Ambition and Ambiguity. X3:AP DiD

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 21:19

I only said two seconds because you've never been in a 'real' kill-or-die situation before.
Of course you had your (quite extensive and I'm sure a bit masochistic) training with Jackson and the Suicide Kings, but that has always been in a controlled environment etc.

But still, in that scene you described you went from businessman to badass in two seconds, which is awesome, if I couldn't get that point delivered in my previous post..!

Other things I forgot to mention:
I'm curious how you're going to tell Maddy what happened :P
I really liked the scene about 'Only Jackson could handle her... ...in combat'. Not really sure about it quite yet, but I think it has something that reminds me of this :D
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 22:29

Ahh, makes sense. I probably over-reacted. I'm a bit sensitive to establishing precedent for any ass-pulling I do. I've gone to great lengths to create in-game backup for most things I do with the plot.

I attribute the proper reactions to being 'in the zone'. I've been training for this exact sort of situation every days for weeks. If I'd taken a week off before this, I likely would have frozen and gotten dead. Other rationalizations are already included in the next chapter.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 23:56

It was worthless.

I set the autopilot to jump to Savage Spur via Xenon Core 023, Gaian Star, and Moo-Kye’s Revenge. I only spent about 15 seconds in each sector, so I was in no real danger. The hostile forces in each sector, along with the potential that I had flown off instead of jumped away, should have been enough hassle to dissuade or distract any pursuers. In Savage Spur, I hid off the main grid and swept my ship for tracking devices. The docking logs may have recorded my ship and identity, but I didn’t need to lead them back to the Mandelbrot Complex.

The Yaki still weren’t happy with me, so I didn’t stay long. I jumped back to Legend’s Home, and set a docking solution for the Lobby. With a few minutes to breath, I took a look at the datapads.

The Woden schematic was a fracking screen saver. It contained just enough detail to fool from a distance, but not enough to be useful upon closer examination. The datapad included similar images for every single ship in the Terran fleet… It was a form of intelligence, but certainly not enough to justify the risks.

The second datapad was encrypted. During the 5 minutes back to the Lobby, I tried all the most common exploits and loopholes, but none of them worked. This was going to require some serious cryptanalysis.

I had gone into the meeting assuming an ambush, but there was an off chance he was on the level. I had to play the part as if the deal was going down, in case he really was willing to hand over military secrets for cash. There was never any Asylum to offer, but you can buy a lot of safety and comfort for 500M credits. So, real credits, and real negotiations, instead of guns blazing. In the end, it hadn’t mattered.

Stacy was waiting for me when I arrived that evening. “How did it go?”

“About how we expected, aside from the explosions and getting shot. Within my contingency plans, at least. The trip was mostly a waste of time. I don’t suppose you know any cryptanalysts that can crack this thing in a hurry?” I waved the datapad in the air.

“Perhaps. Want me to take a look?”

“Depends. Tomes had intel on me he shouldn’t have had. I’m not entirely certain I trust OTAS at the moment.”

She looked at me for a moment, then shrugged. “That won’t be a problem, then. I don’t work for the military.”

We stared at each other. When she wasn’t more forthcoming, I handed her the datapad. She was either Private, Corporate, or Federal. Private or Corporate I could handle on my own. Federal, but non-military, meant she was part of the Intelligence community. Frankly, I could use their help about now. I was in over my head.

The so-called Major tucked the datapad into her belt. “Now what?”

“Now I move on to contingency Plan C.”

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 04:30

For the record... you know how I was just talking about the gameplay changing my plans? Welp, here's an example.

-----

“Jackson, wake up.”

I heard some rattling from within his quarters, then the large black man stood before me at his door. He shook his head like it would wring the sleep from his eyes, then looked at me wearily. “Yeah boss? What’s up?”

“It’s go time.”

“Now?”

“Right now. My Op went south. At this point, I’ve got 3 counts of murder and an empty datapad to show for it. Every minute counts.”

He turned his back on me, and trod back into his quarters. I waited. From around the corner, I heard a rattle, a hiss, and a gasp. He returned, and handed me a hypospray. I looked at his questioningly. “Combat Stims,“ he replied. “You look like hell, and it sounds like it’s going to be a long night.”

I shook the metal cylinder, and pressed the nozzle to my inner elbow. There was a loud hiss, and my veins froze. I gasped. When the sensation subside, I could still feel the chemicals working their way through my blood stream. Yup. Definitely awake now.

“Go wake the men, and prep the teams. How many have we got?”

“We’ve got five fireteams as of yesterday. You lucked out; I’m number twenty-one.”

“Alright, see you in the docking hanger.”

-----

Creeping into the bedroom late at night was a familiar challenge: make enough noise so that Maddy didn’t freak out, but little enough to keep her dozing. I bent over and gave her a hug.

“Muu? Ah. Don’t forget the chicken,” she mumbled sleepily.

I kissed her neck. “I love you, dearest. Sleep well. I’ll be back soon.”

“Loves…” she wrapped both her arms around one of mine, and went back to sleep. I stayed that way for a moment, then carefully extract myself.

Thulhu was waiting by the bedroom door. I gave her a hug too.

-----

The Woden is confused. Nobody can tell if it’s a Destroyer or a Carrier. 36 guns, 30 dockable ships, 12GJ of shielding, and 90m/s… nothing compares to it. Now that my non-violent plans had fallen through, it was my intent to capture one. The hard part was finding one… or so I thought.

Jupiter had two, along with an Odin, surrounded by more M7s than I cared to count. This was not a wise place to engage. I made another pass through all of known Terran space, but found nothing. It appears I would be forced to do the capture in contented territory.

I hopped down to Asteroid belt, and flinched. Well, damn. Change of plan.

-----

Ban Rider had been in charge of an ATF Valhalla for six minutes when he made his first mistake.

“Jump to the Asteroid Belt. Upon arrival, turn Port 90 degrees, and set the throttle to -10m/s,” he ordered.

The helmsman was a fresh Ensign, but good at following orders. He did exactly as told. The jump went smoothly. A few moments after they arrived, there was a slight bump, and a minor explosion.

“What was that?”

The Ensign gulped, and looked up. “That was the Jump Beacon, sir.”

The new Captain paled. “All stop. We’ll guard this sector for the moment.”

“Yes sir.”

-----

Ban Rider had been in charge for 27 minutes when the AGI invaded.

“Please repeat that, Ensign?”

“I’m counting 20 Xenon Corvettes at the South gate, and moving our direction. PXs, sir. A brief scan suggests 800MJ shields and Pulsed Beam Emitters.”

Ban was not intimidated. He was captain of a Valhalla; the most dangerous warship of the Terran fleet. “All hands, Battle Stations. Incoming AGI fleet!”

-----

Tracy Brooks slammed the throttle, and dumped the Vidar out of the Valhalla’s docking bay. She’d been waiting to take the fight to the AGI all her life, and now they’d brought the fight to her. Her ship was no Vali, but it’d taken a lot of favors to get her assigned to an M6 at all.

The Valhalla was already taking heavy shield damage, so there was no time to be picky. She lined up with the first target she could find, and unload a persistent stream and Matter/Antimatter rounds. The PX absorbed the blows, but was not interested in dodging the incoming fire. She swung around for a second pass, and finished it off.

Her next target went down faster as she dumped a couple Spectre missiles from her meager cargo hold. If they’re not going to dodge, no reason not to use them. The explosion blinded her briefly, and from the corner of her eye she saw thrusters ignite on a near invisible set of projectiles.

Boarding Pods? The AGI are boarding the Valhalla?

-----

Jackson looked at me across the commlink. “This isn’t a Woden, boss.”

I shrugged. “The opportunity presented itself. It was this, or try to take a carrier while in the presence of two other carriers. Can you make it work?”

Jackson grinned. “Of course we can make it work. Probably.” His face fell as he finished his scan of the Hull. “Maybe.”

-----

Twenty minutes later, we were drifting towards the Federal Argon Shipyard in Argon Prime. It was difficult to find friendly sectors with Jump Beacons, and the Valhalla needed some minor repairs.

I was doing administrative work. Uncertain of the Terran response, I issued orders to all my freighters to pull back from Terran space. Once that was done, I pulled up my Messages.

To: Riordan Clery
Date: 768-05-27 03:26

A recent investigation has concluded at a Terran facility you recently visited. Station logs indicate that you have performed a great service to the Terran people by terminating a traitor and spy, Sir Tomes Nedley. In appreciation for this feat, and your outstanding loyalty and dedication, we are Promoting you to Hero of Sol and granting you Command Access. We are honored to have you representing our people and interests.

Thank you, and congratulations.

United Space Command
General James Randall

I stared at the message, and laughed. With Hero of Sol status, I had the authority to purchase a Woden, no questions asked. Too late for that now. I opened the next message.

To: Riordan Clery
Date: 768-05-27 08:53

Two ships owned by you were seen at the scene of an AGI invasion earlier this morning. Until further investigations can be performed, you are now considered an Insurgent and Known AGI Sympathizer. Your kind is not welcome in Terran space.

AGI Task Force
Agent Anthony Quinn

Oh well… easy come, easy go. I waited for the Valhalla to dock, hopped back to the Dearg, and set the autopilot for home. I needed a nap.

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 12:08

A Valhalla. And 20 PXs to take down its shields. Hot damn. Hope you didn't lose anyone. I always worry Jackson's going to die on these ops :P

Did the Valhalla really take out the jump beacon, or was that creative license?

Favorite quote, though:
Poseidon wrote:Thulhu was waiting by the bedroom door. I gave her a hug too.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 12:29

I'll be honest, I didn't really want a Valhalla. But the Wodens were in a bad spot, and Riordan would want the Valhalla if he had the chance.

The 20 PXs were my super-secret surprise I've been working on this entire time. Using only Xenon ships to capture an ATF vessel seems like an excellent way to camouflage the espionage activities required of me by the Colonel. But, Xenon ships require fully 5-star marines, and they still chew through your boarding parties. And no Xenon ships can use boarding pods, so I had to bounce something into sector for at least a second. I considered using a Terran vessel, but that would have been traceable anyway, so I didn't bother.

I stumbled across the Valhalla while looking for a Woden to capture. The Valhalla can't use jump gates; it MUST use a Jump Beacon. There was no Jump Beacon in Asteroid Belt, so I took creative license to cover the mistake.

All 21 marines survived. The timing there was literal though... my 21st marine finished his/her training minutes before I called Taranis out for the Op.

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 12:39

A shame it's impossible to raise ATF reputation...so far as I know. Now you're stuck with that last part.

I kept wondering what you meant with all the big brother/little brother stuff. Guess now that question has been answered.

Good call on the jump beacon, though. Not sure I would have even noticed.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 12:49

Well, I could raise my ATF reputation using the complexes I have in Terran space. They'll still trade with them, and generate positive reputation. That said,
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
[redacted].

I had intended to personally pilot a Q for the event, but I was tired of dragging out the plot waiting for marines to train, so I kicked off the pending conflict a bit early. This forced me into a situation where I couldn't be directly involved in the fight, which was more suspenseful for me as a player, anyway.

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 12:52

I rather enjoyed the way it turned out too. Wonder if we'll see either of the named Terrans again.

Spoilering yourself. Love it.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 14:38

Awwww... almost a pity they promoted you to Hero of Sol just moments before you took their flagship :D
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 16:13

The nap was not meant to be.

My return home was lost among the flurry of activity at the Lobby. It’s no small effort to outfit a wing of Xenon ships, and the ones that survived were being refueled and rearmed. I had no intention of using them again, but no reason not to keep them loaded at this point.

The clock read a little after 9am. I’d been up literally all night… so I was surprised to see Stacy and Jackson standing in the docking hanger in full combat gear. My inquisitive look resulted in a wave from Stacy and another metal cylinder from Jackson. The Major gave us both a disapproving look, but I was dead on my feet so I welcomed the Stim.

“What’s up,” I asked when I could speak again.

“I finished decrypting the second datapad. No schematics, but bad news nonetheless,” Stacy said as she handed me the tablet.

I scanned the data files she had open. Emails. Transmissions. Orders. There were numerous communications between Edgar and Tomes over the last few months, long before I came on the scene. “Son of a bitch,” I muttered.

“Yup,” she agreed. “Tarquin is the traitor.”

“And you’re a spy,” I mentioned. “For whom, precisely?”

“Argon Intelligence. He was very careful to keep my work compartmentalized; I believe he always suspected me.”

I sighed. Jackson was looking back and forth between us. “What was his angle?” he asked.

Stacy spoke up. “Scapegoat. He planned to defect to the ATF for some reason. While the Federation will accept almost anyone who requests an Asylum, the Terrans are a bit more mercenary, and require some additional incentive. He offered Commonwealth tech, and needed a scapegoat.” She gestured towards me. “You. Tomes was supposed to kill you. Terrans get the tech. Tomes and Tarquin both look like heroes to their respective sides, and the Colonel can retire to Earth with no strings attached.”

“Except you two are too good at your jobs,” I observed. “Between the Spec Ops gear and the Marine Training, I got out alive.”

Stacy laughed. “This isn’t entirely our fault. You went from lab rat to interstellar billionaire in months. It was bound to attract some attention, and the cashflow certainly enabled you to do things nobody expected.” She gestured at the Dearg.

“I still need to make a couple modifications to that design. Anyway, why are we standing here? What’s the next move?”

Jackson and Stacy glanced at each other. “We go over to OTAS HQ and rough up a fugitive.”

I turned around. “All aboard. Let’s go make a mess.”

-----

The mess was not meant to be either. Or rather, it had already taken place. Tarquin’s office was a small disaster, and he wasn’t present. Given the lack of personal effects, it was safe to assume he wasn’t coming back.

Stacy gestured towards the wall between reception and his office, and Jackson nodded. The marine set his footing, and punched a hole in the wall near the corner. As he stepped back, Stacy reached in and dug around, then withdrew a small box: a recording device.

It took her a few minutes to download the data to her workstation. Aside from audio logs, it also contained logs of all wireless traffic, encrypted or otherwise. She pulled up the most recent transmission.

To: …
Date: 768-05-27 08:11

Your goat jumped the fence. Fall back. We’re done waiting.

AQ

“So what does this mean?” I asked.

Stacy smiled. “It means you get to join a real clandestine operation, instead of the fake bull Edgar dumped on you. Congratulations on your promotion, Field Agent Clery. You can keep the pseudonym.”

“Wonderful. I sort of wanted some time to myself after all of this.”

The Agent shrugged. “If Tarquin defected to the ATF, then the war is about to start in earnest. Get you affairs in order, and then join the War Effort. I have faith in you, Mac.”

Jackson nodded. “You’ve got this boss. We’ve got your back.”

I sighed and trudged back towards the ship. It appears I had a couple more things to do before I got that nap.

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 16:19

And I thought Tarquin was a prick before.

Almost time to start the game's actual plots, then?

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 16:49

There’s nothing quite like a grandiose explosion to end your day.

I sat in Megnir, hiding in a corner of the map, watching hostile freighters and military vessels fly by. Tomorrow, I would be killing them. Today, they were buying food and purified water from my factories.

…and weapons. Commonwealth Weapons. Weapons that would be killing Commonwealth soldiers.

We couldn’t have that.

Since the first food complex was built, I’d been adjusting the prices. Paying more for goods, selling the products for cheaper. I was taking a loss on everything, but a large portion of the Terran economy revolved around the 400M in stations I’d built for them.

Oh well.

Self Destruct Sequence Initiated. 10… 9… 8…

It took a while, but in the end, all weapon facilities were destroyed. I left the food, water, energy, and mines. Maybe they’d develop a taste for Chelt or BoFu, and end the war for easier access? Who knows.

My work done, I hopped back to the Lobby, and fell asleep. Tomorrow, I went to war.

-----

THE END

Thanks for reading my Albion Prelude Prelude. It’s been a good seven weeks, but I have to put down the game for now. Playing and Writing are exceptionally time consuming, and real life happens. Perhaps I’ll pick it up again after things settle down.

There will be one last update to the Sidhe Ships mod, to address some power concerns on the Dearg. Likewise, I will post one last updated pdf export of the story content. I'll make a save available, if someone requests it.

Also, I will still be reading and involved with Song of Obsidian’s DiD, so go over there and read his (her?) incredible writing.

Old MacDonald, signing off.

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 18:33

Bah. Life always gets in the way of good things.

It's been a good read though. I'll miss your story, and do hope you can and choose to bring it back sometime.

And thanks for the added pressure of your plug right before I post something I'm not even sure I like yet. Damned X2 sagt Bussi auf Bauch sea god...

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Thu, 25. Jul 13, 19:50

Awww.. RL sucks :shock:

Come back soon! :P

[ external image ]

jimlpearce

Post by jimlpearce » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 20:39

Dammit... I finally catch up and you've finished! :(

Very enjoyable read though Poseidon. Thank you for sharing your story :)
"You win again gravity"

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 14:15

Thanks. I'm sad it had to end, and it bothers me that I had to crash through the ending so quickly, but I needed the time and attention for other projects. I haven't forgotten that I still owe you guys an updated Ship Mod, and pdf export. I hope you enjoyed the trip while it last.

Return to “Creative Universe”