Question about editing weapons

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Taro8
x3tc

Question about editing weapons

Post by Taro8 » Wed, 20. Mar 13, 22:40

I have a question about editing weapon stats: does changing them require a new game for changes to take an effect?

Im asking as I wanted to edit Mass Driver in XRM mod in order to extend the range (while halving firerate), to make it more like mass effect mass drivers. However the changes did not take the effect, even though I edited the latest dat file with the weapons.

Would I need to extract the Tbullets and Tlasers and put them somewhere else?

Or a restart is required?

Or Im dumb and did something completely wrong (aside from tinkering with the game balance :P )

BTW: I edited last cat file containing both tlaser and tbullets.

PawpTawp
x3tc

Post by PawpTawp » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 00:25

That's weird. I'm no expert but nothing I've done to TBullets/TLasers has ever required a restart.

Anyway you wouldn't happen to know how to get the AI to target things past 10km would you? :P

Taro8
x3tc

Post by Taro8 » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 01:00

I tried editing it again. All changes are saved in cat file like I wanted them to, but when I load my savegame the changes do not take the effect and MD keeps its 1.3km range (its XRM, remember). I checked cat files again and my changes did remain.

BTW: I only want 10km range nothing more, so AI limitation dont concern me too much. Oh and before anyone will question my idea for changes (I know you will :wink: ): with high multiplication of hull mod for XRM (I wanted long fights) the mass driver is pretty much useless due to low damage, short range (oddly enough) and bullet speed (even more odd). So I decided to turn it into long range gun you can use to plink at capitals and slow ships, while staying beyond range of pretty much anything.

I still cant get the changes to work though.

PawpTawp
x3tc

Post by PawpTawp » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 01:15

Using the X3 Editor? Maybe you have the wrong cat file selected. If you're using AP make sure you see "addon" in the address. I did that once before and had to redo everything. :x

As for myself I'm trying to turn all cap ship weapons into slow firing long range nukes. Works great at 10km but I want MOAR RANGE!!!11!!

Maybe if I replace all guns with missile turrets and use super fast missiles with zero turn rate. Same thing pretty much. But then I'd have to change jobs so all the AI ships have ammo.

The hole keeps getting deeper.. :x :x :x

Edit: Unless there's a way to make missile turrets not dependent on ammo...

Taro8
x3tc

Post by Taro8 » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 01:29

:oops: I kinda messed it up and did not go into the "addon" folder inside the cat. However editing it did not changed anything in the game. I triple checked all cat files to make sure I was editing latest addon Tbullets.

I just dont understand what Im doing wrong.

PawpTawp
x3tc

Post by PawpTawp » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 01:44

If I'm reading that right there shouldn't be an addon folder inside the cat. What I mean is under the "configuration" tab you have to select "game profiles" then "add" and make sure the path under "game executable" points to the Albion Prelude .exe file.

Once that's done go back to "game profiles" and make sure you have the profile with the path pointing to the AP exe loaded. If you did all that and you're still having trouble then I'm stumped. :?

P.S. At the top of the window make sure the path is right.

Taro8
x3tc

Post by Taro8 » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 10:03

IT WORKS!

Thanks for the info about configuration. I had to point X3 Editor to the non-steam exe I was using. I didnt knew that this would actually made a difference.

PawpTawp
x3tc

Post by PawpTawp » Thu, 21. Mar 13, 23:25

Yea no prob. Worst thing that ever happened to me was figuring out the editor. Now I can't play more than 3 hours without tweaking something LOL

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”