AP new TP ships are nice but a bit pointless NPC's dont fly new TS

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Greyhawk1
x3tc

AP new TP ships are nice but a bit pointless NPC's dont fly new TS

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 7. Sep 12, 19:28

They are all still outclassed by the Angel. Not sure if one of them uses a slug thrower weapon but those without that option are also useless in a fight since the power generator is so weak it cannot sustain any fire at all.

I bought a Phantom just to check it out and tried to kill an M5. I got maybe 1.5 seconds fire out of my front guns then ran out of power and was unable to fire them because one other turret fired one round every half second.

It can only ship L crates, has a low cargo capacity and similar shields. About the only thing its good for is its a bit faster and looks pretty cool.

IMO the Phantom needs a mass driver option or a bigger power generator or all those turrets are just decoration.

Also the NPC's never use the new TS ships :(

Nice designs though - especially the Split one.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Fri, 7. Sep 12, 20:04

The Angel is still one of the best TPs, due to versatility (XL cargo) and cargo bay volume.

However, 25 ms/s is not a small amount of speed when you're running several million credit passanger missions with time limits as low as 2 minutes.

As for weaponry, TP class ships are obviously not meant for combat. The Angel's shielding and speed is inferior to some other TPs, including the Phantom. So I wouldn't be so quick to label them less combat-effecient either, even if all they can do is run away better. Then again, that's exactly what a TP is supposed to do in a fight.

VincentTH
x4

Re: AP new TP ships are nice but a bit pointless NPC's dont fly new TS

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 7. Sep 12, 20:29

Greyhawk1 wrote:They are all still outclassed by the Angel. Not sure if one of them uses a slug thrower weapon but those without that option are also useless in a fight since the power generator is so weak it cannot sustain any fire at all.

I bought a Phantom just to check it out and tried to kill an M5. I got maybe 1.5 seconds fire out of my front guns then ran out of power and was unable to fire them because one other turret fired one round every half second.

It can only ship L crates, has a low cargo capacity and similar shields. About the only thing its good for is its a bit faster and looks pretty cool.

IMO the Phantom needs a mass driver option or a bigger power generator or all those turrets are just decoration.

Also the NPC's never use the new TS ships :(

Nice designs though - especially the Split one.
My favorite is the Ocelot with 200m/s speed. Power gen problem? Equip it with EBCs voila, a fighting TP w/o power problem. The Teladi TP+ is good to, but I am not a fan of Teladi ships (except the Shrike).

JackKiller2266

Post by JackKiller2266 » Fri, 7. Sep 12, 20:31

protect the cargo and get away thats all a TP needs weaps. for, and the only reason i get the TP's is if i have to move alot of people and my others hips dont have the space, that and i only buy TP's for their looks, lol, thats y i like the Mani i think it is cool

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 7. Sep 12, 21:06

NB: If you play DiD, beware of the problem of un-docking from Stock Exchange stations. If you use the Aupillock to undock, you will crash into the shining thingy on the S.E. Since X3 collision resolution only counts the shield+hull in a collision, your 1GJ shield is no match against a 50+GJ station shield!!!!!

I have had my very advanced DiD game terminated due to undocking the Ocelot from the S.E. in Argon Prime. I was aware of the problem, so I thought I'd better use the Autopilot. Little did I know that if I just undocked manually (with no acceleration), it would have worked!!!!

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 01:11

Well thats kind of my point why these are fairly useless ship additions. Their stand out feature is the number of turrets compared to a bog standard TS with its one back turret.

However this feature turns out to be useless unless the ship can equip slug throwers.

I'm all for variety but not when there seems to be little point to it. I would guess these are meant to be kind of military style transports for the war zones as a story background so they should have usable turrets at least.

Especially the Phantom. That ship desperately needs Mass Drivers. Failing that, another 500 cargo space or 20ms speed.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 01:15

No, the game describes them as luxury liners. And they're already faster than their standard TP variants.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 01:18

Crezeh wrote:No, the game describes them as luxury liners. And they're already faster than their standard TP variants.
If they are luxury liners why the guns?

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 01:30

Transporting VIPs, executives, politicians?

I fully agree they have more gun turrets than they can possibly use, which is pointless. But they're definetely not designed for combat.

The game does describe them as overdone, designed to impress. Guess that might explain the excessive amount of guns.
Last edited by Crezeh on Sat, 8. Sep 12, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 01:30

yes they are luxury ships/yachts with guns for protection. Just because the average player kills hundreds of [insert favorite punching bag badguy-race] per hour (that magically appear on his request) doesn't mean all ships in the universe have to be armed up to their teeth.

Not everything can be on the level of Springblossom or Hyperion.
€dit: ok i admit, the AP stats for those are not yacht-worthy at all :lol:
Their intended worth is around 20million and combat ability at the level of M3+. Blame ES for the stats =P
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 06:13

I've seen the new TPs being flown around by npc civilian ships. Passenger transports, employee shuttle services, and taxis if your looking to cap them.

JackKiller2266

Post by JackKiller2266 » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 06:19

i have seen a few of the New TS being flown by the NPC's, same with the new TP's i see a lot of them flying around

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 19:24

Not seen a TS - seen TP's though. I guess i've just not looked hard enough

JackKiller2266

Post by JackKiller2266 » Sat, 8. Sep 12, 20:03

it is rare to see a new TS i got lucky and was passing through a core sector when i spotted it was the Borons and a thought to my self that looks like a giant space dildo (that was the first analogy that came to my mind)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”