[X3R] Teleporting J's Good Grief!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thelebk
x3ap

[X3R] Teleporting J's Good Grief!

Post by thelebk » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 07:30

OK I am doing a Xenon Defense mission in the Pontifus Maximus. Unfortunately the Xenon Jump in a J (tough opponent for an M7!) with a bunch of fighters. I can deal with the fighters but the J has me ranged with its PPC and to make matters worse it only stays in sector for about 7 seconds and then it teleports away! every time it returns it brings new fighters and its shields are recharged. Sure wish I could recharge 3 GJ in 10 seconds like it apparently can! How the heck do I beat this opponent? by the time I can fly within weapons range it ports. By the time my shots get to his position he is long gone. Help! Thanks.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 09:12

Just be patient. Jumpin' Js only do so a certain number of times--after half a dozen jumps or so it will jump back in and *stay* in, giving you an opportunity to destroy it. There are other ways to deal with it (e.g. parking a destroyer in the Xenon sector it comes from and letting that take it out), but they require a lot more preparation (e.g. you have to clear the Xenon sector first).

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 11:21

X3R XI is actually the X2 version carried over.

As a result, capital ships have a very limited loadout - only PPC and 125 MJ shields (which recharge a lot faster that 1 GJ shields indeed).

For the same reason, the J will jump until it has depleted all the fighters it is supposed to carry (using X2 numbers too).
X3R model actually does not have a working hangar, and was replaced in TC.
Right on commander !

Carlo the Curious
x4

Re: [X3R] Teleporting J's Good Grief!

Post by Carlo the Curious » Mon, 9. Sep 13, 11:28

They don't have full shields in XI missions (nor do the Ks) - check on the sector map and you can see. They also tend to jump back into roughly the same spot each time (although it's slightly randomised). M3 + afterburner + 1 hammerhead = dead capital.

However, if you want to make the most money then it's better to let the J go through its jump cycles so you can kill all the fighters. Just make sure your allies don't steal the cap kills.

Another option is lasertowers - 30+ will kill everything pretty fast with minimal effort.

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Wed, 11. Sep 13, 06:49

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately much of the advice I cannot follow... If I had a destroyer I would be able to kill the J with PPC and not worry about it. Second I cannot use after burner, because even though I have properly installed the bonus pack three separate times, none of the scripts launch. No one from tech support apparently answers the Tech Support forum so no workable solution has been presented. Indeed no one can even diagnose the problem. Third the J seems to Jump in excess of 6 times. I eventually beating it by using the save reload exploit until I could position my ship at exactly the right place. I feel this is cheating and it shatters my suspension of disbelief that I enjoy while playing this Sci-Fi game. I also killed 77 fighters. (The AI ships killed many as well) What X3R carrier holds 90+ M3 fighters? It appears as if the jumps and fighters are both infinite...

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 11. Sep 13, 08:26

As I said, it uses X2 data.
IIRC the X2 J can carry 100 fighters so that is what you can expect.
Since it releases 10 fighters per jump, that should be 10 jumps max.
Last edited by Geek on Thu, 12. Sep 13, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Right on commander !

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Thu, 12. Sep 13, 04:44

Thanks Big G 10 jumps is plausible I think.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”