X-Rebirth, growing fears…

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 12:38

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:YOU ARE FALSE FALSE FALSE
One of my steam friends has already the test version of X Rebirth, I asked him some questions. YOU CAN WALK AROUND CAPITAL SHIPS.
As Bernnd said you can dock and walk in like if it was a station but there is no command bridge, no observation bridge from witch you can command them. All you can do is commanded them through interface while sitting in the skunk cockpit.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 13:17

Observation deck is there for sure. A simple room with a window. That´s all.

And about Bernd... when dudes asked him if player is able to use that intercomm while aboard the capital ship, he said that he doesnt know and that he has to try it himself (no answer yet).

I know one thing: they will add a "RTS-like tactical interface", but later after release, via patch. You will be able to use it from the board of Skunk and from the deck of capital ship definitely.

So we have to hope that player is able to talk with captain about orders from the deck of capital ship.
If not, then I will have to leave the capital ship, enter Skunk, undock, give a command, then dock again. That sounds totally dumb.

triplecrownroyal

Post by triplecrownroyal » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 14:06

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Observation deck is there for sure. A simple room with a window. That´s all.

And about Bernd... when dudes asked him if player is able to use that intercomm while aboard the capital ship, he said that he doesnt know and that he has to try it himself (no answer yet).

I know one thing: they will add a "RTS-like tactical interface", but later after release, via patch. You will be able to use it from the board of Skunk and from the deck of capital ship definitely.

So we have to hope that player is able to talk with captain about orders from the deck of capital ship.
If not, then I will have to leave the capital ship, enter Skunk, undock, give a command, then dock again. That sounds totally dumb.
It has already been said that while you are in first person walking mode if you come across the window you will not see action out through it. They simply do not have the resources to do window facing and simulate OOS calculations into graphics for you while you walk.

Also they have no command bridge and has been stated over and over that walking around a capital and commanding one are two different things. Wishful thinking at best but don't try and convince people of features that are not there.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 14:16

Who was speaking about command bridge? I mentioned only observation deck.

And you can already see in some videos, where the player walks around station, that you can see whats happening outside.

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 14:18

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:YOU ARE FALSE FALSE FALSE
One of my steam friends has already the test version of X Rebirth, I asked him some questions. YOU CAN WALK AROUND CAPITAL SHIPS.
Aren't you getting your friend in trouble? He probably signed NDA...

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 14:39

You can in fact even land on these beasts and get out of your playership to meet NPCs while watching the large ship move around in space FROM the deck of the ship!
IS ACTUALLY A COMMON KNOWN INFORMATION. Why doesn´t anybody read the stickies??? Omfg.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 14:41

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:And you can already see in some videos, where the player walks around station
I don't think I've seen that and I'm looking for it all the time. But all videos indicates that space and walking are two modes. You never walk while in space. Even on Skunk it's just animation until doors behind you are closed and then you cannot see what's outside. Never saw window. In truth I also think that "outside" is OOS now and is not simulated as it is while you are in cockpit. Furthermore I believe that dock and undock immediately will "change" the universe. So you will see different fights, different filler ships etc.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 14:48

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:
You can in fact even land on these beasts and get out of your playership to meet NPCs while watching the large ship move around in space FROM the deck of the ship!
IS ACTUALLY A COMMON KNOWN INFORMATION. Why doesn´t anybody read the stickies??? Omfg.

Alci wrote:
Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:And you can already see in some videos, where the player walks around station
I don't think I've seen that and I'm looking for it all the time. But all videos indicates that space and walking are two modes. You never walk while in space. Even on Skunk it's just animation until doors behind you are closed and then you cannot see what's outside. Never saw window. In truth I also think that "outside" is OOS now and is not simulated as it is while you are in cockpit. Furthermore I believe that dock and undock immediately will "change" the universe. So you will see different fights, different filler ships etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNs1rdSk ... n1FVRsDYGw
check the video and focus on 0:25, you can even see a station, highway and a planet in background. There are some freight transporters at the right side of the screen, too. Also search for different videos, the background always changes, its definitely not a "wallpaper".

Furthermore I believe that dock and undock immediately will "change" the universe. So you will see different fights, different filler ships etc.
^^^^Now Iam not sure if you are retarded or just dumb. Every ship in the universe is a physical ship, they are not randomly placed. Everything is manufactured and built from resources, and lives. By docking on a station, nothing will change in the universe.
Same as in previous games, if you leave a sector, life doesnt stop, but it continues without your presence. The whole universe lives, even though you are away.

triplecrownroyal

Post by triplecrownroyal » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:22

Earth, I see a looping filler video that probably changes based on what station or place you are at, but certainly do not see the ability to watch fights happen outside the window after you have docked and got out.

What you are asking for would be a coders nightmare, something to the tune of directional awareness from two separate parts of the game and a ton of specialized graphics scaling and interaction placed inside a ever changing window size based on where you are standing. It was discussed before, I don't have time to find it, and it was even discussed over on SC forums. Neither game will have the ability to see the actual happenings of the universe from a window of a station.

We understand that you are excited for Rebirth, and I am happy for you. But don't misinform others based on your zeal.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:36

A quote from Bernd himself:
Do you want to say that Bernd is misinforming the community?
Do you have any proofs that it isn´t true? No you don´t.

And there is absolutely no reason to make it the nightmare of coders.
You wanted to say that its a nightmare of optimalisation, didnt you?

When you leave the Skunk, it will load the interior, during the door animation. It´s just another piece of textures and characters. Most probably, the render distance or level of detail of the outer space will be smaller while being inside of station.

And have a look at the system requirements of that game. Pretty high. Probably the highest system requirements I remember so far, from the gaming world.

The reason for high requirements is the fact that the whole universe is living, every ship, every station is doing something at each moment.

And what do you know, maybe the "door" animation is actually un-loading the cockpit, and loading the station interior? It´s NOT a coder nightmare. Only optimalisation is quite risky, requires some experience.
Last edited by Earth Ultimatum IV. on Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:41

triplecrownroyal wrote:Earth, I see a looping filler video that probably changes
You see incorrectly.

Imari
x4

Post by Imari » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:43

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Observation deck is there for sure. A simple room with a window. That´s all.

The RTS interface really piques my interest. This will probably be the most welcomed and game changing addition to X Rebirth. I sure hope "later" means a few days after release.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:44

Shootist wrote:
triplecrownroyal wrote:Earth, I see a looping filler video that probably changes
You see incorrectly.

And check out the profile of tripleclown:
Registered 18. 8. 1013
And has no X games registered at his profile.

Seriously? THis dude is talking about coding of X Rebirth. But its actually a newcomer to the X series.

Really now. Egosoft wanted to make the game open for more people, but as it looks like, it brings only assh0l€s to the forums. Who are not going to buy the game anyway.
Last edited by Earth Ultimatum IV. on Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:48

Shootist wrote:
You see incorrectly.

And check out the profile of that guy:
Registered 18. 8. 1013
It proves nothing. I've been playing X games for 4 years before registering here. I've been playing Europa Universalis for 10 years before registering on Paradox forum.
This guy could be playing since X-BTF, you don't know that.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:52

I actually know, his words prove that he is a newcomer.

When you docked at a station in X2 or even X:BTF, the outer world was still moving.
Why should it be different in X Rebirth?

Plus that video totally proves it. Even Bernd´s quote proves it.

When you can be inside of a capital ship, watching the outer action, why cant you do it inside of a station too? Its practically the very same thing, but capital ship is moving.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:58

stilgarpl wrote:
Shootist wrote:
You see incorrectly.

And check out the profile of that guy:
Registered 18. 8. 1013
It proves nothing. I've been playing X games for 4 years before registering here. I've been playing Europa Universalis for 10 years before registering on Paradox forum.
This guy could be playing since X-BTF, you don't know that.
I guess the solution is to not feed the short term trolls.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 16:58

triplecrownroyal wrote:Earth, I see a looping filler video that probably changes based on what station or place you are at, but certainly do not see the ability to watch fights happen outside the window after you have docked and got out.

What you are asking for would be a coders nightmare, something to the tune of directional awareness from two separate parts of the game and a ton of specialized graphics scaling and interaction placed inside a ever changing window size based on where you are standing. It was discussed before, I don't have time to find it, and it was even discussed over on SC forums. Neither game will have the ability to see the actual happenings of the universe from a window of a station.

We understand that you are excited for Rebirth, and I am happy for you. But don't misinform others based on your zeal.
Actually, it is not that hard to do (I am speaking as a software engineer).

The issues are either with occlusion culling (not hard but expensive on the GPU perhaps) or mapping a view of the 3D world to a polygon (a bit more complex but it is still not that advanced in maths terms).

If I were to wager on this, I would probably bet on occlusion culling being used if the space is visible from portals/viewing lounges. The standard cockpit would appear to be using exactly this feature so it would certainly stand to reason.

The other way round (viewing people inside stations) on the other hand is a different matter.

We will only know for certain at release though.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 17:00

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:I actually know, his words prove that he is a newcomer.

When you docked at a station in X2 or even X:BTF, the outer world was still moving.
Oh, I agree with you on that. I don't know why would they "play a movie" when you can see ships in all other X games... I'm just saying "you are new, you know nothing" is not a very good argument.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 17:04

stilgarpl wrote:
Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:I actually know, his words prove that he is a newcomer.

Oh, I agree with you on that. I don't know why would they "play a movie" when you can see ships in all other X games... I'm just saying "you are new, you know nothing" is not a very good argument.
The heck it isn't. "Your" (not you, mind you) ignorance precludes you from being listened to and you will be called out on your ignorant trolling (which is what he was doing, eh?).

triplecrownroyal

Post by triplecrownroyal » Sun, 29. Sep 13, 19:05

Shootist wrote:
stilgarpl wrote:

The heck it isn't. "Your" (not you, mind you) ignorance precludes you from being listened to and you will be called out on your ignorant trolling (which is what he was doing, eh?).
By comparison then Earth actually knows nothing because he is 5 years newer than you. And the 2003 guys posting about their issues with this game, well they are infallible like the pope.

That view is extremely childish and does nothing to promote the topic or the game.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”