Capping an Enhanced Chimera?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thatguyfromvienna

Capping an Enhanced Chimera?

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 13:37

Since I'm new to the game and the biggest fighter I currently own is a Solano M4, I want to upgrade to an M3 sooner or later. Oh - and I don't like the praised Nova at all so this is not an option.

Looking at the specs, the Enhanced Chimera looks like an amazing ship.
OK shields, decent speed, two turrets, a huge laser generator, two turrets and a great choice of weapons.

Since this baby obviously can't be purchased anywhere, I'd love to know whether it can be captured.

Adarksoul

Post by Adarksoul » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 13:55

that ship i believe you can only get through one of the corporation missions only, i'd recommend a Mamba Vanguard with PSG's or try capping yourself a Xenon LX.

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 13:57

Really?
Hmmmmm...
I was actually looking for something quite different from my M4.
The Mamba has weaker shields, not that much stronger laser generator and no turrets.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 13:58

Knowing for sure which X game you are playing would help those giving advice too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Adarksoul

Post by Adarksoul » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 14:04

yes but because of its speedy and overpowering nature thanks to the PSG's thats why i'd recommend the Mamba. but for overall reliability you should look into an M3+ ship kinda hard to go wrong there i think. ahhh yes i was talking about TC i dont know about the enhanced chimera in AP.

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 14:11

Yikes.
You're right, of course.
X3TC it is.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 14:32

The Advanced Perseus has the same weapon compatibility (except MD) and shielding, while being faster. Only drawback is the moderate sized cargo bay.
You can get one as a derelict, or capture a high tech trader.
Right on commander !

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:21

The Solano is a unique ship; it has speed of an M4 with shields of an M3.

As mentioned, any of the M3+ fighters will run rings around it: Tenjin, Eclipse, Cutlass, LX, etc. Even the standard Chimera. Most M3's are slower than the Solano, although they are often stronger in hull, laser power, turrets, and available loadouts.

I had an Advanced Perseus in my recent game, and it really is a nice fighter. If you want "different", then try an Eclipse (200MJ shields) or Spitfyre (M6 guns with M5 speed).

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:24

A good way of getting the Advanced Perseus for free:
Spoiler
Show
Advanced Perseus can also be found in Duke´s citadel, claimable ship without owner, just claim it and it´s yours.
But I really recommend getting the Spitfyre, it´s just brutal combat master which never gets hit and packs amazing punch with those 8 frontal prototype EMPCs.

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:29

I think I'll give the Perseus a try then.
I like the price tag, to be honest. :wink:

Regarding my initial question... The Enhanced Chimera cannot be capped then, right?

Regarding the Spitfyre... Do I have to follow the Terran plot to a certain point to be able to purchase one or can I just fly to that sector, wave my credit card and fly home with that baby?

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:32

Really sorry for being so bothersome.
This game is terribly complex but I totally love it.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:32

Yes, you have to play the Terran plot to be able to buy a Spitfyre. It gives you something to look forward to. :)

BTW, it's the Prototype Matter/Antimatter Launchers (PM/AML's) that are the M6 weapons. And they are ammo-based, so you can fire them as much as you like without draining laser energy.

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:37

DrBullwinkle wrote:It gives you something to look forward to. :)
Probably.
It didn't take me too long to realize that this game will be on my HD for a very long time. :)

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 15:39

thatguyfromvienna wrote:It didn't take me too long to realize that this game will be on my HD for a very long time. :)
Yeah, X3 is a game that you can play for hundreds (or thousands) of hours.

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 16:28

thatguyfromvienna wrote:

Probably.
It didn't take me too long to realize that this game will be on my HD for a very long time. :)
You might loose sleep and DrBullwinkle is right you could spend thousand of hours just playing this game. I'm past the 3 k mark myself. XD
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 17:08

DrBullwinkle wrote:BTW, it's the Prototype Matter/Antimatter Launchers (PM/AML's) that are the M6 weapons. And they are ammo-based, so you can fire them as much as you like without draining laser energy.
Actually ammo based guns do use some energy. In the case of PLMAM is is rather significant (50/s) so the Spityre can not fire 8 of them continiously.
Right on commander !

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 17:44

Aragosnat wrote:I'm past the 3 k mark myself. XD
Wait... We're talking real time here?
3k+ hours as in four months straight?
Holy...

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 30. Mar 13, 19:27

thatguyfromvienna wrote: Regarding my initial question... The Enhanced Chimera cannot be capped then, right?
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3565931 will help here

Also, some of the enhanced/prototype etc ships can be found posing as hi-tech traders (note the hyphen in the ship title) if you want to try pirating one..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

thatguyfromvienna

Post by thatguyfromvienna » Sun, 31. Mar 13, 11:14

Snafu_X3 wrote:Also, some of the enhanced/prototype etc ships can be found posing as hi-tech traders (note the hyphen in the ship title) if you want to try pirating one..
Thanks a lot for that link.
So I MIGHT get my Enhanced Chimera at one point...

So far, I'm totally happy with the Advanced Perseus.
Initial weapon config was 4xHEPT, 4xPBE.
Attacked a few ships to test this config (had no former experience at all with these weapons) and then changed to 4xHEPT, 2xPBE, 2xPAC.
It's amazing how quickly PBEs strip enemy shields. And my generator. ^^
So I figured two would be sufficient for standard encounters.

The Perseus suits my play style quite well.
While I consider myself a skillful pilot (I have a huge first person shooter background), I like my first approach to be heads on and take out at least three smaller crafts with massive HEPT fire. This is where the additional shields are a nice asset.
Then it's dogfight fun where PBE and PAC come in handy.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 31. Mar 13, 17:59

As you've found, HEPT isn't much use against smaller than M3 - you may get the occasional hit, but in general the smaller faster ships will dodge your fire quite easily. PAC or PRG is much more useful here, or PBE for capping (the lack of range for the latter makes it less useful here, IMO)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”