals and disable the turrets, then go and do the outside hack to drop the wares.

In my opinion they made a convolute mess of something that only needed a bit of balancing in the amount of loot you get for doing it. Maybe a bit of work on police patrols too.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 05:20

Hi santi,
thanks to make it clear for me. When I think twice about what i did , well, it's logical that it was not successful, not disabling security first.
I found it much interesting and of a challenge to escape the numerous scans on my drone, I had to go back several times to my Skunk and retry...

So, hostile stations cannot be hacked because you won't be able to get inside.

I'm just doing the same against neutral stations, and here the same difficulties. So I have to go inside which means : 2x or 3x more minigames...

Thanks,
XenonS

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 21:53

Humm... In theory you should be able to sabotage an entire hostile station by placing mines from the Traitor Drone on any important station part, especially the turrets. Then I wonder if you succeed by hacking with the Trojan drone for getting the station's dropped cargo.
I would also have to ged rid of all those nasty police ships first, after detonating the mines maybe.

The problem is: It takes a very long time because there are so many station turrets :D
Also I was not able yet to locate these deadly missile launchers.

Is there any CAP ship that will resist for some time against the station's firing? An Arawn, Phoenix or Fulmekron maybe? If yes, then I could use such a ship to order 'Attack' against the turrets, but I'll have a hard time to survive myself...

XenonS

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Mon, 31. Aug 15, 19:31

I've found the best way is to stock up on astrobees and hellbusters. Fly around and blow all the turrets off the station, then hack it and call in your cargo ship.

A Fulmekron and an Arawn can both take quite a bit of punishment before they need to retreat. But you'd be hard pressed to get a cargo vessel in, have it deploy it's cargo drones, then get out of firing range before you had to pull your Arawn out of fire.

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Wed, 2. Sep 15, 03:59

jkflipflop98 wrote:I've found the best way is to stock up on astrobees and hellbusters. Fly around and blow all the turrets off the station, then hack it and call in your cargo ship.

A Fulmekron and an Arawn can both take quite a bit of punishment before they need to retreat. But you'd be hard pressed to get a cargo vessel in, have it deploy it's cargo drones, then get out of firing range before you had to pull your Arawn out of fire.
I tried out different attack scenarios, my Skunk full-loaded with heavy missiles, Tristars, Hellbusters, Astrobees, Novadrones.
The difficult and annoying thing with attacking stations is you cannot select single surface targets like with CAP ships, so you have to know well where these turrets are, fly very near to select them, also the force field projectors.
The hot key for surface targets will not yield any targets, too bad.

[EDIT]
This problem seems to be solvable by having a 'free sight' on the surface target and be close enough. Will have to retry.

XenonS

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”