Help: I'm broken I can't seem to enjoy this game without Multiplayer.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

User avatar
Kane Hart
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri, 4. Nov 05, 02:18
x4

Help: I'm broken I can't seem to enjoy this game without Multiplayer.

Post by Kane Hart » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 07:33

Now this is not a rant for MP that would be cool but more a rant against myself. I don't know what happen to my taste in games. X3 series is what I consider one the most perfect space games on the market. But I have turned out to be some kind of Multiplayer freak after playing so many MMO's and now running game servers for the past few years including recent 2 years doing a pretty large Minecraft server!

Frig am I just broken or what the heck is wrong with me?

Is there even a cure for a such thing?

Virtualaughing
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat, 14. Jun 08, 20:40
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 08:46

To the bottom of the economy the SILICON might be an issue for a new player in a dense populated universe.

If you start to destroy silicon mines you may have a chance but not forong as surely i will hunt you down withhe rest of the players........
and so on..... .....
.....
X games with it's forum is good way to learning english from and having fun....
In the history of X-Evolution no other X game than Rebirth lost more than gained in comparison of the previous title
I think that egosoft has already developed our doom because Xenon AI will reaches the stars :D

GlassDeviant
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun, 4. Nov 12, 13:06
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 09:39

MMOs are great, I have played (and even beta tested) many of them. I love the social aspect and even consider several of them to be a awesome chat clients that just happen to have games attached to them.

That said, I have given up playing MMOs for good because of the one thing you can never get rid of: the company is attempting to make money off them.

Of course they are, they have to live after all, and I don't blame them.

But, nearly every "evil" of MMOs is directly due to the fact that the devs/publisher have to make money.

Griefing in EVE is rampant and devs do nothing because the overwhelming majority of paying customers do it.

Game currency selling is rampant in the entire industry and the publishers grudgingly turn a blind eye because it gives new players a way to bypas the "grind", meaning they will likely stick around longer because they don't have to put in the effort the existing players already have already put into get to the endgame content, and no matter how much the old players bitch they are outnumbered by the new. Serves them right for raving about how great the game in on public fora

:twisted:

the list goes on...
bibo ergo sum

User avatar
Kane Hart
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri, 4. Nov 05, 02:18
x4

Post by Kane Hart » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 10:48

GlassDeviant wrote:MMOs are great, I have played (and even beta tested) many of them. I love the social aspect and even consider several of them to be a awesome chat clients that just happen to have games attached to them.

That said, I have given up playing MMOs for good because of the one thing you can never get rid of: the company is attempting to make money off them.

Of course they are, they have to live after all, and I don't blame them.

But, nearly every "evil" of MMOs is directly due to the fact that the devs/publisher have to make money.

Griefing in EVE is rampant and devs do nothing because the overwhelming majority of paying customers do it.

Game currency selling is rampant in the entire industry and the publishers grudgingly turn a blind eye because it gives new players a way to bypas the "grind", meaning they will likely stick around longer because they don't have to put in the effort the existing players already have already put into get to the endgame content, and no matter how much the old players bitch they are outnumbered by the new. Serves them right for raving about how great the game in on public fora

:twisted:

the list goes on...
Agreed. Things like Freelancer is what I enjoyed being able to not only mod your game but also running a server was amazing. Someday X3 will have that and hopefully not dumbed down at all. I'm worried though that they might try to skip Multiplayer and go right for MMO.

I think I need to practice playing X3 a bit more and the more I do it the more I think I can get into it. Is there any known elements to share information about your game? I saw something about exporting your stats and putting into your profile. That is a pretty neat step anything else? Be cool if there was external web tools like maps, or live information and such you can actually share with friends and such hehe.

God I'm such a nerd with an addiction problem :P

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
Posts: 19862
Joined: Fri, 16. Apr 04, 19:21
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 11:17

I think the closest it ever came to what you want was this: SMPX3TC. It died unfortunately, I think due to version control and Real Life issues.

There are no practical prospects for collective/cooperative/online play for X3.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

User avatar
Arsaneus
Posts: 1963
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Re: Help: I'm broken I can't seem to enjoy this game without Multiplayer.

Post by Arsaneus » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 11:36

Kane Hart wrote:Now this is not a rant for MP that would be cool but more a rant against myself. I don't know what happen to my taste in games. X3 series is what I consider one the most perfect space games on the market. But I have turned out to be some kind of Multiplayer freak after playing so many MMO's and now running game servers for the past few years including recent 2 years doing a pretty large Minecraft server!

Frig am I just broken or what the heck is wrong with me?

Is there even a cure for a such thing?
I know what you mean. For me the cure was: Wife. Seriously...after the marriage I simply didn't have the time to play MMOs with my friends and I had to go back to single players games.

Playing a MMO isn't that great if you get distracted every 2.4 minutes because of wife demanding attention or baby doing what babies do.

Arsaneus
Image

User avatar
TTD
Posts: 10913
Joined: Sun, 6. Jul 08, 10:29
xr

Post by TTD » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 12:00

Alan Phipps wrote:I think the closest it ever came to what you want was this: SMPX3TC. It died unfortunately, I think due to version control and Real Life issues.

There are no practical prospects for collective/cooperative/online play for X3.
I miss that,at times.

If enough players want to restart,I'm sure we could do something.
Just need a site to upload our saves to and download again when our turn to play.

Yeah, RL plays havoc with community gaming. :(

User avatar
Kane Hart
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri, 4. Nov 05, 02:18
x4

Re: Help: I'm broken I can't seem to enjoy this game without Multiplayer.

Post by Kane Hart » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 12:02

Alan Phipps wrote:I think the closest it ever came to what you want was this: SMPX3TC. It died unfortunately, I think due to version control and Real Life issues.

There are no practical prospects for collective/cooperative/online play for X3.
That looks pretty cool and yeah that is to bad. Then again its not simply scripting not saying scripting is not hard but would probably require a whole new language to create a backend for communications.

If only I did not become so lazy in life and sat down and learned a language. I would do something even simple like sending a message through and then just go from there hehe. Silly I know but eh I guess that is where my addiction issue comes out to play :P

Arsaneus wrote:
Kane Hart wrote:Now this is not a rant for MP that would be cool but more a rant against myself. I don't know what happen to my taste in games. X3 series is what I consider one the most perfect space games on the market. But I have turned out to be some kind of Multiplayer freak after playing so many MMO's and now running game servers for the past few years including recent 2 years doing a pretty large Minecraft server!

Frig am I just broken or what the heck is wrong with me?

Is there even a cure for a such thing?
I know what you mean. For me the cure was: Wife. Seriously...after the marriage I simply didn't have the time to play MMOs with my friends and I had to go back to single players games.

Playing a MMO isn't that great if you get distracted every 2.4 minutes because of wife demanding attention or baby doing what babies do.

Arsaneus
Here I was planning to be alone forever just to not have that happen but now that I'm getting so bored with gaming mainly because my taste buds seem to be shot... Ugh that is not looking to bad.

User avatar
Atkara
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu, 18. Mar 04, 14:04
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 14:58

Games of all sorts, are about carrot chasing, whether that would be an ending, an epic piece of equipment, the sense of the 'x' accomplishment, etc.

The social part of MMOs is with people, after the same carrot like you. What happens though, if you've had enough carrots and you grew sick of them?

You land back into the real life. How hard this landing might be, depends on how much of yourself you spent in playing ;)

User avatar
Gazz
Posts: 12430
Joined: Fri, 13. Jan 06, 17:39
x3tc

Post by Gazz » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 15:04

Atkara wrote:What happens though, if you've had enough carrots and you grew sick of them?
An expansion is released. With +2 Carrots.

The only way to stop playing an MMO is when real life snaps you out of it - or when the gameplay changes drastically.
In Anarchy Online I simply packed up and left when PvP became unavoidable.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ace_killer
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat, 31. Jan 04, 11:25
x4

Re: Help: I'm broken I can't seem to enjoy this game without Multiplayer.

Post by ace_killer » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 15:35

Arsaneus wrote:
I know what you mean. For me the cure was: Wife. Seriously...after the marriage I simply didn't have the time to play MMOs with my friends and I had to go back to single players games.

Playing a MMO isn't that great if you get distracted every 2.4 minutes because of wife demanding attention or baby doing what babies do.

Arsaneus
This pretty much says it all for me too, for years i was on MMO's like Eve but now im under the thumb with a partner my attention has come crashing back to the X Games (Not that it ever really left). Having played from early XBTF days right up to AP I cant say ive been disappointed with any of the games and am eagerly waiting the arival of Rebirth :)

Ace

Demosthenes_aus
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 13. Nov 12, 04:06

Post by Demosthenes_aus » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 17:44

I think this thread nailed it. I like Starcraft because you can jump in and out without too much RL damage but MMOs are basically full of RL losers with no life that take the first out of it.

Those of with a life just want a bit if casual fun, not endless nights forever chasing upgrades and smashing newbs.

Perhaps some casual co-op or mêlée would be fun but not MMO...

Jumee
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sat, 29. Oct 11, 20:19
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 18:18

regarding PvP, griefing and etc, am I really the only player who thinks there is nothing wrong with it? As long as there are some sort of defense mechanism to protect beginners (police, bounty system on the most evil players, heavily defended areas etc etc), there is nothing wrong with PvP

IMHO, PvP is the only advantage MMO can have over single-player game, since obviously MMO wont have a good storyline, interesting quests and the likes, so the only thing that makes it worthwhile is that real people are that much better as opponents than any game AI will ever be (in the near future at least :D)

I myself rarely play MMO's, exactly because* most of them have rather "lame" PvP systems and as a result are just a watered-down SP


* well the other reason is of course that being in university I rarely have time to play games

User avatar
Kane Hart
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri, 4. Nov 05, 02:18
x4

Post by Kane Hart » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 22:11

Gazz wrote:
Atkara wrote:What happens though, if you've had enough carrots and you grew sick of them?
An expansion is released. With +2 Carrots.

The only way to stop playing an MMO is when real life snaps you out of it - or when the gameplay changes drastically.
In Anarchy Online I simply packed up and left when PvP became unavoidable.
You don't know how much I want to slap you. One my fav games of all times. The pvp thing was getting annoying ended up turning into WoW if that is hopefully not insulting to anyone here. Grind grind grind for gear was becoming the biggest joke. I loved that game and I will come back if and I say IF they ever get a new engine up and running. With Secret World doing so bad I hear they had to do even more cuts.

Jumee wrote:regarding PvP, griefing and etc, am I really the only player who thinks there is nothing wrong with it? As long as there are some sort of defense mechanism to protect beginners (police, bounty system on the most evil players, heavily defended areas etc etc), there is nothing wrong with PvP

IMHO, PvP is the only advantage MMO can have over single-player game, since obviously MMO wont have a good storyline, interesting quests and the likes, so the only thing that makes it worthwhile is that real people are that much better as opponents than any game AI will ever be (in the near future at least :D)

I myself rarely play MMO's, exactly because* most of them have rather "lame" PvP systems and as a result are just a watered-down SP


* well the other reason is of course that being in university I rarely have time to play games
In a MMORPG like Eve-Online or any MMORPG I dislike it. I like to PVP but more on my terms then anything. The griefing the trolling and all that comes with PVP for me is just stressful. If I were a parent I would say it be like having another dozen kids on top of what they already got heh.

Though if say freelancer / X3 and etc have PVP in a none MMORPG environment where the server admins can sort of control it and run their own rules then F Ya its a lot of fun for example like my Minecraft server has a special PVP World and we still have certain rules.

User avatar
DrBullwinkle
Posts: 5704
Joined: Sat, 17. Dec 11, 02:44
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 23. Nov 12, 23:13

Jumee wrote:IMHO, PvP is the only advantage MMO can have over single-player game
Agreed.

A major problem with PvP, over the Internet, is "latency". No matter how fast your Internet connection is, the time it takes for an action to be communicated from server to server, takes time. If players are in different countries, it is not uncommon for latency to be a significant fraction of the player's reaction time.

(Average reaction time is around 300 milliseconds. Less than that for good combat pilots. International latency can be 100-200 ms or more.)

The result is that players closer to the server have a substantial advantage over more distant players. This effect made Freelancer MP worthwhile only if you were close to the server.

In order to make PvP fun and effective, you would have to slow down combat substantially. No insta-hit lasers; no fast-maneuvering slides or strafes. Combat would become more strategic; like submarine warfare.

However, when you make combat more strategic, it takes the furball-dogfighting-fun out of it.

In other words, PvP is, technically, nearly impossible to balance (other than for LAN games).

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”