Running X3 in a Virtual Machine/Preventing SETA from stopping.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sabuu

Running X3 in a Virtual Machine/Preventing SETA from stopping.

Post by Sabuu » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 18:08

Hey, I started playing X3 yesterday and I find the flighttimes pretty annoying.

I was wondering if I could just use X3 in a VM so I can tab out while the game keeps running.

Well I can, but when I leave X3 with anypossible hotkey, SETA shuts down. The game keeps runnning, but it takes the ship forever to get anywhere.

Any workaround for that?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 19:02

why would you want to run it in a virtual machine ?
VM's are not the best for games as they usually have additional layers between the game and the hardware causing it to slow down.

Sabuu

Re: Running X3 in a Virtual Machine/Preventing SETA from stopping.

Post by Sabuu » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 19:05

Sabuu wrote:I was wondering if I could just use X3 in a VM so I can tab out while the game keeps running.
Thats why im using a VM. The game doesnt take up much ressources and it runs pretty without problems so far. Only thing is the slow pace of my ship right now ;) So, any way to keep SENZA running?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 19:10

but you can do all that without having a VM

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 19:21

Windowed mode + run in background + alt-tab

works for me, every time.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 19:29

you need to have virtual bla-bla googles cause they are generally bound to alt so that allows you to minimize without cancelling seta

Sabuu

Post by Sabuu » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 19:42

Jack08 wrote:Windowed mode + run in background + alt-tab

When I run the game in Windowed mode, the taskbar is layed upon the game it self, so I cant see the bottom of the game screen (where it shows your ship/target).

How can I make the game run in the background?
Jumee wrote:you need to have virtual bla-bla googles cause they are generally bound to alt so that allows you to minimize without cancelling seta
sorry, what?!

Sabuu

Post by Sabuu » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 20:08

Okay, found a way to run the game in the background and keep everything visible they way I want it too. thx Jack08!

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 20:08

Sabuu wrote:
Jack08 wrote:Windowed mode + run in background + alt-tab

When I run the game in Windowed mode, the taskbar is layed upon the game it self, so I cant see the bottom of the game screen (where it shows your ship/target).

How can I make the game run in the background?
Jumee wrote:you need to have virtual bla-bla googles cause they are generally bound to alt so that allows you to minimize without cancelling seta
sorry, what?!
to make the game run in the background you need to select that in the options menu, the goggles thing is the equipment that allows you to zoom in in the game (its sold at most trading stations i think, and should be preinstalled at player ship by default)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 20:08

u could reduce the resolutation in windows mode so it fits in the screen without overlapping, or hide your task bar when runnign the game.

i play in fullscreen mode thou, and dont have any problems.

in game, if you go into the gameplay options, there is a setting to run in the background.

to keep SETA on, you need to make sure u hold down alt before pressing tab, and release tab before releasing alt.
most people try to press them simultanously which will disable SETA most of the time

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 22. Oct 12, 20:44

I was always able to Alt-Tab out of the game to keep the game running. I did have googles installed on most ship (didn't know its required) and of course I had the game configured to run in background. I never used windowed mode.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”