First time playing X3 : Terran Conflict and feeling kind of a dumb haha

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sigh12

First time playing X3 : Terran Conflict and feeling kind of a dumb haha

Post by Sigh12 » Mon, 21. Oct 13, 04:34

Got burned out of Mount and Blade : Warband, and I love space, so a friend referred me to X3 Terran Conflict...

And I have a habit of modding a game before I play so that I can get the best first impression out of it, in which I preceded to install X-Tended mod.

So I start a new game..pick a storyline? And after 10 minutes vaguely figured out the controls.. but I'm still completely lost haha when it comes what to do, I know what SETA is and whatnot and auto-pilot, but its just so massive I have no idea

Anyone have any tips too get me on my way?

And yeah yeah, you can get mad at me for modding first without playing, but I guess I highly underestimated this game lol.

Larxyz
x3tc

Post by Larxyz » Mon, 21. Oct 13, 09:11

lol, the X serries are not your run of the mill space game :)
It's way more vast that any i can think of.

I suggest you start using something less complete overhaul then the X-Tended since it has its own universe, seperate from the original one.

Really it's better to start without mods in this serries.
Do one of the first start to get a grip on the univrse and abit of the lore.
Then when you find an area that you want improved, add the mods :)
There are mods for most things in the game.

welcome to the X games! :)

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Mon, 21. Oct 13, 12:44

try to get a feel about the trade aspect of this game, take a look
at what factories are producing for a low price and find out where to sell for a high price.

tip : take a look at spacefuel, if you manage to buy it for cheap there are trading stations that buy it from you for a high price (one such place is rather close to Argon Prime if i remember correctly)

further more try to just explore and map sectors and dump some advanced satellites there so you have your eyes and ears there.

welcome and have fun

qwizzie

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Mon, 21. Oct 13, 12:53

Starting off by jumping into X-Tended might not have been the wisest of ideas, as the XTC team almost rebuilt the game from scratch and it require you to have a pretty decent grasp on the basic mechanics on the game.

To put it this way: There are people on this forum who have played TC for years, and there are still aspects of the game that they've never touched. If you're a complete noob I'd highly recommend you start fresh with an unmodded game, spend a week or three learning the basics as the learning curve of even a vanilla game is pretty steep, and then start looking into mods and such. And you might think about starting small, instead of with an universe-altering mod that tend to make things a bit hard even for experienced players :p
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Mon, 21. Oct 13, 18:24

Yeah. If you want to jump into a major mod, XRM isn't a bad choice; XTC is a bigger overhaul and changes a lot more.

Play through the basic Terran plot, too - it'll guide you through a few things.

Treelor
x4

Post by Treelor » Tue, 22. Oct 13, 08:06

Not to mention it'll give you a bunch of ships, including one very rare and powerful.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Wed, 23. Oct 13, 09:42

I'd not recommend choosing XTC on first time experience. This mod is a total conversion situated on a different map with many things totally different than in vanilla. You should get around the vanilla with a few basic mods to understand basic mechanics and gameplay. I'd only advise Combat Mod (to make space battles more exciting), Cockpit mod maybe and some popular scripts and that's it.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

celem
x3ap

Post by celem » Wed, 23. Oct 13, 13:43

Lots of people advising something more vanilla out of the gate. I'd probably agree here.

At least consider vanilla with select smaller mods over a full conversion.

The main reason I would advise for doing this is that there are a wealth of guides, youtube tutorials etc etc available for this game, but most are going to revolve around vanilla. Some tactics and tricks may work in other mods too, but its easier to follow someone else's advice if you are both on the same page (in this case version XD)

Schultski

Re: First time playing X3 : Terran Conflict and feeling kind of a dumb haha

Post by Schultski » Mon, 28. Oct 13, 22:43

Got burned out of Mount and Blade : Warband, and I love space, so a friend referred me to X3 Terran Conflict...
And so, you probably loved Freespace-series and Freelancer, too!
These two, plus X-series, all three are damn-good games!
And I have a habit of modding a game before I play so that I can get the best first impression out of it, in which I preceded to install X-Tended mod.
First time to play easy, plus first time hardest MOD to scratch and bang your head around!
You've defeated most of these all-time X-players, in terms of gutsy-ness!
Well done!
So I start a new game..pick a storyline? And after 10 minutes vaguely figured out the controls.. but I'm still completely lost haha when it comes what to do, I know what SETA is and whatnot and auto-pilot, but its just so massive I have no idea
Congrats to you!
You're the first among many X-players that managed to understand most of its gameplays in under hours, days, or even months!
And yeah yeah, you can get mad at me for modding first without playing, but I guess I highly underestimated this game lol.
Actually, you're not if you're playing a vanilla game. It is the 'X-tended MOD' factor that led you to say 'highly underestimated'...

But... CHEERS, friend!
Anything that goes is welcome!

WELCOME TO THE X-GAMES!!

[NOTE: If you think of my English is a bit 'harsh', then please forgive me, as English is not my first language, and I even still use the 'Google Translate' to translate most of English used in the forums...]

Sincerely,
Schultski Rheindland
[=] Matsu-Taka [=]
Matsuhiko Takagawa / Schultski Rheindland

Know how to best the X-Universe by one shot?
Push the little 'REBOOT' button on your PC, that should do it...
Try it... it works for me... believe it... it works...

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”